• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG dismalDIRGE (A Ryzen Build)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Cooler Master bracket finally shipped out today. I was beginning to worry that it would need to be replaced.

Art and Literature by dismalDIRGE

Bird Thing by dismalDIRGE
View attachment 189194

dismalDIRGE said:
Bird That Begs
by DismalDIRGE

I feel like a bird with a broken wing
I feel so helpless, I can't even sing
Over this stress I try to fly
but just as I take off I begin to cry
This bird is broken and useless now
And just as it loses hope it hears a "meow"
EAT ME, EAT ME, the bird begs!
End it all for me, the bird that begs
For I wish for an escape because I can not fly
I can't soar above this so please help me die.

I'm loving the artwork so far! Very unique style.

Too bad you're not doing a custom watercooling loop. Am I the only one that things the Bird Thing would look great on a tower res? As for smile, I could see it transposed(black with white lines) and then used on the GPU backplate.

But only my thoughts, I can't wait to see what Blay's vision creates :D

Sadly there is no budget (or need) for a custom loop with this build, however, it would look pretty amazing. Maybe in the future when he's rich and helping support my family and I. ;)

I'm working up some very special work for Mr. DIRGE. With some of the Ryzen 5 news that released just recently I have some questions for him as well.

Time is both your ally and your mortal enemy.

Last Update for a bit.

DismalDIRGE and I decided to wait for RYZEN 5 to release as this is primarily a gaming build and there is still only a few titles that will benefit from 16 threads why not spend the money saved on better parts. So this is what has shown up today. :)

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB V-NAND SSD (OS and Gaming Drive)

View attachment 189283

View attachment 189284

View attachment 189285

View attachment 189286

Western Digital 1 TB HDD (Media)

View attachment 189287

and finally Phanteks RGB LED Strip Combo Kit

View attachment 189288

Everything is in now except the heart and soul of this build and I will have a few weeks to work out some special features before that can be ordered. Into the workshop I go.

That phanteks kit is pretty easy to work with. My case is approximately 1 inch too short so the strip curls on one end. The strip in the top fits well enough that I didn't have to use the double sided tape. The strip on the bottom tends to curl up in the back side, so I applied the tape to the end.

The lights are pretty bright.

Here is a shot with the lights on in the room:
View attachment 189314

Lights off in the room:
View attachment 189315
View attachment 189316

The aura software for my Asus Prime X370 is super easy to use to control the light color too. I can't wait to see the final build. It should look great blay!

Without revealing to much I can say I came up with a conceptual sketch for this build and tasked dismalDIRGE to draw it properly in clean line art. I'm hoping to incorporate this design into a case mod. I have a bit of time before the Ryzen 5 1600x releases so I'm hoping to utilize this time for the mod(s). With a little luck this may actually turn out looking nice. LOL

Well it's a roomy enough case. So you're not in short supply of options. That PSU cover is an excellent blank canvas.

Ryzen 5 release Update!

So here we are April 11th. The release of Ryzen 5, and where do I find myself? Standing in front of the local Microcenter ready to pick up the newest edition from AMD. If you haven't seen our review for the latest Ryzen 5 CPU's I would highly recommend it (Link). From a gamers stand point this really is the best bang for your buck.

Here is what was picked up for Mr. DIRGE today. A Ryzen 5 1600X 6 core, 12 thread CPU that has a stock clock of 3.6Ghz and boosts 2 cores to 4.0Ghz. This is the top 6 core CPU from AMD and will provide the power house behind this build. "With great power comes great responsibility." is what my Sensei used to tell me back when I was still in training. That mentality holds very true in the computing industry as well. So We've paired up the R5 with ASUS' most powerful non-extreme motherboard, the ASUS Prime X370 Pro. With more than enough power phases and all the bells and whistles any gamer and hopefully, future Overclocker (hint dismal) will need. So, enough story time. Here are some glory shots.

View attachment 190165

View attachment 190166

View attachment 190167

Here are a few close-ups. This isn't a review so I'm just going to show a few.

View attachment 190166

The X370 Heatsink has a plate that's painted white but this image is hard to tell. I think the close-up shows it a little better.

View attachment 190168

View attachment 190169

View attachment 190170

View attachment 190170

Here's a shot of the beautiful bonding moment. You remember the first time. Fit nice, just like a glove.

View attachment 190171

So now this build is in the testing stage. I have the essentials assembled on my test bench and installing all the drivers, Windows, Updated the BIOS to 0604 successfully (Yay, no brick!).

Here it's ready for it's first run.

View attachment 190172

Just kidding. I would never take someone else's build sub zero with them requesting it first. LOL

Back