• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan revs up then cuts off, then repeat.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No. All fans connected to this block would receive the same pulse with modulation from the mother board. If you have need for some fans to run faster than other then just get more than one of these blocks. They aren't expensive. Each block would then be connected to a different 4 pin header on the motherboard and controlled separately from bios. Of course, this assumes you have multiple 4 pin PWM headers on the motherboard. Or you could use a combination of the PWM block I referenced and the analog controller you have already installed to control different fans in the system. If some of the other fans are 3 pin you could run them off thje analog controller.

thanks for the info last time i connected the fan to the board and controlled from bios i guess at lv1 it was spinning like 3500-4000rpm.(my board goes from lv1-lv10 for fan speed.),
i do have 2, 4 pin connectors , ill use speed fan(app) to controll that then once i get it. i took the fan that i said blowup apart then poked at it just because then i decided to plug it in then it started spinning again im like really. but it popped and had burning smell and didn't want to spin anymore. ill just deal with it spinning around 2800-3200rpm itll keep the gpu nice and cool, yes i replaced the 12v .21a arctic fan with this monster ill just tie up my gpu to reduce the stress on the card.

I hope you have better luck with Speedfan on controlling fan speed than I ever did. To use that feature in Speedfan I think your motherboard's fan control profile has to be in it's database I think. That was never the case for me. I never had a motherboard that it covered. I did use it for reading temps, however. I understand the author came up with an update of the program very recently so maybe it works better now.

Wait! Here's what you need: http://www.swiftech.com/Iris-Series.aspx They are also available through other vendors.

The beauty of this is that the PWM part happens from the motherboard but the power is supplied directly by the PSU so no overload on the motherboard.

not sure if im repeating my self asking this question but. when i use this it should achieve lower speeds, than my analog fan speed controller with this particular fan?. the fan cuts out when voltage goes to low. so this bypasses that? so this should allow the fan to go slower? the speed fan app works on my computer so i should be able to drop the rpms low without the fan just shutting off?
i have bought the device waiting for it to arrive.

not sure if im repeating my self asking this question but. when i use this it should achieve lower speeds, than my analog fan speed controller with this particular fan?. the fan cuts out when voltage goes to low. so this bypasses that? so this should allow the fan to go slower? the speed fan app works on my computer so i should be able to drop the rpms low without the fan just shutting off?

some fans (I'm talking about Delta and the similar ones) have "soft start" feature.

so, my Delta PFC1212DE (3.24A version) has this feature, this fan is also capable to do a full stop with the proper fan controller.
if I use any regular analog fan controller (I'm talking about any typical fan controller dropping voltage), the fan will experience the exact thing as you mentioned in this thread.
it turns out to be that the fan draw current high enough to drop a certain level of voltage during it's start up, this cough up the fan.
as the fan stop spinning it draw less current, the fan controller output voltage slightly increase; enough to spin back the fan. and.... repeat.

this also happen to my PAPST 4112 N/31HHA

unfortunately my PFC need an inverted logic to control it's speed.
so if I tried to control it via the BIOS,
this translated to go slower whenever the temps goes higher, and faster whenever the temps goes lower.
as for my PAPST, it need analogue signal to control it's speed.

if you have a 4 wired fan,
I'd suggest you to dig in the "Building PWM Controller for 4 wires PWM fan" on this very forum.
the minutiae on that thread is more than enough to solve your current issue.

not sure if im repeating my self asking this question but. when i use this it should achieve lower speeds, than my analog fan speed controller with this particular fan?. Should, yes. the fan cuts out when voltage goes to low. so this bypasses that? so this should allow the fan to go slower? the speed fan app works on my computer so i should be able to drop the rpms low without the fan just shutting off? Not sure if Speedfan will do this as I'm not sure it works on the principle of PWM. I'm thinking it just lowers the voltage like your analog controller does. Why don't you use the bios PWM adjustments instead? The device you are buying works with the motherboard PWM function. It turns one 4 pin PWM controlled fan header into many. But it does so without electrically overloading the motherboard's header because it's power is directly supplied by the PSU. But the pulse is modulated by the motherboard's fan header which is controlled by the bios. Not sure about Speedfan.

Last edited:
some fans (I'm talking about Delta and the similar ones) have "soft start" feature.

so, my Delta PFC1212DE (3.24A version) has this feature, this fan is also capable to do a full stop with the proper fan controller.
if I use any regular analog fan controller (I'm talking about any typical fan controller dropping voltage), the fan will experience the exact thing as you mentioned in this thread.
it turns out to be that the fan draw current high enough to drop a certain level of voltage during it's start up, this cough up the fan.
as the fan stop spinning it draw less current, the fan controller output voltage slightly increase; enough to spin back the fan. and.... repeat.

this also happen to my PAPST 4112 N/31HHA

unfortunately my PFC need an inverted logic to control it's speed.
so if I tried to control it via the BIOS,
this translated to go slower whenever the temps goes higher, and faster whenever the temps goes lower.
as for my PAPST, it need analogue signal to control it's speed.

if you have a 4 wired fan,
I'd suggest you to dig in the "Building PWM Controller for 4 wires PWM fan" on this very forum.
the minutiae on that thread is more than enough to solve your current issue.

I noticed this but I'd like for it to stay consistent with rpms instead of droping back down when it hits where I have the controller set at.

Wait! Here's what you need: http://www.swiftech.com/Iris-Series.aspx They are also available through other vendors.

The beauty of this is that the PWM part happens from the motherboard but the power is supplied directly by the PSU so no overload on the motherboard.

this device helped since speed fan app works on my computer it is much quieter now i can now go below the speed my controller ever made this fan go. it can now go anywhere between 5%-100%. from what it sounds like it coulendt go below 35% with the controller.
thank you very much

Back