• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Even if budget isn't a concern, is a mechanical keyboard really worth the money?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've changed 3 mechanical keyboards so far, all of them with different key switches and I can tell you dead certainly I won't, ever, go back to a non-mechanical keyboard. Now, the price range depends on the design and all the fanciness a keyboard can have. It's more like asking if spending 300$ for a case is worth it. It all depends on what you are looking for.

So, as someone who does a fair amount of typing throughout the year, I can really tell the difference between a mechanical keyboard and a non-mechanical.

I write code for school. I usually do this on my desktop with a mechanical keyboard. The experience is pleasurable overall. On the flip side, at my internship, I write code as well, but on an older G110 membrane keyboard. I can really tell the difference between typing on the two, and it actually effects both the speed at which I type, and the accuracy. Honestly, I am contemplating buying a mechanical keyboard (such as a cherry brown rosewell) out of pocket just to use/leave at my internship. My biggest concern is the noise generated, as a lowly intern shares an office [emoji14]

6 months ago, I would have recommended a Rosewill keyboard. I got mine last year, and 6 months later the "W" key started to work intermittently, which is extremely annoying. Just look at all of the "W"s I typed in those couple of sentences, and you could probably see why (that needs a "W", that has two, etc...), not to mention that it's a pretty important key in FPSs. My wife uses the numpad extensively, and she complains that the "7" key does the same thing. We're replacing ours, and I'm recommending against them now.

As far as the discussion is concerned, I've had two budget mechanical keyboards, and I won't go back. All of the reasoning stated before is valid for me, but the biggest reason I won't go back is membrane or scissor switches feel "mushy" to me. Even on my Rosewill all-plastic budget board, every keystroke feels crisp and responsive, which is something I've never felt on non-mech keyboards. I'm upgrading to a much higher quality board (K95 Platinum), and I'm excited to experience a lack of creaking and flexing, but I'd still take this busted mech over any membrane keyboard.

BestBuy, other tech stores and office stores might (should?) have a variety of keyboards with mechanical switches that you could test out for yourself and see what the difference in the switches feel like, if you're interested in seeing what the hype is about.

some good points here, I took a stab at the dark with mine, and bought a mechanical keyboard with switches that had no real backing because they were so new, romer-g. I fell in love. they are as quiet as mx browns, and actuate better than reds. I love it

I have a Corsair K70- liked it well enough to get a Corsair K65 for my second machine and have a Thermaltake Poseiden Z. It would have to be a pretty bleak time for me to go back. I dont even game and would go crazy without mechanical keys

Bought my son a Razer Blackwidow Chroma Stealth for Christmas because all of his friends said it's the best. I disagreed but it's what he wanted, I have to say it's a nice keyboard and the keys are definitely quieter then the Cherry Browns on mine. Though for the money I would have bought him a Ducky Shine over the razer.

Budget is the only reason not to get one...So just get one...;) I have the v2 version of the Razer Blackwidow Chroma...I only got it for backlit keys that were bright, so I could see the keys at night. (I had been using an old logitech and tho it was backlit, the keys were not lit and I always wanted to replace it with something really good.)

That becomes secondary to the action of the keys themselves once you type or game on it. I also used Amex points to pay for it...To me budget would have been a concern. Keyboards and mice are definitely luxury accessories... Unless your typing a lot.

Gotta say my daughter loves it, she likes hearing the clack so anyone can tell how wicked fast she is.:p

I have the yellow switch (Linear Silent) and if you just touch them they make less noise than if you hammer them. If it actually lasts 80mill keystrokes...It should be the last I'll have to buy.

Last edited:
Budget is the only reason not to get one...So just get one...;) I have the v2 version of the Razer Blackwidow Chroma...I only got it for backlit keys that were bright, so I could see the keys at night. (I had been using an old logitech and tho it was backlit, the keys were not lit and I always wanted to replace it with something really good.)

That becomes secondary to the action of the keys themselves once you type or game on it. I also used Amex points to pay for it...To me budget would have been a concern. Keyboards and mice are definitely luxury accessories... Unless your typing a lot.

Gotta say my daughter loves it, she likes hearing the clack so anyone can tell how wicked fast she is.:p

I have the yellow switch (Linear Silent) and if you just touch them they make less noise than if you hammer them. If it actually lasts 80mill keystrokes...It should be the last I'll have to buy.
If you are looking to drop the noise a bit, get some o-rings. Ade my Green switches (similar to blues) ALOT quieter when you bottom out on em.

Going from Membrane to Mechanical was such a change for me, I could never go back to them soft squishy keys.

Going from Membrane to Mechanical was such a change for me, I could never go back to them soft squishy keys.

LOL! so true, I can't let go of my mechanical keyboard, and I am now a bit picky about keyboards on laptops. Worse case I attach my mechanical keyboard to one and use that instead. :attn:

If you're scared to drop the money on a mechanical keyboard just to test it out, keep an eye out for a used one. I got my Logitech G710+ off eBay second hand for $30. That being said, I want to buy a second mechanical keyboard for work now... And I'll probably end up buying a NEW one for home and bring the second hand G710+ to work :p

I put it off like a I put off getting a laser mouse, didn't see the big deal... until I got one... now it's hard for me to use an optical mouse or a membrane keyboard...

If you're scared to drop the money on a mechanical keyboard just to test it out, keep an eye out for a used one. I got my Logitech G710+ off eBay second hand for $30. That being said, I want to buy a second mechanical keyboard for work now... And I'll probably end up buying a NEW one for home and bring the second hand G710+ to work [emoji14]

I put it off like a I put off getting a laser mouse, didn't see the big deal... until I got one... now it's hard for me to use an optical mouse or a membrane keyboard...
I had a laser mouse and when it broke I definitely noticed a difference. I miss my macro keys as well, games just aren't the same without them. I've had a suspiciously related increase in number of deaths now that I have to use a keyboard key to switch weapons.

Same for me, have a CM Quickfire TK and every time i have to use wife's laptop or setup i literally want destroy her keyboard with a hammer :rain: the difference for gaming is amazing. Mechanical keyboards for life :thup:

I would have thought that the difference was not enough to spend the money until I did and.... I will always want a mech over a membrane keyboard. Always and forever. I bought the MX Cherry Brown switches and while I still can't type for ... well I can't type very well ~ 40 wpm. I do love the feel, travel and firmness of the mech switches.

I've decided to make the jump and I should have my first mechanical keyboard in a month or two. Buying it as part of a whole new PC I'm building, y'all can check out the thread in the HTPC and home projects section. :)

I have used membrane keyboards for almost all my life and wanted a mechanical one after hearing so much about it on the internet and after some quick tests in some stores.

so I have changed out my ASUS Cerberus "gaming keyboard" with the Corsair K95 RGB Platinum keyboard. Brown Switches. I am very happy with the keyboard. it was expensive, but I am enjoying it a lot. it looks great, excellent spacing and key placement, media controls, 6 macro keys and RGB, I mainly use a solid color. all inn all love the keyboard.

I was very close to getting that board with the speed switches, but then found the K70 RGB Rapidfire for $140 and couldn't justify the extra $60 for the K95. I'm sure it's worth every penny, but I'm plenty satisfied with my K70.

Back