• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Single loop TEC/Water cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clyevo

Single%20loop%20water%20TEC%20hybrid%20cooling.png
I am not sure this has been discuss in this forum. Please point me to the right direction if already has lengthy discussion on this. I have only seen TEC with 2 watercooling loop or direct TEC on cpu IHS with heatsink. Will this work out well enough? What do you guys think? We can just add 2 cpu block and peltier to any cpu AIO water cooling.

Edit: the theory is :
increasing the temperature of water flowing into radiator --> in higher radiator temperature gradient compare to ambient --> more heat can be dissipated into ambient even when using low heat dissipation rated radiator size

How efficient? definitely less efficient than direct method and 2 water loop method?
Advantage:
1. Cost effective compare to using 2 loops
2. Doesnt require much space compare to using 2 loops
3. But still easier to prevent condensation compare to direct method
4. Peltier cooling can be turned off anytime if not gaming

Last edited:
This will not work. The heat from the cold plate needs to be rejected away from the loop, not back into the loop. Proper water flow through the CPU heatsink is high enough that the water temperature will stabilize in the loop, you won't have cool water, cold water, warm water, hot water as you imagine. That configuration would result in higher than ambient water throughout the loop.

This will not work. The heat from the cold plate needs to be rejected away from the loop, not back into the loop. Proper water flow through the CPU heatsink is high enough that the water temperature will stabilize in the loop, you won't have cool water, cold water, warm water, hot water as you imagine. That configuration would result in higher than ambient water throughout the loop.

is it because on top of heat transfer by peltier, the operation of peltier itself is generating heat? i have thought about this but not sure how significant it is.

Correct, the additional heat is from the operation of the peltier. It absorbs heat on the cold plate. It rejects that heat on the hot plate, as well as the heat of the wattage consumed to run the peltier.

Single%20loop%20water%20TEC%20hybrid%20cooling.png
I am not sure this has been discuss in this forum. Please point me to the right direction if already has lengthy discussion on this. I have only seen TEC with 2 watercooling loop or direct TEC on cpu IHS with heatsink. Will this work out well enough? What do you guys think? We can just add 2 cpu block and peltier to any cpu AIO water cooling.

Edit: the theory is :
increasing the temperature of water flowing into radiator --> in higher radiator temperature gradient compare to ambient --> more heat can be dissipated into ambient even when using low heat dissipation rated radiator size

How efficient? definitely less efficient than direct method and 2 water loop method?
Advantage:
1. Cost effective compare to using 2 loops
2. Doesnt require much space compare to using 2 loops
3. But still easier to prevent condensation compare to direct method
4. Peltier cooling can be turned off anytime if not gaming

is it because on top of heat transfer by peltier, the operation of peltier itself is generating heat? i have thought about this but not sure how significant it is.

The heat generated by the peltier is extremely significant and your design as pictured, the peltier would be canceling itself out, and you never ever combine a radiator on the cold side of the peltier.

Because a radiator is ambient cooling and it will be partially canceling out the cold produced by the peltier, sometimes what seems like a good idea just doesn't work, been there done that and learned the hard way.

Regarding the Advantage:
#1 Cost effective would require it actually working and 2 loops will work.
#2 Space wise you are correct, if it worked? (But it won't!)
#3 Condensation, FYI: Many believe condensation begins to occur immediately upon going below ambient but it doesn't. My system runs a coolant temperature 13c ~ 15c below ambient with zero condensation.
I have my coolant temperature controlled to run in a temperature controlled window the window is 8.9c cut out ~ 10c cut in of the 3rd peltier assembly which maintains a 10c coolant temperature regardless of ambient. I have never insulated the motherboard because I don't have condensation and have been running my setup for over 52 months.
#4 If it actually works yes, but my peltier cooling is controlled but never fully turned off, simply because it is supporting my i7-7700K overclocked to 5.2ghz rock solid stable.

I commend you on at least pondering the idea of using a peltier, because it was an idea that led to the cooling I am running today, which required a lot of experimentation and some of it worked, and some didn't work and had to be discarded, and start over.

What did work eventually led to my chilled water cooling linked below.

I hope you have the determination and tenacity to go forward, if at first you don't succeed try, try, again!

Ryan

Back