• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Like the game nVidia included with your card? Read this.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I thought it wasn't allowed since the beginning as you had to register your card or code which you got with your card to download the game. As I remember coupons had clear info not for resale.
To get that from brands like MSI you have to register your product on your account providing copy of the invoice or something.
I'm not buying graphics cards really often and I'm not always getting games but as I remember it was always like that. Of course you could sell coupon with code but if you had to register your card on the webiste then were already problems.

It looks like they're tying it to the card instead of the account now. That's what I got from the story. I haven't been through the process, so I'm going on the info in the article.

Yes, looks like it will be register a card to get 1 game code ... the same is doing MSI in new promo, it's 1 registered product = 1 game code/link. I can register 3 boards but I won't really play the game which they are giving. Actually I've never been playing games which I got to hardware. When I got Witcher III then my brother and 2 friends were playing it. Then I had to make an account to download game and I shared it with all.

That does seem to change the nature of the "free" game, though. Tying it to a single GPU makes it a feature of that card, not a free game.

I agree, it's no longer a free game - when I sell the card I no longer own the game. This is also a bummer because in the past I have sold extra game codes to offset the cost of the additional hardware. Not sure what the problem was with selling the codes to begin with.

Ah yes.... lovely Nvidia and their continued anti-consumer ways.

Do companies think these things through? The amount of ill will and bad PR that these thing create has to out way the couple of bucks that this costs.

AMD really needs to push out some good products and reclaim market share. I get the feeling that Nvidia and intel really just don't give a ............ about consumers anymore. At least not us in the high end of things.

This is silly.. wow. What the hell do they care? They couldn't figure out other, more creative ways that wouldn't upset the customer to get people to sign up to GFE??!! :(

Saw this kick up elsewhere, where the impression was you needed the target card to activate the game code, which then ties it to your account and you can use it with any card. Not only does this prevent resale of game codes, apparently another problem was some sellers giving out the game codes early, and the buyers were ordering to get the code then cancelling the order.

I think we need to have more definite facts before over-reacting to this.

Well, accountants and stockholders look at numbers. The problems start when they base projections on yesterday's numbers in a field (tech) where next week is frequently a mystery.

Saw this kick up elsewhere, where the impression was you needed the target card to activate the game code, which then ties it to your account and you can use it with any card. Not only does this prevent resale of game codes, apparently another problem was some sellers giving out the game codes early, and the buyers were ordering to get the code then cancelling the order.

Link to different take....?

I am sure that the order and then cancel thing does happen. I cannot imagine that it happens on a big enough scale that it really matters.

edit: The article answered my question, NVM.

.To the conspiracy theorists, this has nothing to do with spying, tracking, or other nefarious activities."

Isn't that what Microsoft, Google, and the NSA said?

I am sure that the order and then cancel thing does happen. I cannot imagine that it happens on a big enough scale that it really matters.

There was one major issue that was just that from Amazon. Unsure of the affected card/game at the time but it happened.

I think resale will still happen, but listings will have to be for the targeted card(s) only

Back