• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AIO Radiaotor Placement and Case Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jangovin

I am currently planning my next build, and trying to settle on the best case and radiator placement for an AIO cooled CPU (NZXT Kraken X52) and GPU (Gigabyte 1080 Extreme Waterforce). I have narrowed down cases to Phanteks P400S Tempered Glass and Corsair Carbide 400C. I am partial to Phanteks as I prefer the internal layout for the case and has sound proofing, and does not have a hole in the PSU shroud to route GPU cable, like the Corsair one.

Since there are 2 separate radiators to be placed, which would be the best setup among the 3 choices below, for optimal cooling:

Setup 1 - Phanteks P400S Tempered Glass
1) Kraken X52 as intake at front, and Gigabyte as exhaust at the back. No additional fans
2) Kraken X52 as intake at front, and Gigabyte as exhaust at the back. Add 1x120mm intake fan at the top to help bring in some cool air for the GPU rad, but this vent has no filter, and will have to sacrifice one sound proofing panel
3) Kraken X52 as intake at front, and Gigabyte as exhaust at the back. Add 1x120mm (or 2) exhaust fan as additional support to remove hot air from case, but this vent has no filter, and will have to sacrifice one sound proofing panel

Setup 2 - Corsair Carbide 400C (same choices as above, except that top vent also has filter now)

Setup 3 - Corsair Carbide 400C
1) Kraken X52 as exhaust at top, and Gigabyte as exhaust at the back. Use 2x140mm fans at the front as intake

Related question - can the Gigabyte Waterforce radiator be used as intake, and is it better to do so?

As a general rule, cases are designed to pull cool air in the front and exhaust it out the upper rear and top (if applicable). With either case I would probably mount the AIO up top and the GPU cooler in place of the rear exhaust fan. I have used an AIO as an intake, but that was in a carved up case and I didn't have a choice. And cleaning the dead dust bunnies from the radiator fins was not fun. I'm not even sure the water lines for an AIO will reach the front panel comfortably. My h100i wouldn't go anywhere near the front of a pretty small case.

Attachments

• Snapshot_20140518_5.JPG
    Snapshot_20140518_5.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 644
As a general rule, cases are designed to pull cool air in the front and exhaust it out the upper rear and top (if applicable). With either case I would probably mount the AIO up top and the GPU cooler in place of the rear exhaust fan. I have used an AIO as an intake, but that was in a carved up case and I didn't have a choice. And cleaning the dead dust bunnies from the radiator fins was not fun. I'm not even sure the water lines for an AIO will reach the front panel comfortably. My h100i wouldn't go anywhere near the front of a pretty small case.

Problem is the Phanteks case does not support a top mounted rad. So for the CPU AIO front mount is the only option. As for the water lines, I think measurement wise its able to reach in front. Just wondering if going with Phanteks, CPU rad as intake and GPU rad as exhaust will suffice for cooling.

If it reaches, it should be fine. I would make very certain it will reach, though. You don't want any stress on those lines installed. I love Phanteks cases, but, and this is only MY preference, I would go for the Corsair and top mount the AIO radiator. All things being equal, it shouldn't make any major difference either way. Custom water and a 5 GHz OC and I might lean towards pulling air from the front for the CPU rad, but you should be good either way.

Thanks for the suggestion mate.Will try with Phanteks first then, and check if tubes can reach properly. If not, will get the Corsair.

Back