• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Highest temp hit 96c

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zinsco

Running prime95 v2810 for 1 hr, cpu @ 5GHz hit 96c 90c 95c 92c about 5 different times. Usually hovered about 70c most of the time. Is this bad temp or expected when pushed this hard?

Last edited:
Those are too high. You shouldn't want to go passed 80c-85c at the most. Make sure you aren't running the baking version of Prime95.

Also, what cooler are you using?

EK Supremacy EVO.

What is the baking version of Prime95?

I ran version 28.9

OK, you must be talking about versions with AVX, and that is what I did. Why does the cpu heat up more with that test?

I ran it with version 26.6 which doesn't have the AVX and my highest temp was 85.

The newer versions of Prime load in a way that they are only safe to run at near stock settings. The server processors actually downclock when AVX2 is detected to retain their TDP rating. On the desktop we're free to play and the thing most people don't know is how much current these routines can generate. It can be lethal for a CPU to see that level of current for prolonged periods.

As for the universal validity of various stability testing programs, that's a more difficult question to answer without using illustrations to simplify what occurs at the electrical level on some of the associated buses.

Being brief as possible and focusing on DRAM transfer as an example: Data is moved around the system in high and low logic or signal states. The timing of these systems and those that rely on them needs to be matched closely enough for data to be moved around and interpreted correctly.A burst of data may contain a series of 1s and 0s. The 1s pull more current as they require defined voltage level that is above 0. Each data pattern has a different effect on the timing margin. Some eat into the timing margin more than others (I may illustrate the theory of this in a future guide). If a given stress test does not generate patterns in a way that eats into the timing budget sufficiently to represent how the system is used, the stress test won't be as useful to the end-user.

That's why most stress test programs alternate between different data pattern types. Depending on how effective the rotation is, and how well that pattern causes issues for the system timing margin, it will, or will not, catch potential for instability. So it's wise not to hang one's hat on a single test type. Evaluate what your needs are from the system and try to run a variety of tools to ensure the system is stable in various ways. We also need to bear in mind that some stress tests only focus on a single part of the system, while others will impact multiple areas at once.

Seasoned users usually find a systematic way that leads them from stress tests that focus on individual areas to those that hit the entire system as part of their test regimen. Ultimately, this all comes down to what your requirements are and using enough testing to confirm reasonable stability for the system in its intended usage scenario.

We coded Realbench to generate stress with real-world apps. It's a useful tool for people that encode, render or crunch numbers with their systems. However, it's not the only method out there - there are many tools to evaluate system stability that are perfectly valid.

-Raja

Source

Granted your CPU isn't a Haswell but I think every CPU since than has had heat issues with newer 28+ versions of Prime.

OK, you must be talking about versions with AVX, and that is what I did. Why does the cpu heat up more with that test?

I ran it with version 26.6 which doesn't have the AVX and my highest temp was 85.

The newer versions have AVX2 insturction set iiterations. Try 27.7 which has AVX but not AVX2. It's a good compromise.

- - - Updated - - -

EK Supremacy EVO.

What is the baking version of Prime95?

I ran version 28.9

What about the radiator? The Evo is the water block.

You started another thread in this same section. Are these two related? Are your temp problems being caused by large air bubbles?

During stress testing, keep temps under 90C. While higher won't damage your chip, it leaves some headroom and at times, that high of temp can cause instability.

That airbubble thing would have been helpful to know in this thread...in thr forst post. Truthfully, these should be one thread as they are likely related....

I thought the high temps were because I ran the wrong prime95. Also, I was able to make the air bubble go away by tilting the case so I didn't think it was causing the high temps. Temps were below 85 with version 26.6. Anyway, I'm dealing with the air bubble. Found a leak in my 480 rad. Had to tear everything out including the MB to get the rad out. Waiting for new rad to show up. Hopefully today or tomorrow. Also, had a bad GPU and waiting for the new one to show up as well. Hopefully Monday.

Sorry, I didn't mention the air bubble issue.

Have to say, finding a leak in my 480 rad and having a bad graphics card requiring me to drain the system and take everything out to start over has not been the funnest thing to go through.

Last edited:
At least you're taking care of the issues now. It would be worse if the rad head leaked all over your stuff while you were gone during a long period of time.

Btw, what happened to the GPU?

Don't know. It crashed on boot most of the time. I went to frys and bought a couple different brands to test with and they were fine. Frys has a 30 day return policy and they said I can return them even if used. It's an msi with an ek block already installed from new egg, so maybe they damaged it when they installed the water block. It just arrived today and the rad will be here tomorrow so hopefully I can report some good news soon.

Wait, you're testing a GPU w/ out a loop installed to it? If so, it's crashing because its overheating.

Back