• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to upgrade! From 2700k@5ghz to a ??????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TahoeDust

OK. I have had my 2700k since December 2011. It has been running at 4.9ghz everyday since I bought it and is capable of benchmarks @ 5.2ghz. Needless to say, I have been very happy with it. However, I am tired of fighting the itch to upgrade. I'm looking at picking up a new CPU, Mobo, and DDR4. My question is, where do I go from here? I have not been active in the enthusiast community for a few years, so I don't know what the new hotness is. My budget is probably ~$750 for the CPU, mobo, and memory, but I certainly don't mind spending less if there is a chip out there that punches way above it's weight class like my 2700k has.

Here is current system specs...

Corsair 650D Case w/ upgraded fans
i7-2700k @ 4.9Ghz
Asus P8Z68 Deluxe
Gskill 16gb 1866 CL9 ram
EVGA 980ti
H100 Cooler Running Push/Pull w/ 4 Gentle Typhoon AP15 fans
2 x VSamsung Evo 840 250gb SSD Raid 0
WD 7200rpm 1TB
EVGA Supernova G2 850w

Wait until Ryzen releases here in a couple of weeks and figure out what is better for you... Intel or a Ryzen chip. :)

It would take a lot for me to spend money to move away from a 2700k running a 5 mhz. That's a pretty potent machine still.

It would take a lot for me to spend money to move away from a 2700k running a 5 mhz. That's a pretty potent machine still.

I just recently upgraded from a 2600k that I would overclock from 4.8-5ghz depending on what I was doing.. 4.8 was generally my everyday. Anyways I just upgraded to a 7700k on my gaming machine and while the noticeable difference isn't huge it is definiately there. So for example in intel burn test on very high my 2600k at 5ghz would pull between 100-105 gflops. That same test on the 7700k at stock clock of 4.5 ghz yeilds a 138-142 Gflops. So just from that one example that is a pretty big increase even at lower clocks.

It doesn't stop there though.. in cpu heavy games like say gta5 you will see a upper fps increase. Also the dd4 ram is a nice addition while not a huge difference either it does still give fps and load improvements.

Then you get into all the new z270 chipset features. More pci-e lanes, better on board sound options , m.2 support, sata 6gb on all connectors, usb 3.1, etc...

So while 5ghz sounds great on paper (like i thought too) in reality the jump to a 4+ year newer architecture comes with many advantages. So when you add all of that up it is pretty hefty increase.

As for Ryzen I too was waiting on it, but in the end I tend to upgrade as needed and I don't see ryzen hitting the same single thread performance. I mean the 7700k is pulling 11000 ish on the multi-threat benchmarks where the 6 core ones are only pulling 12000's. My point is the 7700k has massive single threat performance and even the multi-thread is good for a quad.

I would just go for the i7 7700k, I really don't think from the bench test AMD Ryzen will beat it.

Last edited:
Lucky for me I don't have this itch. Still, I'm thinking about next intel gen. as a good upgrade for myself. While there is no doubt that the newer tech is better, I can still play every game with the necesary eye candy. GTAV plays best for me with vsync on and that 60 fps is easily reached. So that 2700k at 4,9 Ghz should have little problems with new games when bundled with a powerfull graphicscard.
But an itch is an itch, so if you feel you want a new computer to play with, then by all means.

Save your money SB+980ti you do not need a upgrade .
Maybe spend that $ on a NAS. Or nice new keyboard and mouse. Or a 1440p monitor

Or 500 pints of beer!

Joke apart, agreed.

Wait until Q3/4. Ryzen R5, Vega, Kabylake-X, 1080ti (Oh no, this one is next week!).

Lucky for me I don't have this itch. Still, I'm thinking about next intel gen. as a good upgrade for myself. While there is no doubt that the newer tech is better, I can still play every game with the necesary eye candy. GTAV plays best for me with vsync on and that 60 fps is easily reached. So that 2700k at 4,9 Ghz should have little problems with new games when bundled with a powerfull graphicscard.
But an itch is an itch, so if you feel you want a new computer to play with, then by all means.

My current system I built primarily as a test system and to get data off of my old RAID setup (which I still haven't done yet):

Intel 4690k
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK (*highly* broken... but a soldering iron and a few caps later...)
Gigabyte GTX 960 4GB
8GB Gskill RAM
Corsair 450TX
Stock Cooler and a Zalman on the side

Like I said... I mainly bought this machine for the reasons above... but, once I installed new caps on it... and heatsinks on the north, south, and mosfets, AND some other stuff (the board itself only cost me 20 bucks so...), I've found it handles everything I've thrown at it pretty admirably... Even Live Streaming in 1080p an 4k video editing... I'll look to upgrade to SSD and 32GB of ram soon... but other than that...

Your system... overclocked, with more RAM, and a 980ti should, theoretically beat the PANTS off of mine. I just can't imagine what you would need to do that your current system can't do...

THAT said... If you really have the itch to upgrade... there's really no other choice than the 7700k... so that decision should be EASY. (who really wants to "roll the dice" with AMD anyway?)

Personally though, if I were you, I'd look more towards upgrading my video card to something insane and getting a 4k monitor.

2160p or GO HOME! :p

Back