• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

building an mITX AMD rig...not waiting for ryzen.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jarhead7236

so i wanna build a mITX box (already have the cooler master elite 130) and see that there are no options for AM3+...any decent options out there? i don't play (m)any games...it'll mostly be used for lightroom and other photo editing. no serious video editing at all...

No there are no good options for a CPU that will perform well at that. An i5 6500 would be a much better performing option.

Current AM3+ CPUs powerful enough to do the kind of computing you outline in an efficient way would produce too much heat for a mini itx build.

Fx 6300, Fx 8300, any of those will be fine oc it a bit and thats it. That is if you don't want to wait.

My wife uses an Opteron 1389 processor for her video editing and her small crafting buisness. It's mATX in a full case however with a couple hundred mhz OC. Stock Phenom heat pipe cooler. It's quiet. Works fine.

Current AM3+ CPUs powerful enough to do the kind of computing you outline in an efficient way would produce too much heat for a mini itx build.

I guess to clarify my "workflow" (I hate that term), I only edit one shot at a time...rarely use PS as: 1. I'm not that good at it. 2. It has way more than I need. If an average LR edit takes x amount of time with my i5 7600k, I wouldn't be put off by waiting 5-10 seconds more with an FM2+ CPU (if that's somewhere close to the performance difference between the two).

I guess to clarify my "workflow" (I hate that term), I only edit one shot at a time...rarely use PS as: 1. I'm not that good at it. 2. It has way more than I need. If an average LR edit takes x amount of time with my i5 7600k, I wouldn't be put off by waiting 5-10 seconds more with an FM2+ CPU (if that's somewhere close to the performance difference between the two).

It isn't 5-10 seconds slower. Rendering something is roughly twice the amount of time. That is a bloody joke.

Just grab an i3 and an affordable board

You could probably get a great deal on5th or 6th gen parts

AMD / Intel

For what you are doing who cares what the platform is ?

Last edited:
There are new Pentium G4560 with 2 cores +HT which cost ~$70. It's like i3 and performs in many applications like 6 "core" FX. Also you can keep it silent on stock cooler. Probably the most interesting thing in Kaby Lake series.

There are new Pentium G4560 with 2 cores +HT which cost ~$70. It's like i3 and performs in many applications like 6 "core" FX. Also you can keep it silent on stock cooler. Probably the most interesting thing in Kaby Lake series.

i was just looking at those after Witchdoctor's post...

Back