• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New install crashes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zinsco

Hi everyone, wanted to share my experience with this install and see if anyone has an idea for what was happening. Was very frustrating.

Set up my raid and installed windows 10. Installing drivers from motherboard CD, crashed. Went to Asus web site and downloaded drivers and install, worked. Installed graphics card drives from CD worked. Updated windows and started crashing most times when rebooting right at the load screen. Keep trying and finally works but crashes at load screen often. Cleared CMOS, delete raid, redo bios settings, redo raid, reinstall windows multiple times. Crashing got worse and I wanted to through my computer out the window.

Deleted raid, cleared cmos and everything and installed Windows without raid. Still crashes.

After going through this many, many, many, times I decided to disable the PCIE's, same as taking graphics card out, plug monitor into motherboard and ran it like that. NO MORE CRASHES! Hours and hours and all I had to do was disable graphics card. Anyway, still not happy cause I'm thinking brand new card is bad.

Decided to install graphics card drivers while card is disabled and then enable it. So far that has worked. No more crashes and card is working.

Has anyone ran into this problem? Does it make since to have to install graphics card drivers first before card is installed or enabled?

I would not have used the graphics card driver on the CD that shipped with the card. Likely an older version. I would just have let Windows 10 install the current Windows approved drivers for that card from the Microsoft server. If there were problems with that one, the next thing I would have done would be to download and install the latest driver for the card from MSI. I almost never use the drivers on the optical media that comes with video cards and printers cause they may have been sitting on the shelf for quite some time before you got them.

Yes, I should have. I did do it that way one of the times but still crashed. It's crashing now. I don't know what's wrong. Seems to be the nvidia driver. I don't know what to do

I usually run the generic drivers in Windows until I get the motherboard drivers installed. As soon as I have internet (LAN, WiFi, etc. drivers installed) I get the current drivers for my card. The drivers supplied with Windows 7 and 10 leave the borders of my display invisible and inaccessible every time. It drives me nuts, so I do graphics drivers first. I would *never* intentionally ask M$ for drivers for my hardware unless there were no other way, and I haven't had that be the only way yet.. If I'm doing a reinstall I have the latest drivers on my storage drive waiting for me when I install the OS, and install from there. I've never had a problem doing it that way. Same for a new card install in an existing system. I uninstall ALL the drivers for the old card, shut down and install the new card, then start it up and install the previously downloaded latest drivers. Honestly, I try to have as many hardware drivers for my gear as I can before I ever let Windows near the internet. If you're installing Windows 10, there's a few links in this thread http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-driver-problem-explained-And-it-doesn-t-help that might explain what happened. Windows 10 most likely decided it knew better than everybody else and immediately broke your install.

There are tools that remove all traces of display drivers. An ordinary uninstall from Programs and features may not get everything. I would use that tool to completely remove all Nvidia driver elements and start over with Alaric's suggestion.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

You may need to run it in windows safe mode if your computer is so unstable it won't let you install the tool.

Have you tried just running off the onboard video as a dx measure?

It only happens when I reboot and yes, if I turn off the pci-e lane that the card is in and run my monitor from the mother board no crashes at all.

You should be installing the latest certified drivers from NVIDIA for your gpu. Not from the driver disc, not generic drivers... from NVIDIA.

Which slot is the gpu in?

Also, how did you manage to install drivers while the card was disabled??????

Gpu is in the #1 slot and you are right, I only thought I had installed the drivers while the card was disabled. It was just some MSI live update program. I have enabled the card and successively installed the current driver from NVIDIA. Still crashes on boot up about 2 to 4 times and then works.

Last edited:
There are tools that remove all traces of display drivers. An ordinary uninstall from Programs and features may not get everything. I would use that tool to completely remove all Nvidia driver elements and start over with Alaric's suggestion.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

You may need to run it in windows safe mode if your computer is so unstable it won't let you install the tool.

Have you tried just running off the onboard video as a dx measure?

Used the tool to remove everything and tried to reinstall but install fails.

Have you tried running the card in another PCI-e slot?

Last edited:
Yes, I tried another PCI-e slot and didn't work. I just went and bought two more cards from frys and tried those and I can't get the drivers to install on those either. I bought a new 1200w psu also and doesn't help. The 1000w one I was using is 6 years old so I thought maybe that but nope.

I wonder if it's an update going wrong...

Install to othere single drive. Once your os is installed, the begin installing chipset, ME drivers from from asus website, reboot, then gpu drivers and see if it works.

PS - you should have bought a new 550W psu man.. 1.2kw.. return that thing asap. Go buy evga g2/g3 550W and save yourself $150. If you plan on going sli, get 650W.

Tell them you need to speak to tier 2... that's asinine.

I've run 3 gpus not on that list and they work...

Tell them you need to speak to tier 2... that's asinine.

I've run 3 gpus not on that list and they work...

I called Nvidia, and they said the same thing as you. Nvidia is awesome. The guy took control of my computer and got the drivers installed for me. He had to do it manually. I was so happy. Thought it was all good, but it is still crashing on boot up. I'm gonna try one of the other cards now that the drivers are installed again and see what happens.

Nvidia said they are 24/7 and I could call back.

Yep, it's the card. The two new ones I got today work after the drivers were installed manually with no crashes. When I put the water cooled one back in, it crashes on boot.

Glad you got it solved. Long road to the solution, was it not?

Good to hear that you got good customer service from Nvidia. Not all that common to get that from component manufacturers.

Could their be a problem with how the water block is installed on that problem card?

Glad you got it solved. Long road to the solution, was it not?

Good to hear that you got good customer service from Nvidia. Not all that common to get that from component manufacturers.

Could their be a problem with how the water block is installed on that problem card?

Thanks, and ya long road for sure. Nvidia, really surprised me with there unbeatable help. Ya, maybe the water block installation is what damaged the card but I bought it already installed, so it's not on me. Replacement should be here Monday.

Last edited:
Back