• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q9650 CPU OVERCLOCK TO REDUCE BOTTLENECK?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

simauzas

Registered
Hi, I have Intel q9650, I have all coolers and motherboard to start overclocking cpu. Last question. Can overclocking the cpu reduce GPU bottleneck? Because cpu usage is 99%, gpu is 60% (added picture).
I have gtx 1050 gpu and q9650 cpu.

33kq6ub.jpg

Overclocking the CPU will give some improvement in your gaming experience. It will free the GPU up a little. But you are going to be limited by both CPU and GPU in the final analysis if your game settings are on high quality with modern games. It's time for a general upgrade.

But your question begs other questions:

1. What are you using to determine the relative amounts of CPU/GPU usage? You show a picture in your post. Where is that from? Is this report from a game you commonly play or some utility?
2. What software do you commonly run that suggests your CPU is bottlenecking you? What games do like to play? Do you realize that some games rely much more heavily on the CPU than others? Some games are very GPU intensive and use the CPU only a little. Is this a real world bottleneck for you in what you actually use the compute for is it a hypothetical bottleneck generated by some benchmark?
3. Will your motherboard stand up to overclocking a quad core CPU? It looks like a lower end motherboard product and the power phase components are likely not robust.

What is the make and model of your PSU? A cheap, no name PSU may not be up to overclocking.

Last edited:
1. That is msi ab OSD I believe.
2. See #1.. but not sure he's being held back much if it all with a 1050...
3. Probably not much.. 4 phase, no heatsinks...g41 chipset..

That said, not sure even a q9650 us holding back a budget card like the 1050 in the first place. Just because your cpu isnt showing 100% doesn't mean it's holding back anything in the first place. Sometimes a game just doesn't need all of the cpu. ;)

That said, not sure even a q9650 us holding back a budget card like the 1050 in the first place. Just because your cpu isnt showing 100% doesn't mean it's holding back anything in the first place. Sometimes a game just doesn't need all of the cpu. ;)
Maybe a language barrier, or did you mix up the loads? In this case the OP has 100% CPU load while GPU load is not 100%. I always thought this would be evidence for the CPU holding the GPU back.

Oops... borked that.. good catch.

It can be a sign, sure... but it depends on the game, title, and settings. ;)

I owned ep45t-ud3lr motherboard with hyper 212 evo for overclocking:) so I would never overclock with g41 chipset, because it cant

Thanks mate! Do you think my pc is good enough and still can be strong? EP45T-UD3LR Mobo, intel q9650 cpu, 16gb ram, nvidia gtx 1050 OC edition, coolermaster hyper evo 212 cpu cooler, 120gb kingston ssd

Good enough.. sure. Strong, no. That cpu is 5 generations behind bud. The gpu Id barely consider a 1080p gaming card, honestly.

Overclock that cpu and gpu to get the most out of them, for sure!

Back