• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How long does it take for a CPU to TurboBoost?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

Another one of my weird questions, sorry:

How long does it take for a CPU to go from an idle state (e.g. 760 mhz) to it's max turboboost frequency? Microseconds? Could you ever notice stutter from it? Would turning off TurboBoost (and thereby making it run at max freq at all times) give less average "lag"?

It should happen immediately as soon as you put a load on the system. I don't know how you would measure it but there should be no stutter or lag noticed.

And I believe it improved on Kaby...

It should not cause stuttering or anything no. Want to f8nd out if that is the culprit??? Test it. Run with full clocks and run with boost... report back on your 'butt dyno' experience. :)

On new platforms it's not even affecting benchmark results. It slightly affects results when you run full C states as then it puts some part of the chip into "sleep". It's also not recommended to use more than C1+EIST when you are overclocking as there can be some problems with high enough voltage while quick idle/load switching and you may see some instability ( not always ).

XTU sometimes gives "bonus" points for lower temps, lower voltages etc. I have no idea how it's counted but I've noticed that couple of times.

Last edited:
Back