• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MS generic driver works better than ATI/AMD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SeanJohn

So I hooked up a HTPC to an older TV in my bedroom:

Win 7
FX6300
GA-970A-UD3
8 GB
Powercolor 7870 Myst

Its cobbled together from parts from the computer in my sig (need to update that), so the only difference between the two are the video card and the cpu.

The TV is my first HDTV so its old. Olevia 226-T12. Company went out of business 8 years ago, I bought it about 12 years ago. In any case, its PC Resolution Support is up to 1360 x 768 @ 60Hz. Now generic microsoft drivers can pull that off but no ATI driver going back to 13.3 up to 21.19 can. With ATI drivers in place, the highest it will go is 1280 x 720 @ 60Hz. If I try anything above or below that, the tv says Invalid Format. But the generic MS drivers can go low to high without problems.

Any idea why this might be?

Thanks

So I hooked up a HTPC to an older TV in my bedroom:

Win 7
FX6300
GA-970A-UD3
8 GB
Powercolor 7870 Myst

Its cobbled together from parts from the computer in my sig (need to update that), so the only difference between the two are the video card and the cpu.

The TV is my first HDTV so its old. Olevia 226-T12. Company went out of business 8 years ago, I bought it about 12 years ago. In any case, its PC Resolution Support is up to 1360 x 768 @ 60Hz. Now generic microsoft drivers can pull that off but no ATI driver going back to 13.3 up to 21.19 can. With ATI drivers in place, the highest it will go is 1280 x 720 @ 60Hz. If I try anything above or below that, the tv says Invalid Format. But the generic MS drivers can go low to high without problems.

Any idea why this might be?

Thanks

using amd's drivers you can go into CCC and set a custom resolution to what ever you want

I've tried that. It will display up to 1920 x 1080 albeit at 30Hz. Just not 1360 x 768 @ 60Hz. In fact most other resolutions, the tv says invalid format. The maddening part is that the specs specifically mention this resolution and that before I add the catalyst drivers, the generic MS drivers handle it, no problem.

Thanks, though.

you sure its not 1360x678 at like 40 or 24hz? does intel specify what its driving it at?

Key Features

26" State-of-the-Art LCD HDTV
Ease of Use-User Friendly OSD wheel, Store/Home modes control, color-coded Quick Start Guide, full user manual on CD-ROM
FutureProof™-User upgradeable firmware via USB to add features, keep current
Big Picture Technology™-See the entire broadcast, DVD or VHS image
Director's Image™-Watch programs with the rich colors and image enhancements as the director intended
OleviaCare™ in-house tech support/customer support
ATi Xilleon™ Video Processing
1366 x 768 Resolution (16:9 Aspect Ratio)
1600:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio
Super Fast 8ms Response Time
178-degree Ultra Wide Viewing Angle
RF Inputs-Standard definition TV, 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, HDTV
Video Inputs-ATSC/NTSC/Qam Digital Tuner input, HDMI, component (VGA runs as second component source), VGA, S-video, composite
PC Input-HDMI, VGA-1366 x 768 @60 Hz
Easy To Use Remote Control
RS-232 Control
Motion Adaptive Processing
3:2 Pull Down
3D Comb Filter
True De-Interlacing
Panels
Active Screen Size 26"
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Contrast Ratio 800:1
HD Built-In/HD Ready HD Built-In
Native Resolution 1366 x 768
Response Time 8ms
Video Processor ATi Xilleon Technology
Viewing Angle 178/178
Video
1080p No
2 2/3:2 Pull Down Yes
Color Temperature Adjust Yes
Digital 3D Comb Filter Yes
Progressive Scan Yes
Supported Resolution NTSC & ATSC with High Definition (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080p)
Audio
Audio Output 1 R/L RCA Audio
Digital Audio Output No
Earphone Output 1 Stereo Mini Jack
Speaker 2 x 10W
I/O Port
Component Input 2 Component + 2 R/L RCA Audio (VGA Connector accepts as 2nd Component source)
Composite Video Input 1 Composite + 1 R/L RCA Audio (Audio Port Shared with S-Video)
Digital Input 1 HDMI w/ HDCP, PC + Video, Plug & Play, CEA EDID Extensions
Firmware Upgradeable Yes, via USB Port
RS-232 Control Port DB-9
S-Video 1 S-Video + 1 R/L RCA Audio (Audio Port Shared with Composite)
Tuner Type ATSC/NTSC/Digital Qam Tuner
TV System Support ATSC/NSTC up to 1080i
VGA Input RGB 15 Pin D-Sub with Analog EDID, PC + Video, Plug & Play, Second Component Input + R/L RCA Audio
Function
Channel Return Yes
Clock/Alarm Yes
Closed Caption Yes
Favorite Channel Yes
Language English, French and Spanish
MTS Yes
PIP/Split Screen No
Sleep Timer Yes
V-Chip Parental Control Yes
Warranty
Warranty One year exchange, one year parts and labor warranty
Other
Dimensions w/ Stand 27.5"x21.4"x9.8"
Dimensions w/o Stand 27.5"x19.5"x3.9"
PC Resolution Support up to 1360 x 768 @ 60Hz
Power Consumption AC 130 Watt
Regulatory Approval FCC-B, UL, cUL, ICES003, CSA, Energy Star, Green Product Compliant
Universal Remote No, Optional Purchase
Weight w/ Stand 25 lbs
Weight w/o Stand 23.5 lbs

These are the specs I just looked up and two things immediately stand out to me. The native res is stated to be 1366 x 768, while the PC res says up to 1360 x 768 @ 60Hz. It also says in one part "no" to 1080p res and "yes" in another section.

The other weird thing is what I have to do to get the TV to work with Catalyst in the first place. It will start off with Invalid Format right after installation, then I hook up a seperate monitor, mirror the two then disconnect the monitor in CCC. Maybe its just this old a$$ tv. But the generic drivers work perfectly.

Thanks for the response.

Back