• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen Build upcoming. Need case recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

notarat

So with the latest info I'm hearing about the new Zen-based CPUs I am starting to get that itch to build a new system. Problem is, I'm very picky about the case I use so I thought I'd ask for suggestions to see what you guys and gals come up with.

I'll likely be using either a single OG Titan I already have lying around or a current generation Titan (Pascal), 16GB RAM, a 256GB Toshiba/OCZ RD400 NVM PCIex Card, 4-5 mixed mechanical drives 3-4TB in size, EVGA 650Watt Modular PSU, and most likely a 240mm or 280mm AIO cooler. Additionally, I'll be using Noctua 120mm/140mm fans throughout the system, including replacing the fans on the AIO Cooler with Noctuas

I currently use a Corsair Obsidian 800D and, if I had a chance to go back and do it over, I'd probably choose something else. Nothing really wrong with the 800D, mind you, just not pleased with the Obsidian since it seems to be more than a little oversized for my needs. Plus it's so old it's still limited to USB 2 and can't do the latest SATA because the SATA hot swap backplane is still the original one.

Thoughts on alternative cases?

I love my Phantek Enthoo Luxe: plenty of room for fans, rads, drives (I have 2x280 and 1x140 in mine, and could put 1x420, 1x240 and 2x140 in total). And well built.

I love my Phantek Enthoo Luxe: plenty of room for fans, rads, drives (I have 2x280 and 1x140 in mine, and could put 1x420, 1x240 and 2x140 in total). And well built.

And I'm going to be repetitive in echoing this sentiment. I've built two rigs in them and love it. Great airflow, quiet, easy to build in, and a clean looking build when done.

With those specs in mind your choices are abundant. Most good or better cases now support 240/280mm AIO's. Your most likely limiting factor will be the 3-4 3.5" drives, but still pose no problem finding a suitable case to your liking.

I also have the Enthoo Luxe and love it, but like the 800D it's a bit larger than it appears online. In fact mine will not fit in my desk where the tower belongs and needs to rest on the desk top.

There's a link in my sig to some recommended cases but there are many more great cases that simply haven't been reviewed or recommended yet so I would stick to the major players if you're looking for quality. Corsair, Phanteks, NZXT, Fractal Designs, Lian-Li, etc.

If you post more specifics what you're looking for (i.e. ODD bays, windows, colors) I'll help you narrow your search down. Also, don't sleep on some of the "cheaper" brands. I recently did a build in a Rosewill case and was very surprised and the build quality. FYI.

TBH I was lookiing at the Enthoo Luxe and was trying to decide between the tempered glass one and the other one (white) and pretty much decided, based on the first 3 responses all recommending it) to get the Luxe.
I think I'll check with EVGA to see if they offer the individually-sleeved black & white cables and, if not, just pick up the Phantek universal ones.

I have the white one. If you're leaning towards a white themed build it's a gorgeous case. The PSU cover makes the inside very white. I did a build with a black Luxe with my daughter (black and blue) and it came out great, too. Cable management is first rate.
in white.jpg

I see you were able to procure the "white" video card you were looking for several months ago.

I plan to disassemble my OG Titan and Pascal-based Titan this week to model up a B&W replacement cover for them then replace the green LEDs with white ones.

I may also do a B&W lithophane with the Ryzen logo for the board and the NVidia logo for the video card...still debating that...

I already have a "mostly" complete RAM cooler frame modeled up that snaps onto the DIMMS and holds a 50mm fan

I have the white one. If you're leaning towards a white themed build it's a gorgeous case. The PSU cover makes the inside very white. I did a build with a black Luxe with my daughter (black and blue) and it came out great, too. Cable management is first rate.

I see you were able to procure the "white" video card you were looking for several months ago.

Yes! After a couple rounds of backorder vs. finances the two finally came together and I couldn't be happier. If I don't sell my black RX 480 it will go in the black Luxe build to finish it off. :)

So here's where I'm at for the build

Phanteks Enthoo Luxe (White)
Corsair Dominator Platinum Series 16GB (two 8GB DIMMS) at 3200Mhz
Crucial MX300 525GB M.2 SSD for games/apps
Toshiba/OCZ 256GB RD500 PCIe x1 Card for OS (Already have)
Corsair H110i Extreme
Win 10 Pro
nVidia Titan (Already have)
EVGA 650W Modular PSU (Already have)
Gigabyte Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Already have)
(6) Mechanical Drives (3 & 4 TB mixed bunch) (Already have)

Still need
Solid pricing on Ryzen X1800 ~ $495.99 estimate
Asrock X370 Taichi ~$290 estimated pricing...(how far off do you think I am?)
Phanteks B&W braided cable extension kit ~$30
8-10 Noctua 140mm fans (~$180 - $220)

Back