• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the best Android Software Firewall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Doesn't have to have extra features, just a simple phone-home intercept app for Android.
I researched this a bit and people like NoRoot Firewall which requires no root but question: if you DO have root, is NoRoot Firewall still the best?

Perhaps this will help: http://joyofandroid.com/best-firewall-apps-for-android/

It seems that root access allows for more tools to be used in some of these apps. I can't imagine that makes it worse.

The link doesn't directly answer your question...I feel only a review site which tests empirically can only provide you that answer, but it gives a firewall app or two that work really well while rooted.

I find a firewall on Android to be kind of a burden. The reason being that you need a) a good understanding of all the working parts of ALL your apps or b) time to experiment with trial and error. Otherwise you may lose connectivity for an important app or even just a feature that does not intuitively appear to need online access.

Having said that I use AFWall+ more because of a solid recommendation than because it outperforms anything else Ive tried. It does have ab easy to understand UI and doesnt lack any options that I am aware of needing as of today.

From reading your past posts on firewalls and how to manage them i look forward to seeing which one you settle on though, as it seems to be a topic that you are very familiar with

Yes. Thanks for the suggestion.
I suppose my first thought was 'ask ocforums' -- my second thought was 'do a search,' -- then I reversed the two because I love EarthDog so much and want to make him happy, every day. :)
My third thought is to test them, I can do the five in ED's link or if you have an additional one, just post.

The test functionality is simple data going out intercept.
Even on PC, the best firewall software is an absolute nightmare with default settings, I mean horror-movie stuff nightmare (Comodo Firewall).
But properly adjusted (with a reusable settings file) it does the best job of intercepting third party apps and not Windows operating system stuff.

So the goal is to find an equivalent on Android.
Comodo has an Android app but the goal is also not to install a comprehensive suite hog of everything which is what some of them, (Comodo included) are.
Just phone home intercept of the few third party apk's that people install from Google Playstore.

Back