• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't access BIOS anymore during boot and other issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

idkfa

A while ago I got the bad idea that maybe a newer BIOS version would somehow unlock sys fan settings below 50% for me so I updated my BIOS. Long story short, the update process went wrong I was stuck with a PC that would not boot. After a whole day of trouble shooting and excellent support from MSI I got it to work again.

But some issues remain:

1) My PC will not always boot on the first try. It rarely (and never more than) takes 3 attempts to boot. The PC will power on, power off and power on again and then finally POST and successfully boot.

2) I can't access the BIOS anymore directly (F2, DEL, ...). I have to use advanced start up options out of windows 10 to get into it. Did MSI change the keys for that to a key not known to me? Previously it was F2.

3) Not sure if related to the BIOS update, sometimes my USB mouse and keyboard will stop working. I have to reboot the PC to get them to work again. I directly connected them to the front ports of my case, I have USB extension cables, the issue remains. If I then connect my wireless mouse/keyboard combo they work flawlessly. Recently I noticed that the "Device connected / disconnected" sound occurs from time to time without the noticeable disconnect of any device (a friend of mine reported the same. I disabled that power saving feature in windows 10 that would allow to disconnect USB devices with no success.

To 1) a friend of mine said he had the same with a failing SSD. Any chance to check?
To 3) I suspect it's the G15 keyboard I inherited from my roommate. He never had any issues but I only started to notice after I got his keyboard.

Do you guys have any information / input for me? Besides the obvious never touch a running system regarding the BIOS update :rolleyes: Specs are in the sig.

2) Maybe ultra fast boot enabled? Don't know about MSI, but with Asrock, when this options enabled, you need to get into bios from Windows, using an Asrock application.

3) Got the issue with the Asus P7Z68-V pro: integrated sound card was dying and got this "Device connected / disconnected" sound, which was incidentally killing my benchmarks... It stopped when I remove/disabled (can't remember) the sound device from device manager.

Thank you!
2) Maybe ultra fast boot enabled?
It was before too, and worked well. Do you think this could have changed with the update?

It stopped when I remove/disabled (can't remember) the sound device from device manager.
I don't have an external soundcard. I will check if I lose my optical output when I disable the device. As a last resort I'm pretty sure my DAC does not need a soundcard when connected via USB. I will check that out and report back.

Back