• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

where are the mosfets on my board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Never said you guys couldn't overclock OEM boards, I'm saying you shouldn't. They have considerable less room compared to retail boards.

Since we have moved to a serious case of overclocking want, lets talk electrical requirements to get this board into overclocking ready state.

Do what SuperNade said. This will first provide a better current and voltage control to the CPU since we do not know how the feedback circuit looks, or how it behaves. Find similar CAPs that are already connected to your board (the ones you are looking for are immediately to the right of the Inductor from your picture). These are very typical CAPs and you can either buy more from DIGIKEY or desolder some from other boards. You want to fill in the last two CAPs that are missing. This should provide more than enough capacitance, but if you are having high power stability issues you could try to add 1-2 more. These caps are from inductor output side to GND.

Next you will want to strap a fan to the power plane. Don't worry about trying to add heatsinks or anything to the MOSFETs. You won't be able to fit them as the fins may collide with the GND/DRAIN pad on the back of the MOSFETs. *NOTE* IF cooling fins did touch those GND/DRAIN pads, you could have major issues in stability and possible have nice sparks/fire, proceed if you live in the cold north of Russia.

Lastly, to answer OPs PM: The inductor you have is custom made. Most likely HP could not find inductors that matched size + power requirements and went with a custom made one. You can tell since the ferite material is one large slab, and the inducatnce is giant copper going through the ferite material. I could ~guess~ the inductance on the part, but I'd need a lot of data before that. You also want to make sure that any cooling fins that you may have does not touch the unprotected ferite. This will cause disturbance in the indcutors and could make awesome Russian fire.

The reasons above are why I suggest not to do this. But if you want, here is what you need to get the board ready. Proceed at your own caution, and remember: current kills with frequency, not voltage.

As Dolk said, I'd be careful with slapping heatsinks on those FETs, due to proximity issues. A fan would cool the entire area and is generally more efficient than passive cooling.

Back