• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5-4690k OC questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RidgySea

Hello Overclockers Community,

I just had a couple quick questions about my overclock, and I wanted some of your personal opinions on the matter.
So I currently have a i5-4690k (3.5GHz base) in my rig. I currently have it overclocked at 4.5 GHz with a Hyper 212 Evo setup in my setup. When idled it stays around 25c ~ 30c and when gaming it goes to about 45 ~ 50c, heavy load CPU stress tests take it to about 65c MAX.

The current voltage for this OC is 1.19v

Now, I want to push this to about 4.7 GHz. I tested this OC and the stable voltage for this OC was 1.295v
The temps on this OC were about 30 ~ 35c idle, up to 55c when gaming and hitting about 70c when fully stressed.

Complete PC Specs:
GPU - Gigabyte GTX 960 Overclocked @ 4GB
CPU - Intel i5-4690k (currently OC'd at 4.5 GHz)
RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB
COOLER/HEATSINK - Hyper 212 evo
PSU - Kingwin ABT-850 850w PSU
MOBO - Gigabyte Z97X-SLI

Here's my questions.
1) Would you run this OC /w this chip and cooler at the 1.295v?
2) How long do you think the chip would last under a OC like this with this setup?
3) Would you consider this 4.7 GHz OC a safe 24/7 OC based on these stats?
4) Would you PERSONALLY use this OC if you had the same setup.

Thanks! I'll be looking forward to your opinions.

Anything below 1.32v is a win. My chip is @ 4.7Ghz and 1.32v 24/7 since I first got it. I wouldn't have a problem running your setup at all.

My question is what did you run to be sure your overclock is rock steady stable at that speed/voltage?

Anything below 1.32v is a win. My chip is @ 4.7Ghz and 1.32v 24/7 since I first got it. I wouldn't have a problem running your setup at all.

My question is what did you run to be sure your overclock is rock steady stable at that speed/voltage?

I used the CPU stress test in the "Intel Extreme Tuning Utility" program for about 10 minutes.

Is 1.295 what you manually entered in bios?

You need to realize that your actual max vcore may be higher than that under load because of supplements to voltage behind the scenes by the bios such as LLC (Load Line Calibration).

What we need for you to do is to install HWMonitor (non pro version) and have it open on your screen while you run a stress test like Prime95 blend. Have the HWMonitor window stretched out from top to bottom as much as possible so we can see the readouts all t he way from the top to the section that has the core voltages displayed. Then crop and capture it with Snipping Tool in Windows accessories. Attach it with your next post using the Go Advance button at the lower right corner of any new post window.

Is 1.295 what you manually entered in bios?

You need to realize that your actual max vcore may be higher than that under load because of supplements to voltage behind the scenes by the bios such as LLC (Load Line Calibration).

What we need for you to do is to install HWMonitor (non pro version) and have it open on your screen while you run a stress test like Prime95 blend. Have the HWMonitor window stretched out from top to bottom as much as possible so we can see the readouts all t he way from the top to the section that has the core voltages displayed. Then crop and capture it with Snipping Tool in Windows accessories. Attach it with your next post using the Go Advance button at the lower right corner of any new post window.

I ran the Prime95 Blend test for about 20 minutes. I had no BSOD's, results are below.
u320O8U.jpg

Notice the CPU max vcore in the top line. It's 1.32. That's what I was telling you. Under full load your vcore is higher at times than what you entered in bios. Are you comfortable with that amount? Not saying you shouldn't be but just asking.

Notice the CPU max vcore in the top line. It's 1.32. That's what I was telling you. Under full load your vcore is higher at times than what you entered in bios. Are you comfortable with that amount? Not saying you shouldn't be but just asking.

Yeah i'm fine with that Vcore. It won't be hitting full load most of the time, so it isn't a issue to me.

It's a very average chip. You neither one or lost the silicon lottery.

I am with Neb. Ran a [email protected] for a year or so without issue, and running the Haswell-E (in sig)@1.325v for almost a year now, still going strong and fully stable

Back