Help for a Beginner

Forgive me if this is the incorrect place, but I have a very broad question. I enjoy building computers and am getting pretty good at it, but I am an absolute imbecile upon turning the PC on. I use Windows 10 and really enjoy the OS, but short of doing basic mods on games (Witcher 3, GTA V, Skyrim, Fallout, etc) I don't know what I'm doing! Is there a book of some kind for me to learn about system management and programming? I'm just looking for a legitimate starting point for using my PC properly. Should I literally just get "how to" for dummies books?
    Current Rig:

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
    CPU: Intel i5-3570k Ivy-B 3.4 GHz
    RAM: 8GB (2 x 4GB)
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
    SSD (1): 128GB OCZ Agility 4
    SSD (2): 232GB
    HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda
    CASE: CoolerMaster Storm Scout

Mutterator
    Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Seems like a good place to start.

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon

Benching Team Leader
    Buckeye Moderator
    10 Year Badge
    Theres a ton of options out there, although I will say outside of the IT world/developer world I'm not sure what you would be looking to learn for programming (to use your PC properly). Can you give some examples of what you are looking for?
    Haswell Benching and Gaming: ASRock Z87 OC Formula : Intel i7 4770k w/ Phanteks PH-TC14 : 16GB 4x4GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2666 : MSI GTX 1080 Gaming Z
    Other Components: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD : 2TB Hitachi 7200rpm : Seasonic Platinum 1000W : 3x1440p: Asus MG279q, Auria EQ276W, Crossover P27Q

Folding User Stats

Basically I want to be able to diagnose and fix problems on my own with my computer, my girlfriend's computer, etc. I want to be able to get my PC faster, diagnose and protect from viruses, etc. IDK I just want to be independent with my PC use. I find myself always asking for help, for example I had a problem where if my PC went to sleep it would crash. I did nothing aside from not letting it go to sleep from then on until miraculously it stopped crashing recently.
    Current Rig:

Benching Team Leader
    Buckeye Moderator
    10 Year Badge
    As helpful/interesting as programming can be, I really don't think that would remotely benefit you in what your goals are (trying to diagnose/fix basic issues).

For the most part those of us that have been around here for quite some time:

- Asked a ton of questions at first regarding "stupid" problems that were quickly answered by those that were here before us/were more knowledgeable. We took that knowledge and tried to remember it, as just like in class, if you have a question, it's very likely someone else has it as well. And passed it along to others when they would ask the same 'stupid' question.

- Googled the problem that we were having, found numerous hits/forum threads/microsoft (or otherwise) articles/posts/kbs/etc and tried to fix it following the steps listed. And again, either remembering the solution or bookmarking or at least knowing how to get the answer again if I ever had it again or needed to pass it along to someone else.

- Or just broke/screwed something up and screwed with/tinkered with settings/things until it worked again (generally after some experience of knowing what to look for).

- Then a lot of us work in the IT-world where we see problems day to day and such

As generally unnecessary, but still is an industry certification, getting a free (updated!) book or two and reading through it with A+ certification can give you some basic knowledge of troubleshooting, the hardware involved, etc. From there there are numerous other pathways by microsoft for windows OSes, cisco (etc) for networking, etc that can lead you down the various paths.
    Haswell Benching and Gaming: ASRock Z87 OC Formula : Intel i7 4770k w/ Phanteks PH-TC14 : 16GB 4x4GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2666 : MSI GTX 1080 Gaming Z
    Other Components: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD : 2TB Hitachi 7200rpm : Seasonic Platinum 1000W : 3x1440p: Asus MG279q, Auria EQ276W, Crossover P27Q

Folding User Stats

Alright, I wasn't sure how much programming would help me in my situation. I might pick a programming book up just to check it out and see if it happens to be something I'd like to try. I do like me some books for dummies so I will head to Amazon and purchase a couple. Thanks folks! Just wanted to make sure the books are a good direction to go in for me!
    Current Rig:

10 Year Badge
    Quote Originally Posted by TBsteve View Post
    Forgive me if this is the incorrect place, but I have a very broad question. I enjoy building computers and am getting pretty good at it, but I am an absolute imbecile upon turning the PC on. I use Windows 10 and really enjoy the OS, but short of doing basic mods on games (Witcher 3, GTA V, Skyrim, Fallout, etc) I don't know what I'm doing! Is there a book of some kind for me to learn about system management and programming? I'm just looking for a legitimate starting point for using my PC properly. Should I literally just get "how to" for dummies books?
    It sounds like you need like ALL the for dummies books.

Seriously though... There isn't any "shortcut" to being "good with computers." I've been using computers since I was 6 (that was a LONG time ago) and building them since I was 11. And I was an absolute natural. Like somebody who sat down at the piano one day and could just PLAY. But I further refined that with decades worth of experience. You can't really "teach" what I do... There's no book that would get you anything close to my finer points. My advice would be... instead of calling for help when you have a particular problem... Google it and see if there's a link on Youtube explaining how to solve your problem, and try to do it yourself.

It might take a little longer... but you'll learn more.

(A book... in my opinion... would just be a distraction.)
    Core 4 Q9550 @4003mhz 1.30v
    Core 2 Duo e8400 @ 4.6ghz 1.328v (E0 Stepping)
    Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 3.8ghz 1.525v
    Asus P5Q Pro 2002m @ 515x9 .63x 1.52
    OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB DDR2 5-4-4-18 @ 2.18v w/OCZ XTC Ram Cooler
    Corsair 750TX PSU
    Sparkle 260 GTX (65nm, 216) 696c 1512s 999mem
    BLOCK: Swiftech Apogee GTZ RAD: BIXII REZ: MCRES-Micro rev2 PUMP: Pondmaster 750 FAN: 2 HS Yates CONTROLLER: Modified Evercool WC-202

There is no book in this world that can teach you how to use your own pc xD. I learned from my own mistakes, google, other people, gained knowledge everywhere, even learned English on my own. I suggest to avoid programing since it knows to be overwhelming for many people, I mean try out but don't expect too much.
    Getting experience on your own is the best way, at least it was for me. Try building some junk 100$ pc fiddle with hardware look what where goes, what it says on parts.
    You just have to be patient and thats it, there is always solution to problem
    Last edited by demien88; 02-09-17 at 05:24 AM.
    CPU: AMD FX-6300 6-core 4.30 GHz OC
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990X-Gaming SLI
    Cooler: CoolerMaster 212x Hyper
    Additional Cooling: Thermal Take Luna 120mm 1300 rpm 2x Blue and Red Outtake, 120 mm Unknown Intake
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Kingston
    GPU: GTX960 2GB DDR5 WF2
    Case: MS Monster
    PSU: Fortron HEXA 400W+80
    Storage: Toshiba 1TB 7200 rpm/min P300 High Performance, Samsung HD502HJ 500 gb