• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

would this be a decent CPU upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

ok so first off as most of you know i have a some what older desktop pc socket 1366 and the reason i cant save for a new pc is because im disabled i cant work and only get so much money each month and it all goes towards food and bills only reason i can upgrade is because i was given a 150 dollar gift-card for xmas so im wondering if i upgrade from a xeon w3565 which is the same as an i7 960 to a xeon w3680 which is the same as a 980X would it be a decent upgrade my GPU is an evga 960 2gig i know i should really ditch the older hardware but this is all i can afford so what do you guys think also for those who ask i can get the 6 core 3680 for 100$ used also my CPU will be closed lopped liquid cooled also if im not mistaken the W3680 can be overclocked as its unlocked

What are you using the system for?
What power supply is in it?
Does the motherboard BIOS have support for the CPU?

Editing... Of what kind? What programs?

It won't help a lick with gaming.

I'd be wary of pushing that OEM power supply too far...

im not seeing anywhere, that says the W3680 is unlocked. as well im with ATM, i wouldnt push ocing on a OEM psu, much less on the motherboard. only unlocked ones i know would be the X cpus or xtremes. X58 motherboards still got for a pretty penny, last i saw my Asus Rampage II Gene was 250. i got lucky at the time i bought one and got cpu/3x2gig kit and mobo for $260ish shipped. though now it just sits unused in the spare room. i guess i need to put it up in the classies to see if anyone wants it... i have lot of older HW i need to sell or its going to goodwill, i need to start getting rid of things instead of hanging on to them.

im not seeing anywhere, that says the W3680 is unlocked. as well im with ATM, i wouldnt push ocing on a OEM psu, much less on the motherboard. only unlocked ones i know would be the X cpus or xtremes. X58 motherboards still got for a pretty penny, last i saw my Asus Rampage II Gene was 250. i got lucky at the time i bought one and got cpu/3x2gig kit and mobo for $260ish shipped. though now it just sits unused in the spare room. i guess i need to put it up in the classies to see if anyone wants it... i have lot of older HW i need to sell or its going to goodwill, i need to start getting rid of things instead of hanging on to them.

http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/Q4/Q4EH.html

http://forums.evga.com/W3680-Xeon-unlocked-multiplier-m1330735.aspx

http://www.overclock.net/t/1499987/intel-xeon-w3680-sold

The ones I posted earlier in the thread regarding what software you use...

Sony Vegas will utilize CUDA cores for rendering, this will be much faster with your GTX 960 than any 1366 based CPU.
You won't see a benefit for gaming or rendering with the new CPU.

Doesn't matter, won't make a noticeable difference in games and the GPU will still be faster for rendering.

in other words the cpu would be a side grade and worth nothing
now doing something with gpu and psu at the same time would be an upgrade.

Back