• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR3 Ram Overclocking, Timing, or Replacement?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkade

Hello All! I've been dead for literally years, so long that i just had to do the mandatory password reset, haha

So I have a 3x4 GB Corsair Dominator GT Kit that with my Core i7 920 on a P6T was capable of 8-8-8-21 with a row refresh of 88 at 2T at 2000Mhz and was very snappy, now with my X5650, I cannot get over 1600Mhz with any settings(including 10-10-10-30 124 refresh, 2T), at 1600mhz I have stable 8-8-8-21 Refresh 88 at 1T. I wanted to get my IMC from 3200Mhz to 4Ghz and the ram to 2000Mhz. My Board is now a Rampage III Extreme. The sticks are CMT12GX3M3A2000C9

is there either a better way to time these? Or clock them? Or should I try other stick entierly?(I do have Patriot Sector 7 3x4GB 2000Mhz sticks somewhere too)

With an odd number of sticks you will be running in single channel mode and losing performance.

On the X58 platform.. that was their thing triple channel... remember, X58 is HEDT.

Also, on a dual channel platform, 3 sticks runs in MIXED MODE. Meaning 2 sticks are dual, the other is single.

Last edited:
Hello All! I've been dead for literally years, so long that i just had to do the mandatory password reset, haha

So I have a 3x4 GB Corsair Dominator GT Kit that with my Core i7 920 on a P6T was capable of 8-8-8-21 with a row refresh of 88 at 2T at 2000Mhz and was very snappy, now with my X5650, I cannot get over 1600Mhz with any settings(including 10-10-10-30 124 refresh, 2T), at 1600mhz I have stable 8-8-8-21 Refresh 88 at 1T. I wanted to get my IMC from 3200Mhz to 4Ghz and the ram to 2000Mhz. My Board is now a Rampage III Extreme. The sticks are CMT12GX3M3A2000C9

is there either a better way to time these? Or clock them? Or should I try other stick entierly?(I do have Patriot Sector 7 3x4GB 2000Mhz sticks somewhere too)

I'm not that familiar with Xeon overclocking but it's likely that the CPU itself just doesn't agree with high speed ram. They're made to be precise with the memory hence the ECC support.

I'm not that familiar with Xeon overclocking but it's likely that the CPU itself just doesn't agree with high speed ram. They're made to be precise with the memory hence the ECC support.

I wouldn't be shocked but i was wondering cause I've seen others do it

My question really in this thread specifically... Is the ram I'm using okay or should I replace it with something else for better clocks, timings, and ect?

If it can run 2000 at CL8 then it's already decent ram. If you can't get over 1600 I wouldn't blame the sticks TBH. You might be able to get the timings down a bit more. Like 7-8-7 to help offset the loss in speed.

If it can run 2000 at CL8 then it's already decent ram. If you can't get over 1600 I wouldn't blame the sticks TBH. You might be able to get the timings down a bit more. Like 7-8-7 to help offset the loss in speed.

So you figure my Chips IMC is my limit right now? I was gonna change chips soon so Maybe better silicon lottery?

That's the best way to test it. They're not all created equal that much I know. I recently had a new 7700K that would not overclock the cache at all, even with excessive voltage.

That's the best way to test it. They're not all created equal that much I know. I recently had a new 7700K that would not overclock the cache at all, even with excessive voltage.

Alright Gonna give that a shot, good to know I have solid ram. Now to Pop an X5670 in and give it a go

My old 970 was a terrible clocker but it had a really strong memory controller. My Xeon doesn't like much more than 1000mhz.

Back