• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD Blunder need help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rcillig

Ok, So I got 2 external hard drive the same, 3 gig Hatachi's. One on my main, one on my torrent pc.. I wanted to move some music from pc 1 to pc2 so put it on the hd and dis connected from pc 1 and plugged other in pc 2. It wasn't loading kept giving info for disconnect hd so I changed drive letter thinking that might work and when it didn't I rebooted. PC hung on boot and I held in power button to stop boot after like 5 min. Disconnected the hd rebooted with out it hooked up and she booted right up. Now the HD is fudged.... so mad at me self.

When I try and open it I get this error "G not accessible. The Parameter is incorrect."

tried the cdm, chkdks /f :g but wont go get this error "The drive, the path, or the filename is not valid."

I see the drive as healthy in Disk Management .

I run recuva and get nothing on first scan but on deep scan I find my files. It gives me over a day to recover them though & im not sure if its free or not.

This drive is important, I had all my picture backups for my family on it. like 20 years worth. I really need to salvage them. Suggestions?

Your post is very confusing. Could you slow down and explain in more detail what you did and what happened? Which drive did you change the letter on? Don't see how you could change the drive letter on a drive that isn't loading. Could you see it in Disk Management? Who or what was giving you info for disconnecting hard drive, bios or Windows? Sounds like your PC was trying to boot off the external drive at one point so when you removed it it found the system drive. Which one wasn't loading, the one you plugged into PC1 or PC2?

Could you communicate in outline form (numbered or bulleted list) with more detail please about who, what and where?

And when you moved the music from pc1 to the external hard drive, did you do a copy and paste or did you do a cut and paste. If you just copied the music, should it still be on pc1? You indicated pc1 booted fine after you disconnected the external hard drive.

Last edited:
Ok first off I'm very sry... I got adhd and sometimes I leave out details as I see them as obvious but from another point of view its very confusing. I confuse people all the time and it try not to do it but I'm having one of them days.

I got 2 pc's both with an external hd's I wanted to move music from pc1 too pc2 so I put it on the external of that pc when I moved and hooked up the hd from pc1 on pc2 it listed as the hd from pc

PC1 - HD1(music)
PC2 - HD2

Moving time PC2 - HD1(music) PC2 listed HD1 as HD2 even though HD2 Wasn't hooked up, they are the same model drives so I thought maybe I needed to change drive letters as the pc gave it the same drive letter. Changed from G to N. PC said needed to reboot, rebooted hung for like 5 mins. Forces Power off then rebooted with out the HD1 connected.

Now I get the errors when I try and hook it up or access it. The drive loads in windows but I cant access it. The recovery program recuva says there is data still there and I can get it... one file at a time, there is like 143404 files on the drive... one file at a time would be terrible!

Still confusing.

Are the music files still on PC1? I mean you just copied them, right? You didn't delete them from PC1, right?

Also, Windows will assign the same letter to any removable storage device plugged into a computer, regardless of whether it is an external hard drive or a USB flash drive. If you plug in an external HD it will assign it the next unused letter in the alphabet. If you remove that drive and plug in another external hard drive it will get the same letter as the first one. Or if you remove the first one and plug in a USB flash drive it will still get that same drive letter. The letter isn't remembered by Windows as belonging to a particular removable storage device. On the other hand, if you plug in an external hard drive and Windows gives it a letter, then plug in a second one with the first one still plugged in, Windows will give the second one a different letter because the letter assigned to the first drive is already in use.

Last edited:
Ok I'm back had to work long hrs the last few days but got today off to solve this. Here is the dead regardless of how it happened, yes It was prolly my fault.

I got a drive that when plugged in windows 10 pc, registers when I open my computer as (G:) drive but doesn't load like it used to and say Hitachi (G:) Drive. When I click on drive and try and open it I get this error "drive not accessible parameter incorrect"

When I run data recovery software by info is still there but id have to purchase the software to go that route. currently I don't have the extra funds to go this route or id do it.

- - - Updated - - -

mins after this post i tried chkdsk again, was getting a mounted error but after rebooting and trying it again chkdsk /f g: fixed what ever read error was there and its now access able. Thanks You and Sry for the confusion of my posts the other day!

I just could not understand why you didn't take the other external drive (you said you had two of them) and copy the music files all over again from PC1 to it. You never did answer that question. But glad you got the misbehaving drive running again.

Back