• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this correct?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, it seems to work fine with Skylake bios. Someone else posted that their experience after upgrading their Z170 board to the newer Kaby compatible bios that their overclocked Skylake wasn't as stable as it was on the pre Kaby bios versions. I just wanted to test that out and see if it might help me get by with lower voltage on my own Skylake overclock. Yeah, it's running fine after the update to the Kaby compatible bios it just frosts me that the manufacturer decided to close that back door. It doesn't make sense to me. What if I had upgraded the bios and found it to have definite problems. What would I do? Wait for the next version so I could have my computer back?

Earthdog is right in that most PC users should not be playing with the BIOS, but should they need work on the PC, a PC tech should be able to do what needs to be done. Then again it all comes down to "If you don't need to, don't" :) Although I'm with Trents, the BIOS should not be write protected.

If it works fine I wouldn't worry about it.

HELL! I just finished installing two new capacitors on a Gigabyte board where both those and an audio chip were broken off! (Strange thing is... audio seems to work just fine.)

Remember the old addage: If it ain't broke... then don't try to fix it. (Unless... in my case... it WAS broken... so I went in and fixed it.)

That old adage certainly applies here but too much of that stifles innovation and development. But in this case I think I'll not mess with it. I just want to chew on Asus tech a little if they ever reply to my communique.

Back