• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best rar unlocking program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shant

Hi, i have my own personal rar file back from around 2009 that i have long forgotten the password, it contains my windows live messenger chat logs.
i wanted to ask for the best software out there that someone can recommend, i tried one or two programs but they seem kind of slow at 55~60 passwords per second, shouldn't they work at at least a few hundred thousand per sec?
anyways, does anyone have experience on the available programs? something that supports resume options, saves checkpoints? and possibly gpu acceelation i guess.

Thanks!

I also have a personal file I forgot the password to.
It would be interesting to have a software run on it for five years just to see if it can tell me what the password was that I forgot because I can't believe I forgot the password.

The thing that bugs me most is I don't understand why these programs do not keep a clear record on WHAT was tried so that if you run a program for a year, you can continue with another and have it not repeat what was tried.

This is an excellent topic, hope someone with experience with this posts more info they have experienced.

there are some that are claiming to make use of multiple computers on the lan, but i don't know how reliable they are so im afraid to purchase any of them.
this is the first time in my life i regret not using simple one word passwords like most people do :p
does anyone know how to calculate an estimation time based on characters?

Both letters and numbers take many years for over 6 characters. This is why it would be crucial to make sure the already done stuff is not wasted.
No one talks about the crucial question of saving all the already tried combos after a year's worth of work.
But that is a crucial question since your computer may reset, and then what?
Unless the pass is all digits which most are not, you are not looking at a quick crack here. Years, not months for longer passwords.

Whoa, sadly i can't remember anything about it so i guess it is worth trying running it for a month.
I heard about gpu based attack as well, it seems like im never going to be able to recover it, but still i guess it is worth exploring the available programs in the market and how fast they work, if there is an app that uses both cpu and gpu power together and can make use of all computers in the LAN (i have 6 computers in the apartment), it should significantly reduce the time! but you'd have to have a pretty important file to run all computers for years.
again even if i won't be able to recover my file,i would very much like to explore the available tools for other people that may end up in this thread.

Shant, please post results of any tests you try, would you?

Hi, no luck yet!
the best tool i have found is "Passware Kit standard", it was able to do 25k passwords per second and supports gpu acceeleration, you can also resume paused attacks.
i should fix my signature, im currently running 2x r9 280x, stock 3770k and a proper ssd none cached.
i did check out the forensic version, it seems to support a whole lot of stuff, but no way i am paying 999$ for something that cannot garantee recovery.

Last edited:
Sick. Does that just run all possible combos, or is it dictionary based? I'd be interested to know what encryption it actually runs, is it AES? Depending on how it was encrypted, there may be a better tool, but I don't know enough about the encryption stuff for rar files.

It supports dictionary,xieve,brute force,known password/part,previous passwords.

Back