• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issue with Water Wetter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tgrable

So after some reading and advice from a friend I was looking for something to put in my system for corrosion protection. Well I decided to go with water wetter. The thing is about 20-30 minutes after adding it to my system (only 3/4 cap full) i noticed these white little particles all in the water. I took a picture with the system off as I do not want to leave it going if this is going to cause more issues than it is worth.

Anyways I took a picture of the stuff in the res after it ran for an hour or so, but has been off all night while i decide if I want to flush and just go back to pure water. I have a silver kill coil which I have seen reports of causing corrosion on copper blocks etc.. so that is why I went with water wetter.

So is this crap floating around all in the water normal with water wetter? Should I be concerned and just flush my system now and go back with pure water?

35leza1.jpg

Btw I appreciate all the help given on these forums. Since the "friend" that told me this stuff is great has no res and his tubing is solid red so he has no way of even knowing if this is happening inside his own loop.

flush it and go back to pure, distilled water.
if you want to run something for corrosion try some zerex, g05, anti freeze, it's gold toned.
first put a light mixture in a glass and stir it well and see if you like the results.
if you are not running chilled water 5-10% should be enough.

No 3/4 of a cap. It asks for 1 cap full per quart. I havery about .75 quarts of water in my system. Will flush and drain tonight. So will silver in my loop cause corrosion with copper?

:rofl: my bad.

It can cause issue. EKWB tells you not to do it.

I have been running distilled and copper for a few years now with no adverse reactions.

The most important thing is a super clean loop before you fill and using good tubing. We always recommend Primochill advanced LRT.

Tube_Zero_Maintenance_Tubing_ZMT_Matte_Black_10_Feet

Is what I use it is pure rubber so no issues with plasticizers. Bends easily and haven't had issues with it collapsing.

I have to run to the autozone today to get stuff for an oil change this weekend, maybe they have some additive for JUST corrosion I can use. If not maybe I will just use a 10% mix of distilled and antifreeze.

I would love to go pure distilled but concerned I'll be the one that sees major corrosion to the point of failure haha.

Any recommendations of what to flush with? Listerine and distilled? Bleach and distilled?

Figure I will empty it out fill with a cleansing mixture and let run for an hr or so then go back to whatever I'll run for coolant.

Good thing is this gives me a chance to replace the last few barbs with compressions that finally showed up after the build lol.

So funny little bit of information. I have only had this setup for a few weeks with the new rad.. and i had flushed and ran just distilled then. Then I have been trying everything to get even the unoverclocked 7700k temps down. The water wetter saw maybe 2 hrs max in my system when running.. and the temps ofcourse didnt improvem but that was expected.

So after flushing again to remove that crap and running a cleanse pass then refilling the sytem.. I am seeing about 5-9c less on load temps in the same room temps.. so im a little confused as to why.

I ran 15 min of p95 and my max temp was like 71c on one core while the average however around 65-68 ish.

Before I would run mid to high 70's on the exact same setup.

So did I just have some massive air bubble somewhere in the system? I mean it ran whisper quiet before with decent flow.. so just curious why the temp drop all of a sudden when nothing really changed from my initial setup to this one.

my guess is air in the block or a massive air bubble in the rad.
I always shake and tilt the system every which way after I fill it.

Ya i think you are right. I do generally shake my components pretty good though.. So now sure how one was just hanging out in there. Oh well all is better now it appears now just need to delid this hot little cpu

Water wetter from what I recall, can be problematic and doesn't have great thermal properties when compared to distilled or other balanced premixed fluids. Glad you moved on from that stuff.

I honestly tell this to folks and some might disagree. You spend $$$ on nice water cooling gear but cheap out on one of the important components to a loop. The fluid. Some folks might preach and swear by distilled and biocide but sometimes these biocides can cause oxidization. The reputed H20 companies warn about using only distilled and a silver kill coil. I used this combination for almost 5 years. Everything ran great except the looks on some koolance fittings and multiple CPU waterblocks. I can only imagine what my rads look like. I have sinse switched sides and purchased some clear quality premixed fluid from Aquacomputer and have been running fine. Temp difference from distilled to premix was around a 1c-2c increase. No biggie.

The point is, spend the $20+ of premixed fluid annually on gear that could be worth hundreds, if not thousands of dollars, is well worth the investment at the end of the day. Trying to save $20+ while adding more risk to the equation makes no sense to me. It's fluid after all and the cheapest thing to purchase for water cooling loops.

Last edited:
Well I purchased a few bottles of the xspc ultra concentrated coolant mix.. that stuff is garbage. It foams up like it has soap in it or something. Sad really, been impressed with all the other xspc stuff.

Water wetter will shed heat faster than plain water-in an automotive type application. That's its purpose. I'm not familiar with anyone using it for anti corrosion reasons. I used it for years in bikes and cars and love it, but when you start cross application experiments these things will happen. Water Wetter breaks down the surface tension of water (how it works) but the temps in a PC cooling loop combined with the small quantity would show no advantage over distilled water. Sorry you have to dlush your loop, but at least you found out early.

Well I purchased a few bottles of the xspc ultra concentrated coolant mix.. that stuff is garbage. It foams up like it has soap in it or something. Sad really, been impressed with all the other xspc stuff.

I use Aquacomputer's DP ultra clear anti-foam all in one fluid. Works like a charm. Just needs a drain and refill annually. No complains here.

flush it and go back to pure, distilled water.

The very first answer gets my vote. Nothing works like pure distilled. I've been using it solely for about 10 years and never have any issues. Any other mixes I've tried throughout the years have ended up with issues.

i used watter wetter years ago with a koolance 1/4in loop and had the same issue as you did OP. White flakes throughout and cloudy tubing. Had to trash the tubing and clean everything by hand. Ive been running petras pt nuke and distilled for the last 7 or 8 years or so with no more issues except for a few barbs that had the chrome worn off but they didnt discolor the loop fortunately. that was in my last loop that ran for 5 plus years with just a few top offs. I never took it apart or cleaned it. i kinda wanted something to fail so i could get some new gear haha, but alas everything was fine when i finally took it apart and checked it.

Well the xspc ultra clear concentrate is a no go too. They are sending me another bottle because the first one I purchased suds up like a car wash. Sorta pissed I will have to drain and flush the loop all over and refill. Then again if this one works I'll be set for awhile

dont use that pre bottled crap plain distilled water and pt nuke or dead water is all you need the other stuff is just tossing away your money. There is no real temp differences at all and that stuff is normally 10+$ per liter bottle and distilled is like .75$ per gallon jug. I've bben water cooling since the old days when we used heater cores for rads unlike todays wide array of parts that can be had. And I've done it all chilled liquid, promethia's, sub zero chilled liquid and tec's only avenue I have not done is LN2 Trust me that bottled stuff is total shi(r)t

dont use that pre bottled crap plain distilled water and pt nuke or dead water is all you need the other stuff is just tossing away your money. There is no real temp differences at all and that stuff is normally 10+$ per liter bottle and distilled is like .75$ per gallon jug. I've bben water cooling since the old days when we used heater cores for rads unlike todays wide array of parts that can be had. And I've done it all chilled liquid, promethia's, sub zero chilled liquid and tec's only avenue I have not done is LN2 Trust me that bottled stuff is total shi(r)t

With all due respect, this is incorrect. While it might work for some, it won't work for others. Are folks willing to fork the dough when they preach distilled and biocide when the end user's gear starts falling apart? We've been warmed by our friends (EK, WATERCOOL) in the water cooling world. I think its time the old timers take away their DYI fluids and do whats right. Times have changed as we aren't using old car/motorcycle radiators no more and don't care what happens to it after the fact. We're spending lots on gear and a very small fraction of the cost goes to premixed fluids, rightfully so. Things have gotten better as these companies that spend R/D, have been vocal on using distilled with biocide as some of their gear won't dance well. I've seen it countless times. The warranty can also be voided if not used with standard premixed fluids.

I'd rather get a bad batch of premixed fluid that clouds and flakes which would result in a inconvenient flush and refill then end up with a ruined block or radiator.

Not too long ago, someone posted here this exact same thing.

Not too long ago, someone posted here this exact same thing.

I was thinking that very thing. I think it was in the Watercool thread (with Jakob) but I could be wrong. There was lots of corrosion from a homegrown solution that was actually promoted by a manufacturer. It led to some more R&D and better solutions from the maker of the gear.

Back