• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Messing with voltages makes the OC less stable and even causes BSOD.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Got it. Well, I got an RMA request approved for my motherboard, and I might just RMA the CPU while I'm at it. Then I can confidently either sell both as BNIB knowing that I'm not pawning what could possibly be a faulty item onto someone else, or just install them in another rig down the road.

The RMA's is dishonest since everything works well at default.

The motherboard manufactures only test the motherboard at default settings then send it back to you.

I agree with Wingman. They both work, just not as well for overclocking as you would like. So RMA is not the way to go. Just sell them on ebay as they are. Invalid RMAs just drive up companies expenses and prices for all of us. And you will also avoid a lot of hassle and waiting for the company's judgment and return. Sell them and move on.

The RMA's is dishonest since everything works well at default.

The motherboard manufactures only test the motherboard at default settings then send it back to you.

I agree with Wingman. They both work, just not as well for overclocking as you would like. So RMA is not the way to go. Just sell them on ebay as they are. Invalid RMAs just drive up companies expenses and prices for all of us. And you will also avoid a lot of hassle and waiting for the company's judgment and return. Sell them and move on.

Got it. Might as well just keep them both, then, as this isn't something I NEED, per se. It works fine, just not the way I'd like. If I'm gonna upgrade, might as well wait for the next big thing. Thanks for all the help, gents.

Good move. We call it overclocking because it is not meant to do it from the intel factory, they just allow overclocking on the k CPUs. I had bad luck on my last CPU I could not achieve stability at 4.5GHz, I sold it.

This is interesting from intel. http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/faq

Does this mean that Intel is supporting or encouraging overclocking?
No. While we will, under the Plan, replace an eligible processor that fails while running outside of Intel’s specifications, we will not provide any assistance with configuration, data recovery, failure of associated parts, or any other activities or issues associated with the processor or system resulting from overclocking or otherwise running outside of Intel’s published specifications.

Good move. We call it overclocking because it is not meant to do it from the intel factory, they just allow overclocking on the k CPUs. I had bad luck on my last CPU I could not achieve stability at 4.5GHz, I sold it.

This is interesting from intel. http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/faq

Does this mean that Intel is supporting or encouraging overclocking?
No. While we will, under the Plan, replace an eligible processor that fails while running outside of Intel’s specifications, we will not provide any assistance with configuration, data recovery, failure of associated parts, or any other activities or issues associated with the processor or system resulting from overclocking or otherwise running outside of Intel’s published specifications.

My last 6700k had the plan, not sure if it carries over. Either way, both Intel and Gigabyte were informed of the true causes behind the RMA, so it's not like I tried to fool them. Gigabyte's approval was a bit surprising, as I thought they wouldn't bother RMAing any overclocking scenarios. I'll be extra surprised if I get an RMA approval from intel, as the request clearly stated overvoltages I was putting the CPU through. That being said, I decided it's just not worth my time to go and pull the parts out of the computer.
A) Everything technically works as it was designed to, and theoretically there is no valid reason to bother warrantying the products, as they do work to their advertised capacity.
B) I seriously don't want to have to pull the computer apart again, I'm dealing with too many projects as it is.
C) More importantly, grass is always greener on the other side. Just because I swap the parts, doesn't mean the new ones will work as I expect them to.

Did you actually tell them that you are having a problem with overclocking?:sly:

Yeah, believe it or not, the companies will come through if you're honest. It's easier for them when you tell them that your issue exactly is. I've never been denied warranty, down to some of the cars I've owned that I used to take to the dealership with no interiors from road racing them for warranty service (keep in mind that these cars were meant to be driven hard, much like the boards were designed for overclocking). I don't get this whole stigma that you have to lie to the manufacturer to get warranty, as they are legally not allowed to deny warranty if the fault is indeed theirs. If I wanted to RMA the two components, I would do it without hesitation as I didn't lie on any of the forms. Of course, I didn't send them any graphs like you see in the thread, but I did tell them that the issue is related to/directly caused by overclocking.

Then again, as stated earlier, there is no real reason for me to RMA it. I have the approval and 30 days to sit on it, but in those 30 days, I can get a lot more done with the computer running, rather than disabling it yet again for another 1-2 weeks.

Last edited:
I'v been in this for 22 years and if you call intel they say running the Processor out of listed specification voids the standard warranty. intel Phone Number: 1-916-377-7000

The motherboard manufactures don't care if you overclock the only thing you can damage is the intel CPU or BIOS and the board has to be sent in.

A long time ago we use to get new motherboards when we would RMA for the first year, that was great. There were so many RMAs that board manufactures made a RMA departments. Most boards go in with no problems and are sent back to the customer in the same condition. From what I see over the years if you have a real problem that will show up in default settings they will fix or replace and not tell what they have done, even if they did not fix the problem they say it is fixed, I see that all the time.:shock:

In the RMA department they don't test overclocking of any kind even memory, they just look for default settings problems. Gigabyte Phone 1-626-854-9338:cool:

I'v been in this for 22 years and if you call intel they say running the Processor out of listed specification voids the standard warranty. intel Phone Number: 1-916-377-7000

The motherboard manufactures don't care if you overclock the only thing you can damage is the intel CPU or BIOS and the board has to be sent in.

A long time ago we use to get new motherboards when we would RMA for the first year, that was great. There were so many RMAs that board manufactures made a RMA departments. Most boards go in with no problems and are sent back to the customer in the same condition. From what I see over the years if you have a real problem that will show up in default settings they will fix or replace and not tell what they have done, even if they did not fix the problem they say it is fixed, I see that all the time.:shock:

In the RMA department they don't test overclocking of any kind even memory, they just look for default settings problems. Gigabyte Phone 1-626-854-9338:cool:

Yeah, again, not worth the trouble for me to make the call and wait on confirming a DMC over hardware that I don't plan to mess with.

Went ahead and updated the bios to the F21 version, and still nothing. Decided to at least SWR the CPU, so went ahead and mailed that out. Turns out the CPU was actually faulty, and Intel replaced it for me. I am now more than an hour into prime95 testing at 4.5 GHz with pretty liberal voltage settings, so I'm just going to keep raising the clock speeds as long as it's nice and stable. Here's a screenshot of the HWMonitor window I'm running alongside the prime95 st. Temps hover in the high 60s, low 70s. Voltage is a little high, but the cooler can handle it fine as seen in the screen shot.

E68DGIS.png

What was faulty with the other CPU?

They never specified, just that it had to be replaced. I had issues with it from the getgo, I should have known from the baseline cinnebench scores being 30pts lower than my original 6700k that something wasn't right.

They never specified, just that it had to be replaced. I had issues with it from the getgo, I should have known from the baseline cinnebench scores being 30pts lower than my original 6700k that something wasn't right.

Where did you send the CPU to be tested? Intel does not test the CPU.

Went ahead and updated the bios to the F21 version, and still nothing. Decided to at least SWR the CPU, so went ahead and mailed that out. Turns out the CPU was actually faulty, and Intel replaced it for me. I am now more than an hour into prime95 testing at 4.5 GHz with pretty liberal voltage settings, so I'm just going to keep raising the clock speeds as long as it's nice and stable. Here's a screenshot of the HWMonitor window I'm running alongside the prime95 st. Temps hover in the high 60s, low 70s. Voltage is a little high, but the cooler can handle it fine as seen in the screen shot.

E68DGIS.png

Those max temps are still getting up there. Was that before the cooler ramped up or?

Where did you send the CPU to be tested? Intel does not test the CPU.

Oh, wouldn't know that. And whatever address they usually provide for SWR cases.

Edit: 2200 Outer Loop, Louisville KY address.

Those max temps are still getting up there. Was that before the cooler ramped up or?

After. I dropped voltages since and they're down into the 80s now.

Back