• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Deus Ex Mankkind divided

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bluefalcon13

So it would seem DE:MD is on sale on steam. I love the series, so I want to buy it on that fact alone, but I am concerned about how well it will run a bit.

Little more detail, I will buy the game, but don't really have the time to play it right now. I can wait until they release a Directors Cut or something, but I do have a strong desire to play the game when I have the time. The ultimate deciding factor on my decision wheel is how well will the game run on my current system. 1080p resolution, not expecting MAX max settings, but wouldn't want to play without a good amount of the eye candy turned on. System in sig, only change is a dedicated Crucial M500 SSD for my steam library now, so no major changes. Let me know what you think, will it run at near max settings and not run like poo?

Thanks in advance,
-Bluefalcon13

Sooo minor update. The complete deus ex pack comes with the digital deluxe edition. Furthermore, 8gb of ram is pretty much too little. I keep getting crash to desktop with low memory errors from Windows.

What do you have running in the background on the PC? For that matter you should be able to increase the swap file space to give some breathing room for the game while other things get offloaded.

What do you have running in the background on the PC? For that matter you should be able to increase the swap file space to give some breathing room for the game while other things get offloaded.

Hey, sorry, forgot to update this post. I actually resolved the CTD issues by allowing windows to manage my swap size. I was running a fairly small swap size to limit my writes to my SSD. It has been working with minimal issues, but surprisingly I had to put settings much lower than I am used to. It is VERY VRAM intensive, and even a 3gb card struggles with higher settings @1080p.

As far as background programs, just standard driver stuff, with steam running on top of background stuff, I usually have an OS/background load of ~2gb ram (Win10 + background programs, nothing open). Ultimately, the increase in swap size resolved the issue, but I am concerned about wear on my SSD at this point.

Your SSD will be obsolete by the time it runs out of write cycles due to swap files. I still utilize 80 and 160GB drives that are over 4+ years old in systems with zero signs of slowing down.

Really if your worrying about wear on the drive you'd have to be writing some ridiculous amounts of data to the drive each single day. Talking 10's of gigs of data each day. Most drives you'd have to be in the Petabyte region, if not 800-900TB of writes, before drives typically start to fail... in other words its something like 20-25 years for a drive under "above normal conditions". Can't remember the exact number but it was high 50GB+ a day I think. Did some figuring into this many years ago when I got my first SSD, an Intel 80Gig drive, and these days larger drives, more space for data to spread over utilized data cells and as well more "reserve space" that you never see on the drive for if a data block goes bad in the drive. Basically SSD's have come a long way since then so your safe with your drive.

Your SSD will be obsolete by the time it runs out of write cycles due to swap files. I still utilize 80 and 160GB drives that are over 4+ years old in systems with zero signs of slowing down.

Really if your worrying about wear on the drive you'd have to be writing some ridiculous amounts of data to the drive each single day. Talking 10's of gigs of data each day. Most drives you'd have to be in the Petabyte region, if not 800-900TB of writes, before drives typically start to fail... in other words its something like 20-25 years for a drive under "above normal conditions". Can't remember the exact number but it was high 50GB+ a day I think. Did some figuring into this many years ago when I got my first SSD, an Intel 80Gig drive, and these days larger drives, more space for data to spread over utilized data cells and as well more "reserve space" that you never see on the drive for if a data block goes bad in the drive. Basically SSD's have come a long way since then so your safe with your drive.
Buuuuut I spent like 400 bones on it YEARS ago! You are right. I am being overly paranoid about my write cycles. Only have 14.9TB written to that old 256gb Sammy drive (the 830). :)

Buuuuut I spent like 400 bones on it YEARS ago! You are right. I am being overly paranoid about my write cycles. Only have 14.9TB written to that old 256gb Sammy drive (the 830). :)

As the general rule that is talked about. The drive will be obsolete before you run out of write cycles on a SSD. Now if your heavy into Video editing/business or server environment OK I could see maybe some concern but still you'd have to be writing hundreds of GB's a day before the drive would be non-functional in 5-10 years. So really your safe ;) Few extra GB a day at most might be written if playing a game. Or if really concerned put a spinner in and keep the SSD swap file minimal and put more of a swap on the HDD.

What card are you using Falcon? You said 3Gb so I know it's not the 670 in your sig. I have nearly an identical system only using a 980 and it works great.
I had forgotten how puzzling this game can be. I played Human revolution but that was quite a while ago. I also started with "give me the real Deus Ex" so I didn't walk through too quickly.

I will say that DE:MD is really hard on your hardware. Rig in my sig struggles to play it with everything maxed out at 4K. I actually need to turn quite a few settings down to get a smooth, playable experience at 4K. Great game though. Throwback to the original DE days.

Back