• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe OC on GTX 1070 Gigabyte Gaming G1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

downshift

Hello,

I am new to overclocking and i have tried to learn as much as possible before i started with my 1070. So i used EVGA Precision X software to overclock.
After much back and forth i have found that my card can do +100 / +300 stable. That puts me at 2025-2034mhz and 4303mhz on the memory.

To make sure it is stable I ran heaven and valley for hours and got the following results:

I played Witcher 3 for about 1 hour and everything seems stable. No crashes.

So is this a good overclock? I know its not the most, but it is stable to run this? Temp is ending up at around 65c after a few hours of testing / gaming.

The other thing i find disconcerting, is that when i boot up my PC, and i have EVGA Precision X to run when windows starts, excatly when it loads up i get a screen full of squares and some wierd colors. After 2-5 seconds they go away and i see that the EVGA softaware has put my card to default clocks. But if i go in and apply my OC again everything is okey? Games run great and the OC is working well. What is this all about?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to post my full setup:

Intel i7 2700k @ 4,4
Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
16gb DDR3 1333
Corsair TX650
Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler.
500gb Samsung Evo SSD
MSI P67AGD65

- - - Updated - - -

16jlgt3.jpg

2dw9rew.jpg

Thanks for your reply Earthdog, do you have any thoughts on the "glitch" in the EVGA software? Why does it makes squares and ditch my OC in the program? Happens right after startup.

I uninstalled the EVGA software and installed MSI Afterburner. But this did not fix the problem, it only made it worse.

Every time i load up Afterburner and apply the OC the screen freezes and i get this (see photo). After a few seconds of this my screen goes black and the desktop comes back normal. The OC has been removed and i am running stock again. This happens every time. Atleast with EVGA i got this once, but when i reaplied the OC it would run fine. No problems.

2s6lfex.jpg

So what is going on? Clearly not a software problem then? Bad overclock?

I have only set core clock to +100 and +300 on the memory. No increase in power / temp or anything else. Fan is on auto.

Looks like a bad memory overclock.

Did you increase the power limit slider to the max?

I also had MSI afterburner cause issues with my Pascal cards...the EVGA software has been working fine for me.

Looks like a bad memory overclock.

Did you increase the power limit slider to the max?

I also had MSI afterburner cause issues with my Pascal cards...the EVGA software has been working fine for me.

No I havent. I saw that the EVGA software also had a voltage limit slider to the left. Should i also set this to 100%? What is it at stock?

Will i hurt my card in the long run if i max the power slider and voltage limit? (Not changing voltage, just the limit)

No I havent. I saw that the EVGA software also had a voltage limit slider to the left. Should i also set this to 100%? What is it at stock?

Will i hurt my card in the long run if i max the power slider and voltage limit? (Not changing voltage, just the limit)

The voltage slider for Pascal cards works differently than earlier generation cards. I only increase this if I have a bad GPU overclock, and only in 25% intervals. For each of my Pascal cards (2 Titans and 1 1080 FTW), the voltage slider is only at 50%...and they run a sustained GPU boost clock of 2075 to 2125 MHz (sometimes 2150 MHz).

You should increase the power limit to maximum. This allows the card to draw more than the rated power when it needs it. If the card hits the power limit, it will downclock. As long as you have a high quality power supply, you should not have any issues with increased power draw.

It should not hurt your card with max power draw. I have been running my cards since I got them 24/7 (they do folding@ home while I'm not gaming).

Back