• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800k overclock fail

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bruceGH4

Registered
Capture.PNG Captur2e.PNG

I'm trying to crank up my performance a bit on my new rig. My bios has a lot of tools for automatic overclocking. The ez overclock put me at 4000mhz.
The extreme tweaker ran it up to 4600 before it failed. I have been using my system with no problems at 4200 so I thought that I would crank it up and test it at 4300 with my best core(1) at 4400. This is shown in the first screenshot, and this failed sometime after 30 minutes. So I've dialed it back a bit and am running prime95 blender as shown in screenshot 2. I set my ram up to 2448.
Any comments/info on this would be appreciated.

I have Captain 240ex by DEEPCOOL. It came with Pre applied thermal paste.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 188265

Looking like this after 2 hours of prime95. Is this too hot?

Ehh, Wouldnt run my CPU higher than 80c, 95 On hottest core seems too much, It wouldnt crash but its not so healthy for it. Have you set your voltages manually? Set it at 1.35volts and see if it crashes @4.4GHz, If it does add 0.01Volts and check again, When it finally doesnt crash, Run P95 for 30 mins, If it doesnt crash run it for 3 more hours, If it crash add 0.01volts and do all of it again. WATCH YOUR TEMPS AS YOU STRESSTEST!
If it doesnt crash, Do all of the above but instead of adding voltage, Lower it.

You're approaching the thermal limit, which induces some instability. Mark's advice is solid.

Doesn't prime stress all cores equally? Why is there is an over 20 °C difference in temperatures across the cores? Personally I'd redo the thermal paste.

Doesn't prime stress all cores equally? Why is there is an over 20 °C difference in temperatures across the cores? Personally I'd redo the thermal paste.

Yeah, this is my first build but the pre-applied paste looked as old and dried as the paste on the computer I ripped apart that got replaced.
It wasn't really sealed in the box, just a loose plastic cover.
I think I should step back my overclock and benchmark, redo the paste, and see what I get.
Thanks for the idea.

I was thinking of the paste being unevenly spread or so. Clearly not all cores will have the same temperature but 20 °C difference seems rather high to me.

And I'm with wingman, bad or dried up paste is more than 1-2 °C.

~20c when I switched my 660ti's paste, 4yo and never been cleaned beneath the shroud but this is an extreme example ;)

yes, redo the paste but, just don't expect great things.
temps vary from core to core, some cpu's more than others, nothing to get excited about.
80c on the hottest core should be your peak limit, lower is always better

I was using auto to set my voltages. Maybe they could be lower. Haven't got to the point where I will play with that.
My current plan: Take the pizza out of the oven. Then,
no wait, right now.....
Ok
Reduced my oc to 4000 and benchmarked it as shown,
I ordered some new thermo paste (arctic silver $8) from China, should get it in 2 weeks.
Was going to use my son's leftover paste but determined it to be sh*t based on a testing site.
Will redo my cooling block mount with arctic silver and retest.
Very cool to have six cores to compare.
This is my bench after 1 hour 40 minutes blending.
originalpaste120primes.PNG

Be careful when you apply the Arctic Silver 5. It is electrically "capacitive" and you don't want to get it in the wrong places. Arctic Cooling MX4 might have been a better choice. It is safer and probably conducts heat a little better than AS 5.

You'll want to use manual voltage control, you'll shave a lot of vCore off.

new thermal paste

mar4ho43min120.PNG
Got my $8cnd tube of arctic 5 in the mail and re-did my thermal paste.
The effect is 5 degrees c, which I think is significant.
Thanks for the advise. I guess the next step is to adjust my core voltage.
By the way, the pre-applied paste on my Deepcool rig looked fully spread so I think maybe just lower quality than Arctic 5.
Also I applied using tinting/stripe method from arctic 5 manual.

Back