• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for reliable 500w psu on the cheap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

So I just tore down my mothers pc today to give her my old 840 evo, and noticed her power supply had 10 years under it's belt.

we got it back in 2007, around this time of year. It is some off brand. I'll have to crack open the case again in a few to get the brand name, but either way, it is too old for my taste. I'd rather not have to buy a new pc if I can avoid it :)

She uses Facebook, plays bejeweled, and solitair, so she doesn't need a super powerhouse. Her video card is a Radeon HD4770.(cant even get drivers for that card anymore. Is the intel I5 2500k igp(I gave her my old mobo, ram, and cpu) a suitable alternative?)

Basically, My knowledge pertains to parts she doesn't want to afford due to their price(EVGA G3) so I'm looking for one that is cheap and reliable.

Thanks for the input!

Budget: $50, lower is preferred.

I run the evga 500B nice, simi modular unit, no native sli or crossfire though.

As all the others said, u can go with Seasonic, EVGA or Corsair.. All being exceptional units. I had more experience with EVGA 430 and 500B and they are great.

Stop by a local computer repair or supplies store if you have one. We've got one here in town that I frequent and I picked up a second hand 500 watt Antec for $10 for the wife's entry level gaming "modified" Dell ;) I just needed something with a 6 pin plug to power a GPU since the original Dell 230 watt was, well, under powered...

check out neweggs refurb or open box sections. ive picked up several refurb evga 5 and 600 watt psus for folks. ive never spent more than $40 the least was $20 on a evga 400.

Back