• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8370 won't POST

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What does CPUZ say about slots 2 and 4 ..... for the 8 gig sticks.

I had some real good Kingston ram back when the FX first came out ..... they would not post when installed ...... like CD has mentioned the MB and CPU combo is not liking your ram. I think we have seen a couple of GSKILL Snipper sticks come though like that too. but it make no sense why it will boot with 2 X 8 GIG and 2 X 4GIG sticks ......??????

I do not necessarily expect that combination to work together at any frequency. The problem isn't that I can't get 1866 with that setup, the problem is that without the 4Gb sticks I can't even get the system to POST.

This was just my half-assed way of getting what information out of the system that I could. Put in the 8Gb sticks by themselves, single or as a pair, at any speed and I can't even get to the BIOS.

- - - Updated - - -

CPUZ shows them together as slots 1/2 for the 8G and 3/4 for the 4, even though they are physically non-adjacent on the motherboard. Right now, the 8G sticks are in the black slots, including the slot closest to the CPU. The 4G are in the blue slots, alternating 8-4-8-4. The CPUZ data for each pair is identical, so that information is in the previous post.

Is it just a coincidence that there is only a single QV (Patriot) listed in the manual with a 16Gb configuration that does not use all 4 sockets?

Is it just a coincidence that there is only a single QV (Patriot) listed in the manual with a 16Gb configuration that does not use all 4 sockets?

QV lists are not very helpful, actually. They just represent what has been tested to work. They are far, far from an exhaustive catalog of compatible options. It is well-known that Kingston doesn't play well with AMD but Crucial, GSKill, Corsair others generally don't pose a problem.

I suspect at this point that not being on the QVL in this case is a good place to start. If it isn't the motherboard slots there isn't much left too look at is there? I had a couple Hynix sticks that just wouldn't work with my M5A99FX/ FX combo. It wouldn't boot with them installed no matter what. While the QVL certainly isn't the be all, end all, of RAM compatibility this may be a good example of why it exists.

Man that IMC is just being picky because it just is.....

I'd try Upping the CPU/NB and Memory voltage and loosen timings, but beyond that of ratings.

So the 4 ghz sticks are rated Cas 10 at 667mhz. Most people buy this latency with much higher frequencies so these modules are low binned right from the get go.

CPU/NB to 1.2750 - 1.3000v
Memory at no less than 1.55v
Timing set I'd try would be 10-11-10-27-47 CR 2T and see if you can get them working nicely.

CPUZ shows them together as slots 1/2 for the 8G and 3/4 for the 4, even though they are physically non-adjacent on the motherboard. Right now, the 8G sticks are in the black slots, including the slot closest to the CPU. The 4G are in the blue slots, alternating 8-4-8-4. The CPUZ data for each pair is identical, so that information is in the previous post.

This is what I am talking about. Change the order so that they're balanced in both channels. Go 4-4-8-8 starting at the CPU. Smaller sticks closest to the processor because that is where the primary memory info comes from. Set the timings and voltage manually. 10-x-x-x @ 1.6v @ 1333.

Scotty, I still can't wrap my head around that it will not post with just the 2X8g sticks in but will with both the 2x4g and 2x8g?!?! Logic tells me that with the 2 x 8g not posting, it would likely need a bump on the CPU Nb voltage & possibly dram v. That said why then does it boot with both sets in?

Board doesn't like the 8G Jedec specs. That's why it won't post on just those. Might not work on my method either, but worth a try.

I'm with Scotty. The 8 gb sticks adjust to the JEDEC of the 4 gb sticks and allow the system to boot.

If it's the IMC then the CPU is bad because the IMC is in the CPU.

Whatever the problem, it would certainly seem to lie mostly with the CPU - recall that the system would boot the 8G memory with the Phenom II at 1333.

Several experiments (thanks for the ideas, everyone) over the weekend have me convinced that success is unlikely. I managed to get one stick to be recognized by the system for one boot cycle by pushing the DRAM and NB voltage up too far for comfort, but it was not repeatable. I can get the smaller sticks to overclock to 1600 with stock settings, and this will just have to be good enough for the time being.

Back