• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New system, new Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mag10

Im looking at building a new system, I currently have a Fractal Design Define XLR2. While this is a great chassis I have some minor gripes about the case specifically in the cooling and size departments. My Goal is to downsize to a Midtower however maintaining the cooling capacity. What I am wanting to contain is a custom loop consisting of a 420 & 280 pair of radiators. The difficult challenge in this seems to be the compromises of such a goal. Either I have to move to a full tower or compromise in quality for the same form factor.

I have looked in to cases such as the Define S and Enthoo Series. Of course there are other options such as case labs, I don't feel this is the right time to purchase one of their cases currently for this build though they are great products IMO. So what I am looking into more specifically is if there are other cases in the wild that I may have missed. My goal again is Midtower with cooling capacity for at least 420/280 config, and if anyone has another solution not listed as of yet I am all ears.

Quite a few people have looked at this post but no replies :(

I have probably narrowed the selection down to the Define S vs Define R5. Some things that I have noticed is the build quality of the R5 is better from what I can tell. Does anyone have any input on that aspect?

Both the Define S and the R5 are very good cases. The issue you're going to run into is finding a mid tower case that can house a 420mm radiator. They're just not that common of a size. Here's a couple more options for you though.

Thermaltake Suppressor F51 (Actually very much a knockoff of the R5)

Thermaltake Core V51

Also, don't sleep on Rosewill. They have some impressive cases for the price. They're not top of the line but offer many features and the quality is better that I expected.

Best of luck~

My only issue with Thermaltake case has and always has been build quality. I understand the goals I have are somewhat out of the norm, but I want a smaller system

I am sure I could mod the XLR2 as it sits for what I'm looking for but to see my goal take effect would not be very reasonable as of now.

I am trying to stay away from 120mm fans TBH it has been a personal crusade of mine for quite some time now, and slowly the manufacturers are starting to embrace them.. somewhat.

Short of the 420 rad you have, this case packs a pretty decent punch while retaining a somewhat smallish profile:

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/carbide-series-740-high-airflow-atx-cube-case

Dimensions (L x W x H) 426 x 340 x 510mm
Maximum GPU Length: 330mm
Maximum CPU Cooler Height: 170mm
Maximum PSU Length: 225mm
Expansion Slots: 8
5.25” Drive bays: N/A
3.5” Hard Drive Bays: 3
2.5” Drive Bays: 4

Cooling Layout:
Front: 3 x 120mm or 2 x 140mm (2 x 140mm included)
Top: 2 x 120/140mm
Bottom: 2 x 120/140mm
Rear: 1 x 120/140mm (included)
Radiator Compatibility:
360mm:Front only
280mm: Front, Top, or Bottom
240mm: Front, Top, or Bottom
140mm: Front, Top, Bottom, or Rear
120mm: Front, Top, or Rear
Dust filters on all intakes
Front I/O Panel includes: USB 3.0 port (2), Headphone and Microphone jacks, Power on, Reset, and LED buttons

The only thing is it doesn't quite fit your 420 rad, with a max size of 360.

It does have the ability to fit three(Plus a single 140mm rad on the rear) separate rads though, so maybe if you wanted to spend a bit of money for two additional rads to make up for it. /shrug. I personally abhor the front panel look though, and no 5.25 bays hurts as well. I always found those bays to be very useful.

It does meet your "No 120mm fan" critera as well.

Can I ask what your beef is with 120mm fans? They've been the industry standard for I'd guess 15 years or more and the improvements they have made to them over this time span is incredible.

Short of the 420 rad you have, this case packs a pretty decent punch while retaining a somewhat smallish profile:

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/carbide-series-740-high-airflow-atx-cube-case

Dimensions (L x W x H) 426 x 340 x 510mm
Maximum GPU Length: 330mm
Maximum CPU Cooler Height: 170mm
Maximum PSU Length: 225mm
Expansion Slots: 8
5.25” Drive bays: N/A
3.5” Hard Drive Bays: 3
2.5” Drive Bays: 4

Cooling Layout:
Front: 3 x 120mm or 2 x 140mm (2 x 140mm included)
Top: 2 x 120/140mm
Bottom: 2 x 120/140mm
Rear: 1 x 120/140mm (included)
Radiator Compatibility:
360mm:Front only
280mm: Front, Top, or Bottom
240mm: Front, Top, or Bottom
140mm: Front, Top, Bottom, or Rear
120mm: Front, Top, or Rear
Dust filters on all intakes
Front I/O Panel includes: USB 3.0 port (2), Headphone and Microphone jacks, Power on, Reset, and LED buttons

The only thing is it doesn't quite fit your 420 rad, with a max size of 360.

It does have the ability to fit three(Plus a single 140mm rad on the rear) separate rads though, so maybe if you wanted to spend a bit of money for two additional rads to make up for it. /shrug. I personally abhor the front panel look though, and no 5.25 bays hurts as well. I always found those bays to be very useful.

It does meet your "No 120mm fan" critera as well.

The primary issue, as i stated, is my preference is towards 140mm fans.
Can I ask what your beef is with 120mm fans? They've been the industry standard for I'd guess 15 years or more and the improvements they have made to them over this time span is incredible.

More airflow per fan(slightly more space req.), typically quieter operation for the same cooling capacity, etc., etc.

That may be true for case fans, but for radiators static pressure is more important that CFM's. The 120's generally out perform the 140's in that aspect. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to resurrect a 10 year old debate. That's been done enough. Just making sure we're all on the same page.

With that said if you already have the 420mm rad then you'll just have limited options. There are good options, just not as many.

Both the Define S and the R5 are very good cases. The issue you're going to run into is finding a mid tower case that can house a 420mm radiator. They're just not that common of a size. Here's a couple more options for you though.

Thermaltake Suppressor F51 (Actually very much a knockoff of the R5)

Thermaltake Core V51

Also, don't sleep on Rosewill. They have some impressive cases for the price. They're not top of the line but offer many features and the quality is better that I expected.

Best of luck~

Fractal Design Define S can have 420mm rads.
rad.png

Back