• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do factory sealed water coolers leak

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for that. As a handyman/plumber I can imagine a lot of ways that a custom loop could start leaking. Sounds like a challenge. So far, I have won the closed loop factory CPU water cooler lottery, as I am not leaking. However, I may be running a bit too hot in my overclock (up to 90 c).
My old H80 lasted a good while... Then it developed an anti-government smell, and residue around the inlet/outlet of the block/pump combo unit. RMA'd it, sold the replacement here, and built a custom loop for better cooling.

My old H80 lasted a good while... Then it developed an anti-government smell, and residue around the inlet/outlet of the block/pump combo unit. RMA'd it, sold the replacement here, and built a custom loop for better cooling.

Haha, I am in a similar boat. I started with a H220-x which is a sorta hybrid AIO. It uses the regular swiftech components but comes as a sealed system for the most part.

The best thing about it though is all the components are decent and the pump is powerful enough to expand.. so when i started seeing my 7700k temps were not great I just added another rad and a new reservoir. Soon I will be grabbing up a GPU block so that my 480mm of rad space isnt overkill for just one CPU.

The one thing I will warn you about going custom... is it gets addictive. Only had the new rad and parts for maybe 3 weeks and I keep trying to find other ways to tinker with it constantly and I keep eyeing more rads, second pump, and even more extreme cooling options. If i keep going at my current pace ill have a phase changer in a few months >.<

The one thing I will warn you about going custom... is it gets addictive. Only had the new rad and parts for maybe 3 weeks and I keep trying to find other ways to tinker with it constantly and I keep eyeing more rads, second pump, and even more extreme cooling options. If i keep going at my current pace ill have a phase changer in a few months >.<

Sounds like you caught the water cooling bug. :D I will only ask water cooling members to keep us entertained with some pics.

I just stepped into the water cooling world. I ended up going with a Swiftech 320 X2 Prestige (and in hindsight, should have just gotten the 320 X2, not the prestige as IMHO the fans were way too loud, and ended up switching them out for Vardar anyways)

But with that said, this is a dangerous path to take none the less. Man you can spend some money on water cooling!!!

Back