• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What mobo for the g4560?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sannakji

Registered
Looking to build a cheap rig with this new supposed wonder chip. Bit stumped on mobo choice though. I need it to be mITX, take DDR4 and maybe have bluetooth for a PS4 controller (running it wired wouldn't be a deal breaker though). Lots of usbs and nice connectivity (like m.2) would be nice too. I'm looking for something cheap, a hundred or under but still respectable. My issue is, I'm mostly familiar with Z boards and am unfamiliar with these H and B specced boards.

Also, I have a boot drive SSD from a previous build. Can I just build the new rig with this and have it work just the same or will I need to format it seeing as its a new architecture? The previous build was also Intel...

Any advice would be very much appreciated...

Most ITX boards won't be cheap. Not in the new gen. There's a price to pay for ITX. And under 100 usually isn't it lol.

Perhaps ASRock B150M-ITX on the cheap end, nothing fancy though. No Bluetooth, etc. (Noting it may need a bios update)

Or pony up for the Gigabyte H270N Which has everything you ask for.

Also while a carry over may work.. I suggest a fresh install everytime when changing builds/platforms etc. If it's windows 10 it also may be tied to your old board (The key)

EDIT: Asrock H270M-ITX also available a bit cheaper. M.2 on the front which is nice though.

The AsRock looks good, always need as many usb ports as possible. So I'm looking for a H board not a B board right? Any recommendations on mATX boards, if they're cheaper or more fully featured?

H or B yes for the cheaper end. M-ATX will give you more ports, but most M-ATX boards DON'T have wifi/bluetooth. ITX units often come with them on the mid to high range because there's no extra PCIE slots like with larger boards.

if you need more ports you can always get a usb hub so that kinda solves that really..

In a fix now, don't want a board gimped to 2133mhz or 4k/30... kinda want HDMI 2.0 and displayport if I could get away with it, the asrocks fatality z270 itx is expensive though and its availability is bad... in fact all 270 boards seem to be more expensive. Hmm.

Last edited:
Oh the ASRock actually has hdmi 2.0? Couldn't find info on that.

Its going to be just onboard for a while...

Considering biting the bullet and bumping up to matx for a cheaper board with better features...

only the latest HDMI 2.0 supports 4k, unless im missing something, dont think you could get 4k on 1.0/1.1/1.2. there seems to not be enough Bandwidth to support such a higher resolution, that is going to take a lot of data. the specs state it does 4k at 60hz/30hz so it has to be HDMI 2.0...

In a fix now, don't want a board gimped to 2133mhz or 4k/30... kinda want HDMI 2.0 and displayport if I could get away with it, the asrocks fatality z270 itx is expensive though and its availability is bad... in fact all 270 boards seem to be more expensive. Hmm.

All B and H boards will be limited to 2133. But you won't notice the performance difference in real life computing except with certain niche applications. Some games show slight improvement in FPS. Higher speed RAM will show some gains in benchmarking mostly. To me the 2133 mhz limitation is certainly not a deal breaker.

So it would be dumb to go for a z board and over 3000mhz ram? I'm thinking about a g4620 now for the better iGPU... wonder how many extra frames I'd get, and how much expensive ram would help that...

Higher speed RAM does generally benefit IGP performance. At least it worked that way with the AMD APUs. So you will be abandoning the AMD 380X? Because if you use a discrete video card it is a moot point.

If you go ASRock, look for the H110M-ITX/ac as that model has built-in wifi and bluetooth. There is also a 'Z' model of the board ( Z170M-ITX/ac), but it's over the $100 mark.
I'm running the H110M-ITX/ac in one of my builds, it's a great board.

380X build is long gone :p Really wish AMD were launching Ryzen with an APU option instead of all those incremental chips, don't want to give Intel money any more...

Noted on that board, thanks

Back