• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Would Cause These Issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dorito Bandit

Hi,

I've been losing my Internet connection a lot the last couple months, and I can't figure out what may be causing this. I will lose connection for 2 or 3 minutes at most, then I am back online again. This may happen several times a day. I am connected directly to my cable modem with an Ethernet cable. No wireless router or anything in between. When I go offline, I will have to disable my NIC and click the Diagnose button to let it sort itself out. Sometimes this may take a few attempts to finally fix the problem. I've also tried everything in this article as well. No matter what I have done, the fix is only temporary. My best friend is a network admin at the local hospital, and I've done several things that he has recommend as well. I usually can figure things out, but I have no clue what is causing this.

I will get the following message at times.

Ethernet Issues.JPG

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Are you using the motherboards Nic or do you have and add on Nic card?

Who is your ISP?

How old is the modem? Is it a rental or did you buy it retail? This could be a sign that the unit is failing or at least overheating. After a few minutes it cools down and you are up and running again.

Has the firmware been changed by you or by the ISP previous to this issue?

We are served by Xfinity/Comcast where I live and once in a while they will push buggy firmware to our gateway devices but they can and will roll it back if necessary.

Are you using the motherboards Nic or do you have and add on Nic card?

Who is your ISP?

How old is the modem? Is it a rental or did you buy it retail? This could be a sign that the unit is failing or at least overheating. After a few minutes it cools down and you are up and running again.

Has the firmware been changed by you or by the ISP previous to this issue?

We are served by Xfinity/Comcast where I live and once in a while they will push buggy firmware to our gateway devices but they can and will roll it back if necessary.

I am using the motherboards NIC, and the modem is new and my own. I replaced the Comcast modem with this one around last October. I have thought about everything, even the modem being the cause. All lights on it indicate that everything is working as it should, though. I was actually wondering if the modem may be getting too hot internally and triggering this. It's placed out in the open where heat can easily escape from the vent holes, though. I usually can figure things out, but this has me scratching my head.

I self-activated my modem through the Comcast activation page without needing to call or contact them. Maybe there is something they can do on their end to check it? Maybe the need to update it? This Internet issue, or what ever it is, started months ago, AFTER the new modem was installed.

Have you tried an add on NiC to see if that would eliminate the issue? Could be a flaky NIC or NIC driver.

I'd test with another nic...

...do other computers which go through that modem show the same behavior (didn't test it.. do it!)? That would tell you if it's a specific pc issue or an issue from the modem/isp... same as swapping the nic out.

I'd test with another nic...

...do other computers which go through that modem show the same behavior (didn't test it.. do it!)? That would tell you if it's a specific pc issue or an issue from the modem/isp... same as swapping the nic out.

Unfortunately, this is currently the only computer in my house. May try to get someone with a laptop to come by to test this.

Thanks everyone. :thup:

Back