• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 4790k 24/7 my settings help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ppdemo

Registered
hi guys im new here and i need your opinions about this OC settings for my i7 4790k for 24/7 in relation to cache voltage(vring), I'm worried that this is too high, cause from what I read, cache voltage should not be beyond 1.15v for 24/7 use.

Stable 4.6 ghz settings:

Multiplier ratio= 46
Min/max cache ratio=45
Vcore= 1.225
Cpu cache= 1.290 (this is my biggest concern) to high?
Vccsa= 0.824
Vccio Analog and Digital= Auto (Hwinfo64 show me 1.016v)
Vccin=1.808v

I think your cache voltage at 1.290 is marginally safe for 24/7. But may I ask why you feel a need to run your cache ratio at 45x? The real world benefit of that is not noticeable. You may see a small improvement in bench marks but not in apps.

1.185v 40x cache multiplier

- - - Updated - - -

How much cache ratio would you recommend?

Personally, I would just leave it at stock. It just makes your overclock more complex and generates more heat with very little performance benefit.

On the other hand, if you find that increasing the cache ratio helps you get a higher core ratio overclock then bump it up a little. I had a 4790k that seemed to be more stable in overclocked condition if I didn't allow the too much differential to develop between the core and cache ratios. The best combo seemed to be: core 48x and cache 44x. It was an unusually good chip that I could actually overclock to 5 ghz stable. But I ran it 24/7 at 4.8 ghz. This was a delidded chip using Liquid Ultra TIM under the lid and a custom water cooling setup with 360mm radiator.

Last edited:
just leave the cache at default or 4.4, I have never found anything in it.
what I have found to help is per core clocking.
I have one that runs 52,52,48,48.
most of what we do is single threaded and you should see this rig boot from power off, press the button, BAM!!! fully booted and apps pop so fast it make me blink.

just leave the cache at default or 4.4, I have never found anything in it.
most of what we do is single threaded and you should see this rig boot from power off, press the button, BAM!!! fully booted and apps pop so fast it make me blink.

Mmm... Interesting idea... WIll try different multi on the rig in sig...

I have never found anything in it.
it seems to me when cache ratio is 45x , for example the fps in games become more stable and without drop.

- - - Updated - - -

please can you share all your settings in this configuration? especially what voltages you use for differents cores ratio

no secret sauce to it.
change all core to per core, this chip happens to not need any change in voltage to run 1 and 2 core at 5.2 and 3 and 4 cores at 4.8.
here's what goes on, when a single or 2 cores are being used it runs at 5.2.
When 3 or four cores are being used it clocks to 4.8.

170219140313.png

If folks have there main overclock at 5.2GHz it bypasses all that and syncs all cores at 5.2GHz. You would have to have the main overclock at 4.8GHz or base clock for it to work.

I would not use that setting games and windows, encoding use 4 cores at the same time.

wingman, slow down and explain why you wouldn't please.
much of what we do is single threaded.
write an e-mail to mom, single thread.
open a windows program, single thread.
render an image, multi thread.
many games are now multi threaded.
many older games are single threaded.

The way Windows 10 is setup it shares the program load to all 4 cores if look. When folks Game or start up Windows, Encode at the settings you have in Bios they only have 4.8GHz, instead of 5.2GHz what is the point of that?

The way Windows 10 is setup it shares the program load to all 4 cores if look. When folks Game or start up Windows, Encode at the settings you have in Bios they only have 4.8GHz, instead of 5.2GHz what is the point of that?

Wingman, are you on medication today or a mobile device? "If look"? Still not following what you are trying to say.

Okay, Wingman, I think I see what you are saying but not sure I see it in Task Manager/Resource Monitor. On my system the graphs look different for each core.

Besides, what if some of the cores won't do 5.2 ghz?

Attachments

• graph.PNG
    graph.PNG
    18.4 KB · Views: 224
52,52,48,48 is what THIS chip will do, without adding to the core voltage. not all chips are going to do this.

perf mon.PNG
doesn't really do a very good job of that.

Last edited:
Win10 task manager is a simplified version and only shows one graph, but tbh, if you run resource monitor and run a superpi single thread benchmark, it will spread that one thread between the cores as time goes on. IE it starts on core 0, then shifts to core 3 and so on and so forth. This may be what wingman was saying. At least that is what I have observed on most systems.

Back