• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Did my 980 just take a dive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm thinking my 980 either died or is in the process of dying. I have 2 QNix QX2710LEDs, one hooked directly to the DVI-D port and one through an active DP adapter. Starting yesterday afternoon, the one hooked up to the DP adapter started cutting in an out every few minutes, only staying up 5-10 seconds at a time. When it kicks in, the other display flickers and I get the windows "hardware connected" ding, then another flicker and the "hardware disconnected" ding when the other screen cuts out again.

Thinking maybe that adapter is failing, I disconencted it, but just this afternoon I realized GPU-Z and HWmonitor aren't picking up any GPU info, device manager doesn't show it at all as far as graphics adapters, and whenever I try re-installing the latest NVidia drivers, the install fails. I checked PSU voltages and all rails are spot on.

Just want to verify this before starting an RMA.

Last edited:
Have you tried reseating the card?
Do you have any better results with the system seeing a graphics adapter using onboard video?

Something else may be going on. Moved the 980 to the second slot, same issue. Tried onboard with both the active adapter and DVI. The screen on the DP adapter isn't picking up a signal and the one on the DVI port is just going into the screen's "Failsafe" mode (alternating RGBW) but that could be due to Windows trying to default to the native 2560x1440 of the screen (the DVI port on these boards is apparently only rated up to 1920x1200).

Something else may be going on. Moved the 980 to the second slot, same issue. Tried onboard with both the active adapter and DVI. The screen on the DP adapter isn't picking up a signal and the one on the DVI port is just going into the screen's "Failsafe" mode (alternating RGBW) but that could be due to Windows trying to default to the native 2560x1440 of the screen (the DVI port on these boards is apparently only rated up to 1920x1200).

The DP adapter is 0 for 2 so far --

Strange that windows is having issues seeing the 980 though --- maybe use DDU and see if a driver wipe will allow you to properly install the drivers?

Got a second pc?

Not a desktop up and running with a spare PCIe slot to test the card if that's what you're getting at.

@TheCheat - I'll try that tonight. Will also try the DP adapter with my laptop, I have a mini DP to DP adapter and tried it when I got the monitors/adapter, so I know they're compatible.

Also placed an order for an MSI R7 240 2GD5 - cheapest card I found with both DL DVI and DP, just to test with. Can't find my old 670...

UPDATE: So anyway...

sC3mNHL.png

That really was weird. Tried the DP adapter through my laptop, same thing as my desktop. No display on the monitor. For sh*ts and giggles I tried reseatting the monitor end of the cable one last time and the display worked. Tossed the 980 back in my desktop, wired everything back up, now I have both monitors going and the 980 looks like it's operational (for now). I'm wondering if that cable was ever so loose, which caused the adapter to act up, which threw whatever it was hooked to in a loop.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if that cable was ever so loose, which caused the adapter to act up, which threw whatever it was hooked to in a loop.

Yep. That can happen. Moreso with HDMI ports as they don't have any clips to secure it in. I bumped my monitor with my headset when I...Placed them gently near the monitor...(Yeah, lets go with that one) and knocked the connector looseish. Had some video artifacts, didn't know why. Turns out it was just BARELY making contact with the pins(pads?), enough for the display to work most of the time, but micro-vibrations caused the screen to cut out/atrifact randomly.

I'm happy to report that no electronics were harmed in the process of this issue's lifespan, and that they are all functional and in one piece.

I may have thrown my headset onto my desk which may have dislodged the cable from it's secure positioning. It wasn't my fault. That guy had that shot in rocket league for days, and Whiffed it by a mile.

Back