• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help choosing new peripherals, please?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dlaw

As some might recall from the build log in my signature, my Rosewill Apollo's "W" key started to intermittently not register. After cleaning and fighting with it for 6+ months, the problem persists, and now my wife complains of the "7" key in the numpad sticking. As I also hinted in my build log, the system will be evolving very soon, and my wife and I are ready to spend a little more on a keyboard that we'll both enjoy, and will last much longer than a year. We're both partial to the Cherry MX Blacks that we've had on the past two keyboards we bought, but with very few high end keyboards containing the features we want and Blacks, we've decided it's not a deal breaker for us anymore. I'm really interested in the Corsair K95 Platinum, but for that money is there anything with similar features at a lower pricepoint?

Also, the Samsung monitor in my signature died, it had been going for a couple of months (started slight ghosting that steadily became worse until it just wouldn't turn on anymore). It was a refurb, so the warranty is long past, so it will need to be replaced as well. A friend from work lent me a Benq 1080p/60hz deal that works, but doesn't look anywhere near as good as my UHD panel did when it worked right. One thing that this monitor did make apparent is how much ghosting really does effect my accuracy in shooters. Anyway, the biggest problem is I'm used to UHD gaming, and I'm running a UHD TV for gaming in the living room hooked up to the same PC. I don't really want to have to switch resolutions every time I want to play on the TV (did this before but reversed, TV was 1080p, monitor was UHD), but I'm torn between getting a monitor with UHD resolution or one with a higher refresh rate. I could go with a 1440p/144hz monitor and just use that resolution on both screens... That's what I want to discuss here.

So, for the keyboard, our budget is $200 max. Features we want are:
-Must last for 5+ years without issue.
-RGB lighting, the more the better.
-Mechanical (obviously) keys.
-Solid construction (really liking the aluminum construction on Corsair keyboards).
-Close to the size of a standard keyboard (K95 RGB will not do, 1 extra column of keys is okay, 3 is too much).
-Must have number pad.
-Comfortable wrist rest (doesn't have to be fancy, but it must be sturdy and supportive, no rocking, etc.)

For the monitor, our budget is $400.
-UHD/60hz+ or 1440p/100hz+
-27"+ screen size.

UHD is still pretty unsupported (it's getting much better though), so downgrading to a 1440p screen with a higher refresh rate might actually be a better gaming setup overall. What do you guys think?

I love love love this keyboard.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816046

Cherry MX mechanical switches. Solid aluminum upper. RGB lighting for each individual key to include presets for different syles of gaming. A single toggle button to adjust the brightness from low, medium, high and off. An aluminum scroll bar for volume control. Full key rollover which means every single key has its own electrical circuit which is not that common.

Here is a current link for the Red switches
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16823816079

Here is a current link for the brown switches
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16823816080

If you don't already know, each type of mechanical switch is a little different based on a tactile "click" and pressure to depress the key. These differences are distinguished by color and has nothing to do with the back lighting which is what I originally thought. I like the brown switches from Cherry MX for the standard pressure required and the lack of a "click". If you goole Cherry MX switches you'll find some great descriptions of what each color provides.

I do know the difference between switches, but thank you for being thorough. I personally prefer Blacks, but could get used to any of them with practice.

I was considering the K70 with MX speed switches, but I really like the lighting on the K95 platinum. If there isn't enough difference between them to justify the $50 price difference, I'll probably go with the K70, but I was mostly wondering if there were other ones to look out for.

I do like the way that keyboard looks. Can you tell me about the construction? Is it mostly plastic, or is there a more rigid material used for support?

Last edited:
I believe the bottom is all plastic, the top has a aluminum plate, that wraps around the edges of the keyboard. I can post pictures later if you want. Or check it out here:

http://www.aziocorp.com/webe/html/products/index2.aspx?num=81

There is no flex to it at all, its solid. I have the brown switches. What I liked about it, is there is no software, colors/patterns are set up via hotkeys.

I have been using a cougar 700k keyboard for the past month or so and thus far like it.

https://m.newegg.com/product/index?itemnumber=23-567-007

I am not a heavy gamer so I by no means even come remotely close to utilizing the keyboard functions. Cannot really speak to the longevity of this keyboard yet as I have only had it since Christmas but so far it has taken my abuse. One downside is no rgb, has backlighting in orange only, I like the color though so it does not bother me.

I've had my Blackwidow chroma over a year now. Wish best buy stocked the orange switch version, but I have the green (bought it with a discount). Quieted it up a bit with some o-rings from Amazon, and I have been very happy with it. Numerous programs (for classes) and papers written on it. Plus it has tie-ins with some games (overwatch, Deus ex mankind divided). Cool features :)

I've had my Blackwidow chroma over a year now. Wish best buy stocked the orange switch version, but I have the green (bought it with a discount). Quieted it up a bit with some o-rings from Amazon, and I have been very happy with it. Numerous programs (for classes) and papers written on it. Plus it has tie-ins with some games (overwatch, Deus ex mankind divided). Cool features :)

The game stuff is probably the only reason I'm considering the Black Widow. The biggest drawback is it's size, since boards like the K95P and K70 have a much smaller footprint (I have a buddy who has a BW and a K70, he says the K70 is much smaller). Right now I think I'm stuck between these two and the Azio that lordkosc suggested. More input is more than welcome, though.

I found this monitor today, and I'd like opinions if you don't mind. I'm reading it has the same panel as most high end 1440p 144hz gaming monitors, is this true and should I worry about buying an "off brand" monitor?

As of now, I've decided on this monitor and this keyboard. I was kind of hoping for more help with the monitor, though. I don't know enough about monitors to be totally comfortable buying an off brand one with high specs, versus one by Acer, Asus etc. for the same money.

I decided to go with the K70 Rapidfire because it is available when I want to order it (the 22nd as of now), and meets all of the criteria in my first post. I would have to wait for the K95 Platinum until after March 1st. Some of the plans for my system overhaul require me to have everything here before I start, so that won't work. The K70 is highly recommended in this price range all over the internet, so that alone speaks enough about longevity for me, and I can deal without the edge lighting and macro keys that I won't use. The two biggest things for me are the headphone cord channels under the keyboard and the improved wrist rest on the K95P, but neither are deal breakers.

The reason I chose the K70 over the Azio board is because I have an Azio board in that price range, and I had to replace it when I started having problems with it. That one seems well built, but I don't think it would hod up for my family. I question what they cheaped out on. I need this keyboard to last at least 5 years, and I don't feel like any budget board will do that for me.

But, since I've saved around $30 (it will be off sale before I can order it), can anyone recommend a place to get some nice custom led-compatible keycaps? I'd like to just get some full color icons for some games that I play, and make the keyboard "mine", but from what I'm seeing, $30 doesn't get you far.

I'd recommend the Logitech G-910 or in your case, G-810(Closer to standard keyboard size, couple less features).

The hand rest is somewhat flimsy(910) and non-existant(810), but I literally never use it, because my wrist hovers over the keyboard rather than resting on it from my desk height.

Mechanical keyboard with in-house switches, Noted as "Romer-G". Downside is that custom Keycaps aren't available(yet).

Benefits: No LED Bleed into the backboard(could be a con, but a pro for me.) and LED is located in the center of the switch vs the top, so keys are evenly lit all the way through.

Sturdy: I've had my g910 since release, so going on two years now, no issues. It's HEAVY: 4.6 pounds

Comfortable: feels like a Cherry MX Brown switch with O-rings installed, and puts very little strain on your hands when typing, due to the force needed to actuate a key being almost 25-40% less than a Cherry MX Red, so you find yourself not slamming the keys down to type.

Advanced control of the RGB led elements: You can literally create animated loops of keys. In my case, I have them all glowing a dark green, with the matrix effect flowing down the keys on loop. Makes for fun visuals.

Disable ANY key: Has a "game mode" button, that disables keys that you decide on*Windows keys anyone?* while active. Very handy feature to prevent accidental tabbing of games when you are trying to crouch with left ctrl, for example.

I see you already decided on a keyboard, and I'm certain you will be satisfied with your purchase. Figured I just add my $.02.

I appreciate that. The wrist rest is a no-go if it's flimsy like you say, but I have heard great things about that board. I will look more into it.

Keyboard: I have https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...N7359&cm_re=masterkeys-_-23-129-046-_-Product in TKL. Nice feel. Very sturdy, plenty of lighting features with software programmable modes. For something a bit more subtle. It replaced my non-backlit Leopold FC700R, another tank of a TKL. I'm not a macro-key person so having extra buttons is a 'eh' factor to me. I use a K70 Blue switch at work for typing though, and can say I prefer both my Leopold/CM for build quality. I realise it does not have a wristrest, but you can buy one I guess separately by Ducky or Glorious with a nice padding. Else I'm happy to go along with the 910 from logitech, my friend has a 710+ and is very happy/I've played with it for a bit. It's quite nice. So I assume the 910 to be better.

My Corsair K70 is nice, but the keys are wearing now after 1+ year (specifically my A key, S key, etc). But that's with a lot of typing daily. No gaming. The newer models may have better keycaps as mine is an older generation.

Monitor:

I personally have, and recommend - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...014383&cm_re=benq_1440-_-24-014-383-_-Product however it is not high refresh rate. Colours are great (plenty of colour profiles out there as well to download/install), very nice accurate colours and good viewing angles being an IPS. However 60hz may break it for you as per your requirements.

I haven't really found any monitor that meets your requirements at that budget. :\. The BenQ/Asus models of 144hz at 1440p are all 500+ typically. I've never heard of the brand you asked about. Though I'm also in Australia. I'd try find out the vendor and who makes the panel (is it a reject LG panel maybe? Something similar to the old QNIX monitors that can be OC'd, etc).

I think I'll give the Pixio monitor a shot, bad reviews are mostly for stuck pixels and DOAs. From what I'm reading, the panel is the same as the one found in high end Asus and Acer 1440p 144hz 27" monitors, and this video seems to confirm it. If I have problems, I'll send it back.

I also think I'm sold on the K70 RGB Rapidfire, since most other boards being mentioned are around that price range anyway, and I'm liking the reviews I'm seeing on the Speed switch. I am very interested in getting some custom skull keycaps with the key name on the front for a kill counter and maybe some magazine clips for ammo and "plus signs" for health in CS:GO (I plan on using Aurora for game integration), and maybe some others.

This is my first forum post from my new keyboard!!! It is incredibly comfortable to type on, and the keys are beyond responsive. My only complaint is actually concerning the wrist rest, and it's that my wrists slide on it pretty easily while I'm typing. I'm not sure if it's just because it's new, and there's some kind of coating on it, or what, but it's way more comfortable than my Rosewill board's anyway, so I'll just get used to it.

My monitor should be here on Tuesday, I'm pretty excited to get this thing going!

Nice! TBH my work keyboard (K70 with wristrest), I find that I don't even lean on the wrist rest very often at all anyway.. My home keyboard has no rest and doesn't bother me. Eh.

Back