• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running two GPUs (no SLI) for more monitors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-Ice

I currently have a i5 6600K on a Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 7 motherboard and an EVGA GTX 980Ti. I have three primary screens on Surround setup and two secondary touchscreens. My primary screens connect via DVI-to-DP adapter cables and go into the 980Ti. I used to connect one touchscreen to the HDMI port of the 980Ti, then use a Targus dock to basically connect my second touchscreen to the PC via USB. I got a HTC Vive last Christmas and so I had to remove the touchscreen from the HDMI port... and got a DVI-to-DP adapter and connected it to my motherboard's DP port. So now, my connections are: three screens to 980Ti, one touchscreen to USB, one touchscreen to motherboard, Vive to HDMI on 980Ti.

I was wondering if I could get a secondary GPU to push pixels onto the secondary touchscreens and get rid of the Targus dock and DVI-to-DP adapter. I managed to get a GTX 660Ti and have connected my two touchscreens to it via DVI cables. However, I'm now having issues with my displays. Right-clicking takes a while before the menu comes up. Surfing the internet and Firefox becomes slow. Sometimes, if I leave the monitors on or if I try to changes some settings, my primary screens go dark (loses picture? I can't see my desktop wallpaper or icons!) and sometimes one of my touchscreens go dark as well and the only thing I can do is reboot.

I've not really done anything except install the 660Ti, get a power cable onto the new GPU, connect the monitors to the new GPU, and turn on the PC. Windows "found" the 660Ti just fine and recognizes that the two touchscreens are connected to it. Is there anything else I should be doing? I'm running the latest nVidia drivers, PhysX is set to Auto (and uses the 660Ti).

I've never done this before so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Back