• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard GA-990FXA-UD3 R4 questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grenpa

Hello Huys & Gals,

I am writing to ask a couple questions about my GA-990FXA-UD3 R4 motherboard and windows question.

I am having trouble with my motherboard and have to send it back for repair but there is a couple questions i have.
Gigabyte says they might be able to repair it but maybe not so here are my questions.

If they can't repair it can i swap out the current GA-990FXA-UD3 R4 with the GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 board without needing to reinstall windows 8.1 64bit oem?

I was told if they were the same R4 board it should work fine as it is the same hardware and is considered a repaired board and I could call microsoft to have them reactivate Windows if it deactivate when new board is installed.
So is that correct if i got the same r4 board or replacement r4 board?

If they can't repair it they said the would replace with the latest R5 board.

So if anyone knows if any or all I listed above is true I would greatly appreciate it.
Please let me know.
Thanks in advance
Grenpa

As long as it's the same board/chipset windows should work fine without reinstalling it regardless of revision 4 or 5. The physical board hasn't changed much. If there's a different lan chip or other peripheral the you might have to install some drivers but that would be it. If they send the same board back you won't have to reactivate win8 but even if they send a new rev4 board you will since Windows is tied to the specific motherboard.

Do you have a GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0 or a GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 Rev 1.0? The GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 is not the same as GA-990FXA-UD3. So if you have a Rev 4.0 board, then you have the GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0 as there is no Rev 5.0 boards yet.

Do you have a GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0 or a GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 Rev 1.0? The GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 is not the same as GA-990FXA-UD3. So if you have a Rev 4.0 board, then you have the GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0 as there is no Rev 5.0 boards yet.
It doesn't matter. They use the same chipset and drivers. Re-installation will not be necessary. Re-activation will have to be done most likely.

Hello I have the GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3+ - GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 4.0) and gigabyte says if I send to them they might be able to repair it but they could send me a R5 board back.
I have, since reading you post send them a message to clarify as i thought they were the same but I just googled and see what you are saying.

If only i could find the same Mobo I have I would buy it and send old one for repair.
But I can't find it anywhere which is to bad as it would save me in shipping cost and down time.

Thanks for the help.
Have a great Weekend.
Gren

Where do you live in the world? Is a used one off of ebay an option? In USA turn around times for motherboard RMAs are typically 2-3 weeks.

Where do you live in the world? Is a used one off of ebay an option? In USA turn around times for motherboard RMAs are typically 2-3 weeks.

Hello,

I live in Canada.
I sent a couple people on ebay a message today as one guy had listing saying he had 10 but after I sent message I got a response from him saying they were sold out but he forgot to remove listing from Ebay.
I sent another guy a message asking what revision his board is but have not heard back yet.

I have even tried some Russian sites ect, anywhere I can search I check.
One guy in Russia had a board but had it listed and after i check price using conversion it would have cost just under $550.00 which is way to high.

I will keep looking or will cave in and send board to Gigabyte.
My PC maker in USA has not responded yet to my support request but I am outside of their warranty.
but gigabyte told me to try them first before I send to Gigabyte.

Thanks in advance
Gren

Hey guys,

Ok Just letting you all know i found a brand new board and ordered it.
I have spent weeks searching and just found one pretty far away but it is identical including the bios which saves me trouble.

So once it arrives i will install in system and keeps my fingers crossed.
I then can send old on to be fixed and have a spare.

Thanks
Gren

Hey guys,

Ok Just letting you all know i found a brand new board and ordered it.
I have spent weeks searching and just found one pretty far away but it is identical including the bios which saves me trouble.

So once it arrives i will install in system and keeps my fingers crossed.
I then can send old on to be fixed and have a spare.

Thanks
Gren

I'm glad you found 1, good luck with the other board, hopefully it can be fixed. :thup:

Hey,

Thanks for all the help I greatly appreciate it.

I will post once the new board arrives and I install it.
Thanks again.
Gren

The one in Russia may have been used to hack into Hillary's email. Good thing you didn't go for it 'cause it may have been confiscated by government agents anyway.

Hey guys,

Sorry to bother you but I have a followup question.

Does a cpu, ram need to be in mother board to power up?
I ask as my cpu needs bios f3 but i do not know what is on the new board.
I was told that is i put the cpu in the board and it is wrong bios I could damage the cpu.

I can find no marking on the box or on the bios chips to tell me what version the bios is.
I dont have any spare cpu's and I dont want to connect my drives yet as it is a replacement board exact model of the one i will be sending for repair.
and I do not want to screw up my os as I am not reinstall windows.

Also if it is wrong bios can I just flash the bios using Mobo update feature and a usb flash drive?

Please let me know.
Thanks in advance
Gren

Yes, you do need a CPU and RAM installed to power up.

The wrong bios will not damage the CPU. That's poppycock. It will not hurt at all to install your current CPU and RAM and try to power it up. If it powers up you're good to go. If it does not then you probably have the wrong bios for the CPU. In that case, proceed to Gigabyte's website and see which CPUs were compatible with the f1 bios (the original). Perhaps you can pick up a cheap FX 4100 (I checked and it will work with f1) to power it up and update the bios. Then you can sell the cheap CPU if you want. What CPU are you currently running? I don't think you ever said, Gren.

It's also possible that even if you don't have the correct bios version the computer will boot and operate but not a full performance level. If it's stable, however, you can at least flash the bios.

http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-990FXA-UD3-rev-40#support-cpu

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AMD-CPU-FX-S...140090?hash=item282992373a:g:SsEAAOSwgQ9VleDM

Last edited:
Thanks for making that clear

Yes, you do need a CPU and RAM installed to power up.

The wrong bios will not damage the CPU. That's poppycock. It will not hurt at all to install your current CPU and RAM and try to power it up. If it powers up you're good to go. If it does not then you probably have the wrong bios for the CPU. In that case, proceed to Gigabyte's website and see which CPUs were compatible with the f1 bios (the original). Perhaps you can pick up a cheap FX 4100 (I checked and it will work with f1) to power it up and update the bios. Then you can sell the cheap CPU if you want. What CPU are you currently running? I don't think you ever said, Gren.

It's also possible that even if you don't have the correct bios version the computer will boot and operate but not a full performance level. If it's stable, however, you can at least flash the bios.

http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-990FXA-UD3-rev-40#support-cpu

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AMD-CPU-FX-S...140090?hash=item282992373a:g:SsEAAOSwgQ9VleDM

Hello Trents,

Ok thanks for making that clear, I did not know forsure and what I guy I know told me made no sense.

Since my mobo has 3 ways of updating the bios as long as cpu and ram are in then I think it should work right?
I know for sure i need f3 bios and nothing lower as i currently have f2 bios and nothing but problems.
Plus my old board has problems turning on at times, the mobo was the only thing I have not replaced which i why i have this new board.
Change PSU, Ram , GPU, switch so I ruled out everything else.

Thanks for your fast reply and help.
Gren

What are the three ways of updating the bios you speak of? No matter how you do it you will still need to be able to see stuff on the monitor. Unless, that is you physically replace the bios chip with another.

Hello,

The 3 ways are @BioS utility (done inside of windows), Q-flash can be done with usb stick during post. and the third way is to send to gigabyte.).
I will likely use Q-flash as it seems the simplest of them all.
I really wish they would list bios info on the board or box but no luck there.

As for checking bios I will try to get a cheap cpu and put ing a couple sticks of ram that are spares from my old board (same model).
I am currently downloading the bios I need and putting it on usb in case I need it.

Thanks for the help and info.
Gren

Hello,

The 3 ways are @bios utility (done inside of windows), Q-flash can be done with usb stick during post. and the third way is to send to gigabyte.).
I will likely use Q-flash as it seems the simplest of them all.
I really wish they would list bios info on the board or box but no luck there.

As for checking bios I will try to get a cheap cpu and put ing a couple sticks of ram that are spares from my old board (same model).
I am currently downloading the bios I need and putting it on usb in case I need it.

Thanks for the help and info.
Gren

Amen to that! But then you still will typically run into the problem when buying from large parts houses that the people filling the order are not going to sort through their inventory to find a box with the bios version you want. It will still be the luck of the draw.

It's always good to have some spare parts around so I think its a good move to pick up a cheap CPU. It may come in handy another time for something else.

Back