• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Like the game nVidia included with your card? Read this.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would venture the guess that it comes back to forcing people to use the GFE and thus get another name/email to sell over and over again

The article mackerel linked to said it was for activation only, not continued use of the game, BUT, the one I linked stated it will be regional as well. That would rule out selling the code outside the local area.

From the article
However, game keys are also being region-locked, so you can’t register it elsewhere and your account will need to be of an appropriate age for the game in question.

Unfortunately, the writer didn't do anything to define "region", or nVidia didn't give him further details. The story mackerel linked to said the games aren't permanently tied to the hardware, and once added are yours to keep. That really does change the nature of the story to a non event. In my defense, I did say Yahoo was the fudzilla of news.....

Last edited:
Well, region in this context is not next door... :)

I would imagine it's going to be a country region type thing.... just like dvds which use the same verbiage.

I have no idea how nVidia defines "region", so I'll go with your take on it. I was thinking parts of the country, but they are a global seller, so, you're probably closer to the mark than I was.

Do companies think these things through? The amount of ill will and bad PR that these thing create has to out way the couple of bucks that this costs.

Corporate decisionmakers can be somewhat out of touch in addition to being quite far removed from the consumer. There is also the old executive temptation of feeling smarter than your lessers and the old marketing temptation of thinking the customer is quite stupid.

Back