• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I the only 1 pissed off at AMD after reading this? Is AMD going Intel on us?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
With 4 thread Pentium it will be hard to convince some of the budget users who are used to Intel. This is way too late but good move from Intel side. Next thing is that most users who wanted new CPU already got it with KL premiere or before as SL was also really popular. I don't think that most of those users now move to AMD.
Personally I wait only for 8 cores+ but I wish to know real performance before I buy it.

Even if AMD will match Intel's performance core to core then I see it like this:
~4 cores = can be good option if anyone is building budget PC but if anyone already has 4 thread CPU like i3 from last 1-2 Intel gen then I'm not sure if it has any point
~6 cores = can be good option as a new build but if anyone has 4-6 core CPU from last 2-3 Intel generations then it's waste of money
~8 cores = good option if it's for a new build but if anyone has 6 cores+ from Intel then it's waste of money

AMD's delays with premieres caused one big problem for them. Average PC is replaced every ~3 years. Since AMD had nothing to offer for last years and many computers were replaced in last 1-2 years then they won't sell as many CPUs as they could in this year.

I can be wrong but I just can't see AMD in anything out of gaming/enthusiast build right now. If they prove that general platform performance and available features work as good as on Intel ( including stability and durability ) then they will slowly gain new users.

And also 99% of the PC market that buy normal computers.....gamers.............etc etc etc.

I am not convinced of that. Truth be told if they grabbed 99% of the market that buys what you call normal computers Intel might as well claim bankruptcy now and beat the Christmas rush ....... :rofl:

AMD's true perspective is a bit different

Truth be told if they grabbed 99% of the market that buys what you call normal computers Intel might as well claim bankruptcy now and beat the Christmas rush ....... :rofl:

Whoa slow down............99% of people are possible customers.....not guaranteed. The top 1% who need the very fastest are irrelevant to AMD's long term plans of being competitive. Polaris is an example of this.

If they can beat intel across the board including the fastest then that is great, but expecting it is kinda naive obviously. So is thinking they can't gain marketshare and get back in the game without beating the flagship.

Last edited:
Whoa slow down............99% of people are possible customers.....not guaranteed. The top 1% who need the very fastest are irrelevant to AMD's long term plans of being competitive. Polaris is an example of this.

If they can beat intel across the board including the fastest then that is great, but expecting it is kinda naive obviously. So is thinking they can't gain marketshare and get back in the game without beating the flagship.

I would embrace a home run from AMD
Something that would push Intel would be awesome.
I am just skeptical as AMD has not been competitive in the performance market in some time.
We will see once retail hits the streets

Sorry guys
Have not read part one and two
I will look into this over site ....... :rofl:

Hudson is classic :thup:

My 2 cents in debate #3 :rofl: :chair:

AMD has stated that ALL CPU's will be unlocked. AMD sells the chipsets X-370,B-350,and A-250. I believe that all of these will allow OCing. It will be up to the MB maker to include it in there BIOS. The board makers (NOT AMD) write their own BIOS for xxxx board. They include/exclude features per board making you spent $$$ for the next model higher.

My 2 cents in debate #3 :rofl: :chair:

AMD has stated that ALL CPU's will be unlocked. AMD sells the chipsets X-370,B-350,and A-250. I believe that all of these will allow OCing.

AFAIK no chipset starting with 'A' will be overclockable, these will be very basic chipsets.

The X-370, X300 (itx based) and B350 will allow overclocking.

I think the rumor is that the X moniker (in addition to being slightly higher clocked than non-X) will have a self-sensing auto-overclocking feature beyond the basic boost clock. Sounds like they will be a silicon lottery for a few extra mhz, which is kind of a fun way for AMD to play the game from behind.

I think the rumor is that the X moniker (in addition to being slightly higher clocked than non-X) will have a self-sensing auto-overclocking feature beyond the basic boost clock. Sounds like they will be a silicon lottery for a few extra mhz, which is kind of a fun way for AMD to play the game from behind.

That's not a rumor.

Back