• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is which?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Last edited:
small.jpg small 1.jpg Screenshot (8).png

Unfortunately it looks like the computer over heated with the fans installed. So should i just remove those fans i installed?

I left her folding throughout the day today and it hit over 400k ppd.

Last edited:
Socket/VRM area got way too hot. 115c. Cores stayed nice and cool cause package temp never got above 41c and thermal margin was 29c which, comparing the two, seems about right.

Do you have any fans on the backside of the motherboard in the socket area?

No i do not have any. I dont see how that could help if there is no flow between the rear socket and side panel. I agree its way to hot. On the bright side, its way cooler while gaming. should i put a fan blowing on the rear of the socket or sucking?

Would i have to drill another fan on the back through the side panel?

the 115c is not an accurate temp, if you have not over ridden the bios, it would have throttled.
if cpu thermal control is set to auto and let on t-robe, this is default, the crosshair 5-f and f-z boards throttle at 90c.

my older notes say the motherboard pops up a warning at 65c, throttles at 70c, shuts down at 90c.
all you want to do on the back of the socket is get the hot air moving out, it builds up back there, just get it out, not much airflow is needed, just some.
in the case i use there is nothing i can do back there, a drive mounts right over the socket.

Last edited:
Okay, but it did show it throttled to 3.0ghz. should i add one last fan on the rear side of the panel?

should i have it blowing towards the socket or blowing away from the socket?

Does the fan placement seem okay? I know its not pretty but its not moving. And I will add another fan probably Saturday to the socket, I have 8 120x25 fans just collecting dust so I'll cut out a whole and mount it. I'll run prime95 and see if that made a difference. But this is gonna be the last thing I do to this computer.

Yep, we cut holes in our case panels if there is not sufficient clearance between the panel and the backside of the motherboard tray for flow. In the meantime to test the effectiveness of a backside fan, just remove the side panel and direct the flow of a household fan onto the backside.

We have seen nothing but heat related problems with members running the FX-9590.

Alright cool. It seemed the fans helped a bit but i am not sure how much since the temps showed inaccurate. Is there a better monitoring software anyone can recommend to replace HWInfo?

I already cut two fan wholes on the plastic side panel I have. There might be clearance but I am worried about the flow of air if the panel is closed. I think I will just wait and throw the fan on. It couldn't hurt and can only make things better, even if its marginal.

Yeah I really ****ed up building this machine. I didn't do enough research on AMD vs Intel. But I mean it is giving me experience with heat, overclocking, and stability control. AMD mislead a lot of people with this cpu, but its in the past now. I only hope Ryzen is as good as they say it is, and Ill build one of those. If Ryzen sucks, Ill wait for cannon/Coffee Lake. But my next build will have a full custom water cooling loop since they are so good looking and Ill probably throw the VRMS in the loop as well.

Thanks for both of your help, My computer is running much better now then it was before.

Alright cool. It seemed the fans helped a bit but i am not sure how much since the temps showed inaccurate. Is there a better monitoring software anyone can recommend to replace HWInfo?

I already cut two fan wholes on the plastic side panel I have. There might be clearance but I am worried about the flow of air if the panel is closed. I think I will just wait and throw the fan on. It couldn't hurt and can only make things better, even if its marginal.

Yeah I really ****ed up building this machine. I didn't do enough research on AMD vs Intel. But I mean it is giving me experience with heat, overclocking, and stability control. AMD mislead a lot of people with this cpu, but its in the past now. I only hope Ryzen is as good as they say it is, and Ill build one of those. If Ryzen sucks, Ill wait for cannon/Coffee Lake. But my next build will have a full custom water cooling loop since they are so good looking and Ill probably throw the VRMS in the loop as well.

Thanks for both of your help, My computer is running much better now then it was before.

Agreed. AMD was not very forthcoming with their customer base about the heat issues with the FX-9550. It was just a bad development and marketing decision all around. I think they were desperate to come up with an offering that they hoped customers would imagine would compete with the Intel offerings. But it was a flop.

Yes, these are all good learning experiences we have had. Education is never cheap.

Alright guys, I installed a 120x25 fan on the outside of my side panel blowing towards the socket. Huge difference in temps, if I knew it would make this big of difference I would have done it a long time ago. Previous max was around 56 where with the fan installed the max was 46.

Screenshot (9).png IMG_20170218_125148624.jpg

It ain't pretty but its does the job.

I thought about giving you some pointers for cutting out a fan hole and now I wish I had. Not as easy as it might seem if you have never done it. I keep an old fan housing around for a tracing outline with the hub and hub supports cut out.

Secure it to the side panel at the corners withe double-sided adhesive strips cut in small triangles before you trace so it doesn't move around on you.

Next thing to do is to mark the screw holes in the corners. Take a drill bit the size of the holes and use it for a punch to dimple the holes for drilling.

After drilling out the screw holes, use them to attach the gutted fan housing described above with fan mounting screws and trace around the housing on the inside with an awl or a drill bit, being careful to keep the tool vertical so that the traced pattern diameter is the same size as the center ridge of the fan hole. You want to make sure the fan hole is not larger than the frame of the fan after you cut it or you will have gaps to the outside, as you know by now.

I guess the advice is a little late now but it might be helpful on another occasion to produce a more aesthetically pleasing outcome.

Yeah I honestly wasn't to worried about the looks, just trying to get it cool. I am going to try to get 5.0 and see what voltages it needs. Hopefully It will stay cool enough. But thanks for the input.

Well I got it stable at 5.0 during prime95 for 10min but I was scared to go longer because of the temps. Ill post a picture but I do have a concern and question. But first the picture
Screenshot (10).png

As you can see the temps got pretty high but didn't throttle. I am sure the temps wouldn't be similar during game play since its not a stress test. Would that voltage be okay for my gaming sessions? I wont set it that high unless I am gaming but the boot setting it 4.7 at 1.404. I wont be running any folding or anything like that at 5.0, just gaming.

Last edited:
Yep, CPU temps were just about to the limit. If it's stable in running apps then you're okay. You might try an older version of Prime95 such as 27.7 that doesn't contain AVX2 instructions. Those older versions run about 10c cooler. Other good stress tests like AIDA64 Extreme and Reachbench (CPU stress test) are still cooler than that even but do a good job when run for longer periods, say several hours.

Back