• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temporary networking quandary

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

machausta

My issue is that Charter is over a month from running internet to my house...I ran all the conduit to the pole, but they have to run cable to that pole. My mom's house is 250 feet or so away, and even using my Asus RT-N12 D1 as a repeater, I just can't get enough signal to be functional. Screenshot_20170214-082921.png

I don't want to spend a fortune on something I won't use for long (like ubiquity devices).

Anybody got any ideas?

IMG_20170131_124651.jpg

This is the view from the living room towards mom's house.

is that a private drive or a public road? If it is a private drive build yourself a wood speed bump and run you some cat 6 to the mothers house.

Or if it is a public road make sure you put up signage for a speed bump:popcorn:

It's a private drive. I guess I could run some leftover schedule 40 under the road. I was hoping for a wireless solution and not a backhoe one.

No, that's too far for wireless. You need to run some ethernet from her house to yours. Your schedule 40 is a good idea. Just a few bucks invested and a sore back.

No, that's too far for wireless. You need to run some ethernet from her house to yours. Your schedule 40 is a good idea. Just a few bucks invested and a sore back.

Well, not quite...I do have a backhoe and dozer at my disposal. I had really hoped someone would point out some yagi antenna and router/repeater combination that might just be enough. The RSSI is artificially improved to -89 because there isn't any interference out here. I can get the kindle to play episodes of 'the grand tour' while sitting in the window now.

its fine for wireless, grab a cheap directional antenna if you can change the antenna on what ever the receiving device is, i built a cantenna for about $10 and i got like 40% signal from the router at my cousins house about 1200ft away that was on the other side of his house. antennae make a world of difference.

something like this should do the trick quite well. https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Dire...2333&sr=8-3&keywords=directional+antenna&th=1

yeah, the one i linked people in the reviews were doing up to like 2.5 mile links with them, i did alot of research the best bang for the buck is the tp-link satellite dish looking ones for $45 if you have geography on your side you can do a many many mile link with said unit. (was going to help a buddy out who lived in the boonies about 5 miles away in the country, had an almost line of sight with his house never got around to the project before he moved.)

Back