• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to setup wireless bridge repeater

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

man00

Registered
Been trying to do so for a while with no luck.
My main router/Gateway is a NVG510 from AT&T, the router I'm trying use is a WRT54G (DD-WRT)
The NVG510 IP address by default is 192.168.1.254 was told to change that to 192.168.2.254
Leave the wrt54g ip to 192.168.1.1
When I change the IP on the NVG I can not access the NVG and no longer have internet access
The rest of the settings in the WRT54G are set correct for wireless bridge. But being unable to access the NVG kills it all

It's because you have 2 different subsets: x.x.1.x and x.x.2.x.

You either have to put them on the same subnet or change your subnet mask.

It's because you have 2 different subsets: x.x.1.x and x.x.2.x.

You either have to put them on the same subnet or change your subnet mask.
Could you give me a example of what you speaking of?
ddrt.JPG
nvg510.JPG

Last edited:
Unfortunately router config screens are different...so I can't help there.

Here are the general rules:

1. Only have one router as a DHCP server
2. Put your second unit in "non-router" or "pass through " or "access point" or whatever they call it mode
3. Give your second unit a fixed IP address, and reserve that address on the main unit
4. If they are connected by a cable, make sure that the cable going into the second unit on the switch interface, not the "uplink" or "cable modem" or whatever they call it that is by itself

Lets get clear on what you want to do here: You want to connect wirelessly from DDWRT to your main router and then do what with DDWRT? Because if you get a connection over wireless from your main router, then you will have to pass that connection over ethernet (I could be wrong, but do not think I am). So (I beleive) you cannot get and give wireless connection at the same time. I hope that helps, and I will be hunting up the links I used to make a similar setup for your to read in the mean time :)

Edit: I cant find the link I was referring to, but perhaps this one might give a little help for ya. I will post back if I find the one I was looking for.

Last edited:
Lets get clear on what you want to do here: You want to connect wirelessly from DDWRT to your main router and then do what with DDWRT? Because if you get a connection over wireless from your main router, then you will have to pass that connection over ethernet (I could be wrong, but do not think I am). So (I beleive) you cannot get and give wireless connection at the same time. I hope that helps, and I will be hunting up the links I used to make a similar setup for your to read in the mean time :)

Edit: I cant find the link I was referring to, but perhaps this one might give a little help for ya. I will post back if I find the one I was looking for.
I want to use the NVG510 Gateway to connect to AT&T..Use the DDWRT to connect wireless to the NVG and then have my Ipad, Iphone, Firestick to connect wireless to the DDWRT

Been trying to do so for a while with no luck.
My main router/Gateway is a NVG510 from AT&T, the router I'm trying use is a WRT54G (DD-WRT)
The NVG510 IP address by default is 192.168.1.254 was told to change that to 192.168.2.254

Where did this come from? To my mind you would leave this as your default gateway (just leave it the way it was: 192.168.1.x)
Leave the wrt54g ip to 192.168.1.1
This one should be 192.168.2.x (again I am not sure, but I would try it this way)

I want to use the NVG510 Gateway to connect to AT&T..Use the DDWRT to connect wireless to the NVG and then have my Ipad, Iphone, Firestick to connect wireless to the DDWRT

See my reply above and then refer to http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge. This new link gives instructions for setting up a repeater bridge. If I am reading correctly will allow you to connect to your NVG wirelessly and share the connection. Bridged Repeater mode may not be possible on the wrt54g (again, I am not sure), I think you may be limited to Bridged Client mode (link from my first reply) with that hardware.

Where did this come from? To my mind you would leave this as your default gateway (just leave it the way it was: 192.168.1.x)

This one should be 192.168.2.x (again I am not sure, but I would try it this way)

See my reply above and then refer to http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge. This new link gives instructions for setting up a repeater bridge. If I am reading correctly will allow you to connect to your NVG wirelessly and share the connection. Bridged Repeater mode may not be possible on the wrt54g (again, I am not sure), I think you may be limited to Bridged Client mode (link from my first reply) with that hardware.
The wrt54g may not work as I wanted..It will work when cable connected to the NVG but very slow

Wrt54g has an 802.11g wireless router that supports top speeds of 54Mbps. If you need greater spped then you will have to look into something with a newer wireless standard. There are combination routers that have 802.11b/g/n and the newest will have 802.11ac. 802.11ac will support the 5ghz band also (which is desirable). There may be a more recent standard, but the newest i am aware of is 802.11ac

Yep, your bridge device is old wireless technology.

Should you have gotten a wireless "extender" instead of a bridge if you don't want to connect them with ethernet?

Another option might be a powerline kit: https://www.cnet.com/topics/networking/best-networking-devices/power-line-adapters/

Having said all that, what you are trying to do is called "adding an access point." There are all kinds of tutorials on line that can help you do this. Google, "How to turn an old wifi router into a second access point." Here's an example: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-turn-an-old-wi-fi-router-into-an-access-point/

I have done what you are trying to do with the help of online tutorials. I kind of fumbled through it but eventually got it to work. Networking is not my strong point. Not sure how many of them show how to do it specifically in DDWRT but the principles are the same.

It is true that the second access point must have a different IP than the primary router because no two devices on the same network can use the same IP anymore than two houses on the same street can have the same address. But when you change the IP you also have to make other parameter adjustments. Maybe to the subnet mask and to the DHCP range.

Last edited:
I picked up a TP-Link AC750 ..it is pretty much useless..I dunno off hand what wireless technology is has but it is slow. Most likely will not be using it

The wrt54g with ddwrt can work to make wireless repeater bridge, i used a wrt54g V3 and it worked fine. Did you follow what was posted http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
It is best if you temporarily disable wireless security till you get both routers working with each other and use a different SSID for the repeater router, after you get it working you can adjust accordingly.
If your primary router NVG510 IP address by default is 192.168.1.254 then put the wrt54g as 192.168.1.255 assuming your not using that IP for anything and then your primary router will act as the DHCP server and issue IPs to anything connected to the wrt54g and everything connected to either router should be able to see each other.

Keep in mind that because you are repeating your going to get half the speed from the repeater router, if your internet speed is slower than this it wont matter only if you are transferring stuff over your wireless network Placement of the "repeater" router is key as if you dont have a strong signal its goin to be even slower.

Back