• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Question] Which CPU would you take if the price was the same?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITAngel

Hey guys so I am wondering which of these two cpu and mobo would you guys take base on the following information.

Intel i7-4770K (OC 4.5Ghz) , Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H Used $300.00

or

Intel i5-4690K (New), AsRock Z87 Extreme4 (New) $300.00

So the first one is used the 4770K and the second was a brand new built a friend made but the issue is he never used the system has been off all this time due to his work have not allow him to use the system. So he wants me to sell all the parts out and so I figure I could buy the cpu and mobo from him being that is new and never been used. However the first option 4770K looks nice and can OC to 4.6Ghz the person kept it under water and at 4.5Ghz all this time. Giving the choice which one do you guys would take. I may get the i5 for CPU and mobo for around $240 but lets say both were the same price which one would you think is a safe and best route to take?

Thanks In advance!

Bah, 4770k hand down.

Edit; 4.6GHz for a 4770k is not great. But depends on how far the owner went... Still, @4.6GHz, it is a very powerful CPU.
If hitting the thermal wall, you could still de-lid it and gain a couple of hundred MHz. IIRC, max vCore is around 1.4v on Haswell (use to run [email protected]/1.39v, de-lidded)

He said "Average OC's: 4.3GHz daily at 1.18v, 4.5GHz at 1.27v. Both profiles 24/7 stable in Prime95 blend. 4.6GHz was stable at 1.336v but never used. Have not tried higher." What you think about the chip then?

Chips is all right then. Right in the average, maybe a bit above.: roughly 0.05v for 100MHz step to 4.6. Should do [email protected]. That's OK.

Above that, you might hit the vcore wall (or not ;) )

I see good to know, so you still think is better than getting a new mobo and cpu for maybe the same price or a bit less? Do you think $300 for the 4770k is and motherboard is okay or should I offer less?

For around $300? CPU and Mobo for real? If that is the case I will wait.

Its all rumors right now, but it does currently seem that it would be possible based on current leaked pricing.

I am personally waiting for Ryzen next month before I decide to do anything, but out of the two you posted Id go with the used 4770K for sure.

Nice actually I may just go with the i5-4690k for many reason. 1. I have access to receipts if something happen to the motherboard or CPU or ram I can easily RMA it. Two I know all the parts are new never been abused or overclocked etc... Three I am helping a friend out sell his parts. Which means he helping me too. In the end he is also giving me a good price for the CPU/MOBO. The more I think about it the more I lean towards his stuff over extra performance. Maybe I am crazy but $220 vs $300 I with items still on warranty makes perfect sense. Right?

If you are wanting this primarily fro gaming then the i5 4690k is tailor made for that. At the same frequency it will go toe to toe with the 4770k since games won't be able to use the HT technology of the 4770k. The 4690k may also overclock a little better since it is the "tock" of the "tick tock" pattern that Intel has used to describe their CPU development strategy. The "tock" represents refinement and tweaking of a new CPU generation so that the 4x90 line CPUs are usually more energy efficient and overclocs just a hair better than their predecessors, the 4x70 series. Because of no HT, the 4690k will also run cooler than the 4770k which may help if cooling is marginal when overclocking.

If you are wanting this primarily fro gaming then the i5 4690k is tailor made for that. At the same frequency it will go toe to toe with the 4770k since games won't be able to use the HT technology of the 4770k. The 4690k may also overclock a little better since it is the "tock" of the "tick tock" pattern that Intel has used to describe their CPU development strategy. The "tock" represents refinement and tweaking of a new CPU generation so that the 4x90 line CPUs are usually more energy efficient and overclocs just a hair better than their predecessors, the 4x70 series. Because of no HT, the 4690k will also run cooler than the 4770k which may help if cooling is marginal when overclocking.
Oh good to know I am going after high airflow cooling but keeping the system quiet a bit. :) Thanks for the info I learned something new today.

If you are wanting this primarily for gaming then the i5 4690k is tailor made for that. At the same frequency it will go toe to toe with the 4770k since games won't be able to use the HT technology of the 4770k. Because of no HT, the 4690k will also run cooler than the 4770k which may help if cooling is marginal when overclocking.

Not sure I agree here. I noticed a big gain in FPS and feeling of overall "seat of the pants" feel when I upgraded from my 4690K (which clocks like crap and needs lots of voltage) to a 4790K, in some games (Battlefield 4 (a four year old game) showed a 30+ FPS gain at same clocks), Battlefield 1 also showed a gain in FPS (though not to as great a degree as BF4, probably because my low VRAM is holding my GPU back). I don't think either game was using all of the threads (think they were using maybe five to six of them at 60-80%) the others were sitting at 20-30% usage. With the 4690K though, all threads were using 90-100%.

Avoid 4X90K's that were made in Vietnam and have and X in the batch number (they have a tendency to need more voltage than processors made in other countries (specifically Malaysia and China IIRC)).

My 4690K: 4.4GHz 1.29v 77-80°C full load
My 4790K: 4.4GHz 1.15v 72°C full load

What happened there? They're clocked to the same speed, and even with four additional threads the 4790K runs cooler. I know the 4690K needs a lot more voltage, but geez. It's adding a lot of heat to that little quad core.

Anyway, if both systems were the same price, I'd probably go with the 4770K.

Last edited:
Back