• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile graphic card stuck at certain clock rate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mizo

Hello! I am new to the forum and the overclocking in general as well.

I am away from home for a few months so my old trusty notebook comes into play again. The problem is, performance of a graphic card is fairly low. It was perhaps one and a half years in the past when I used him for gaming for the last time, but I remember it used to be better. I remember playing the same games with better graphical settings, and most importantly, higher FPS as well. My graphic card is ATI 6770M.

I have decided to try overclocking, maybe it could help a bit. I downloaded MSI Afterburner and CPU-Z as well. I can see in both of there programs that default max clock rate of the GPU is 725 MHz. But when I start a game or even a FurMark test, the clock rate goes to 400 MHz and not higher. These are all new things for me so I do not understand them very well but shouldn't the graphic card clock go higher when the performance is needed? Even if I move the clock rate slider in the MSI Afterburner from 725 MHz up, nothing changes. Still 400 MHz under load.

I have the latest drivers and I also made sure my notebook is at High Performance power mode.

So my question is, how do I get better performance from my graphic card? What am I doing wrong?

Thank you very much for answers!

mizo

One, don't use Furmark.
Two, in game what are your temperatures?

Alright, I will not use that software.

GPU temp is around 65-70 °C
CPU temp is around 70-75 °C

Sounds like temps are good... When you've done driver installs, have you done a clean install?

I was upgrading my laptop with an SSD so I did a clean install of Win7 a month ago. Then I installed all the drivers. I tried different versions of the graphic driver because it caused me some problems in the past (games were not switching to GPU). Now I run the latest drivers and CCC.

Last edited:
Back