• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a new monitor! under 600$~

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kamran

I currently have an overclocked (75Hz - I noticed a huge difference in overwatch. not as much in other non fps games but still a little bit) Syncmaster S23A560Hplus (I barely found any results googling it. most of them weren't English :D) the colors aren't exactly terrible when I calibrated it but the problem I have is it's washed out. it doesn't have enough color. the lights or candles in games aren't lighted at all. it looks like a dusty painting. I took a screenshot and sent it to my s7 edge, In basic mode (because it's closer to my monitor not because I like it) my s7 edge was a million times better (the candles and everything looked a million times better)

I'm not sure if I'm ever going to play games again. I currently just play Overwatch and WoW.
and my other problem is that I have an r7 250x which can play over watch at 75% render scale and minimum setting at 1080p :| wqhd will even be worse! So I need a new GPU too for sure. and if I choose wqhd I have to spend more on my GPU too.(I have seperate buget for my GPU. 370$ at max) My main use is programming. I am going to keep my current monitor and use it vertically (it doesn't have any sort of mounting points and the stand doesn't move at all. so I might sell it and buy a new monitor (20" or something) to use vertically. but with a higher res and 27 inch monitor there might be no need for one.

I have a few options about graphics card but I"m not gonna put them here as this is the display forum :c

Here are the monitors I can buy:

BenQ XL2730Z 27inch 1ms TN 144Hz WQHD Free-Sync QHD 740$ (BenQ XL2720Z 27inch 144Hz is 684$ and I rather buy Nvidia for streaming stuff but I'm not sure if it's a good Idea)

ASUS PB278Q 27Inch 5ms PLS WQHD 719$ (the reason I consider this while the BenQ has 144hz and freesync for the same price is the PLS panel. I'm worried that the TN panel of the BenQ isn't going to be enough and look bad. but I'm not a pro!)

ASUS MX27AQ 27Inch 2K WQHD IPS 701$ (not sure what the difference between the PB and this monitor is)

ASUS PB277Q 27Inch 2K WQHD TN 563$ (i'ts cheaper. not sure what the differences are. it has a tn panel and reviews said some lightbleed. not sure if it will matter for me)

I can also stay at 24" but get wqhd for 430$ (VX24AH WQHD)

or get another 24" 1080p just to get better colors and everything. because as I mentioned my main problem with my current monitor is the terrible colors and giant pixels with big black bars between them (I've seen other 1080p displays. non of them look as low res as mine which is strange, also they don't have the huge black bar between the pixels like mine)

there are even cheap 144hz ones for like 500$ and 60hz for a cheaper price. and I won't need to spend much on my new gpu (I can buy a rx 460 or something instead of a gtx 1060)

But as monitors last long. I rather spend money on a good one and keep it forever. there are ultrawides and 4k displays for 870$ but that's just a lot and i'm not sure if it will help.

I'm also stuck between the BenQ and pb278q. they both cost the same. the asus one just has PLS and 5ms(instead of 1) and 60hz (instead of 144hz) and no freeSync. does that mean the BenQ doesn't have a good Image quality? there are lots of other things I don't know of (blurr) and I'm not sure how to check them.

Can anyone help me choose which monitor I should buy? Sorry for the messy thread :D

Rumor has it 4K screens are going to get faster this year.

If that happens 2K PLS and ISP screens may drop a little.

You may be able to pick up a high quality a 2K / 144 Hz screen at that time for a decent price

Safe money is around or a little after Computex

Rumor has it 4K screens are going to get faster this year.

If that happens 2K PLS and ISP screens may drop a little.

You may be able to pick up a high quality a 2K / 144 Hz screen at that time for a decent price

Safe money is around or a little after Computex

aww mann.... How long will that take :c? I ahte my monitor so much but ok :D I'll buy a gtx 1060 for now. who knows maybe I'll get a 4k screen if it gets cheaper. But I doubt it will happen in my country. things are weird here.

but just out of curiosity. What's the difference between the benq and asus pb278q? does the BenQ look bad?

I admittedly only skimmed your post.

A 2560x1440 screen for programming will help I believe. Or having a primary 24" for your gaming and having a secondary spare in vertical mode I know a lot of programmers do this.

I could manage overwatch on 70~ fps at 1440p with most things turned down but 100% scaling with a GTX 750 Ti. Wasn't too bad.

A GTX 1060 won't really manage 1440p at high refresh rate.

http://www.benq.com.au/product/monitor/gw2765ht is what I use at 1440p with a GTX 1070. 60hz and I also play overwatch, but if gaming is not your primary concern I really believe a 1440p 60hz will do you fine. (It'd still suggest the GTX 1060 though or RX 480 if prices are similar)

I've gamed for years on a 1440p 60hz panel just fine. yes I've used G Sync yes I've used 144hz. I can tell you the difference is huge. BUT if you can't justify the price, then don't buy it.

I admittedly only skimmed your post.

A 2560x1440 screen for programming will help I believe. Or having a primary 24" for your gaming and having a secondary spare in vertical mode I know a lot of programmers do this.

I could manage overwatch on 70~ fps at 1440p with most things turned down but 100% scaling with a GTX 750 Ti. Wasn't too bad.

A GTX 1060 won't really manage 1440p at high refresh rate.

http://www.benq.com.au/product/monitor/gw2765ht is what I use at 1440p with a GTX 1070. 60hz and I also play overwatch, but if gaming is not your primary concern I really believe a 1440p 60hz will do you fine.

I've gamed for years on a 1440p 60hz panel just fine. yes I've used G Sync yes I've used 144hz. I can tell you the difference is huge. BUT if you can't justify the price, then don't buy it.

I do play other low graphics games sometimes. And I guess I can just turn down the graphics. so I would benefit from 144hz. but I don't really care as I'm not a professional or anything. I agree on staying with low hz but 60hz right now feels terrible. I can always get myself used to low fps anyway.

But the BenQ has the exact same price PB278Q. should I still buy PB278Q? I don't have much knowledge about displays. on the specs PB278Q has pls and 5ms response compared to 1ms and TN. I hope I can overclock it to 75Hz. as anything lower after getting used to 75 feels just terrible. but I still don't feel good oveclocking such an expensive monitor.

The PLS is superior for colour and viewing angles by leagues.

If you're going to grab the BenQ, get an RX 480 for freesync support. BenQs gaming range still have reasonable colours for TN panels.

Given you seem to already be set on higher refresh, an RX 480 + 144hz Free Sync from BenQ would do you well.

If you're dropping that kind of coin on a single monitor, get something with GSYNC.

If you're dropping that kind of coin on a single monitor, get something with GSYNC.

They're very expensive. I might aswell get the Ultra-wide LG Monitor at 840$. As I said I'm not really much of a gamer. I mostly use it for programming! the BenQ one has freesync. But I rather get an Nvidia graphics card anyway. and both Freesync and G-sync still has a bit of input lag as I've heard. I rather keep them off than have input lag.

- - - Updated - - -

The PLS is superior for colour and viewing angles by leagues.

If you're going to grab the BenQ, get an RX 480 for freesync support. BenQs gaming range still have reasonable colours for TN panels.

Given you seem to already be set on higher refresh, an RX 480 + 144hz Free Sync from BenQ would do you well.

But amd won't support moonlight. I can't play on my phone :c or stream to TV. but I have no idea if it works well or if it's stutter. I've tried remotr and it doesn't play well at all.

I don't care about viewing angles at all I don't see why I should I just sit in front of my PC normally from the same angle. Maybe if I wanted to use it vertically.

But I do care about colors. How much of a difference is there exactly? Is it much for an avarage person? Because I'm not a professional in video editing or working with image, I just appropriate a good looking screen a lot. Looking at those awesome looking Fel-green demons in World of Warcraft is quiet amazing :D or staring at exodar !

EDIT: it's strange. the ASUS monitor on amazon is around 400$ and the benq is 750$~. yet they both cost 750$ in my country :\
but according to anandtech I'm going with asus. I didn't think about it but having a 27" monitor means every part of the screen is at a different angle from me and the edges of the BenQ will look different. plus according to the review on anandtech the BenQ has the same look I hate about my current monitor. washed out view :c

Last edited:
I've used BenQs gaming line in person, TN panels. They're on the high-end of the TN panel scale. They have reasonable colours for a TN and minimal viewing angle issues unless you go vertical.

The Asus is a 'nicer' screen but its a choice of speed (hz) vs colour/viewing angles then

I've used BenQs gaming line in person, TN panels. They're on the high-end of the TN panel scale. They have reasonable colors for a TN and minimal viewing angle issues unless you go vertical.

The Asus is a 'nicer' screen but its a choice of speed (hz) vs colour/viewing angles then

I would choose color any day. (as long as the difference is viable to my eyes) but I'm really really worried about the light bleed :c I'm worried "m gonna spend 740$ and have light bleed and regret it for the next 10 years :D

Isn't there a website that like has photo of each display taken with a color accurate camera? maybe I can view it on my phone. it has a good color accurate display.

Ok I've decided to buy xl2730z. This was supposed to make me feel better but it turned out to be tourture :D. I'm not sure if I will leave gaming or stay but anyway I have a few reasons:
1. judging myself. I'll be awake for the next 10 years thinking about how 144hz feels like if I don't buy the BenQ
2. Afraid of IPS Glow and even if it doesn't have it my OCD will make me check for it every five minutes :c
3. I will buy an rx 480 instead of a gtx 1060 for freeSync (Despite the power draw reports :( my Motherboard is pretty awful which worries me even more) and I'll have that whihc is nice (to be honest I'm not fully sure what difference it makes in real world but why not... the rx 480 is like 10-20$ more expensive than gtx 1060. but I won't have moonlight :( )
4. as Mjolnir said the TN panel is good. so compared to my current monitor which is made in middle east (seriously......). my current monitor is very washed out. it's kinda accurate after calibrating it but still washed out. like it doesn't have enough color. and the texture of the display is so terrible which appearntly BenQ is the same but atleast it's 1440p
5. Either way I'll be happy because I'll have a bigger display and more resolution and better colors :)

I just hope it's as good as my s7 edge :c

I'll have to wait a bit for the money :D but I'll buy it in few weeks

Last edited:
Power Draw issues have been fixed for the RX 480 so no need to worry there.

I think you'll find the BenQ to be okay colour wise. Not amazing, but reasonable for a TN panel.

Back