• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC AMD Athlon X4 II 651k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sorabishop

Registered
I'm trying to over clock this cpu my mother board (AsRock A55Pro3) from what I see max TDP is 100W from what i get from asrock site, cpu z says with OC TDP 117W is this bad?
the OC right now is at 3.4Ghz @ 1.480V @ 13-20C idle / 47-52C max load, Stable according to P95 4 hours blend. I read on a differnt thread i think this cpu limit is 1.6V.
it is still bottle necking my evga 660 sc gpu on some games.
is it possible to go any further or am i already pushing it by passing the 100w TDP?

Last edited:
The 100W TDP is only a reference for the amount of heat the CPU it will produce under full load at stock frequencies and voltages. It's fairly irrelevant for overclocking purposes except to provide guidance for purchasing motherboards and coolers that can cope with it.

Core/package temps are more important to look at as far as overclocking goes. That generation of AMD CPUs when overclocked tend to become unstable when package temps exceed about 60c. So you may have some room for a little more overclock. But it will make very little difference in game play? The per core performance of current AMD CPUs is just plain poor and the one you have is further hampered by no L3 cache.

Another concern is the VRM/socket area temps of the motherboard as it has no heatsinks on the power producing components between the socket and the I/O ports at the back of the board. Installing a small fan (say 50mm) to blow on that area can help with that.

Last edited:
Hey......we agree? :D

@ OP- 3.4 is the average OC of that processor, bottom line is, you're at the best it's gonna get right where you are now.

I scrapped that post as I realized he was using an APU. Those can take a little higher package/core temp than the the previous generation of Athlon IIs I think. But what's the point. I little higher OC will not get him where he wants to go in his gaming.

ok thanks, so there is literally no way of going higher unless I put small heat-sinks witch i got from an old gpu after market heat sink & a small fan to put on the VRM/socket & the I/O ports even then i might be able to push 3.5Ghz. but it wouldn't matter because I would need L3 cache on the cpu witch is unsupported. I knew this computer was reaching its pinnacle for 60fps high setting gaming :(

It's not just a lack of L3 it's a lack of processing power altogether in that CPU family.

Back