• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU fan speed error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The pump has a special header. Wouldn't the error then be about the pump and not the CPU fan.
What happens if you plug the CPU fan into the pump header and the pump into the CPU fan header by mistake?

They change nothing when i plug on other header, but i see a new thing in the red circle this part is particulary hot and the blue cold, is it my pump dosent work ?

Both hoses should be relatively the same temp if it's working properly

im gonna bring my wc back so,
I also resume the situation if someone have an advice about it:

Got that screen when i boot: On my MB i got the Boot_Device_Led light orange
Q_Code is 99
And the upper tube is hot at the end of the waterblock, but the lower tube is not ->

Last edited:
Both hoses should be relatively the same temp if it's working properly

That's a good point. I think that liquid coming out of the radiator should be at least slightly cooler than liquid going in. Maybe not an obvious amount.
But if there is no pump at all then should be hot in and out. So maybe the rad is plugged?

That's a good point. I think that liquid coming out of the radiator should be at least slightly cooler than liquid going in. Maybe not an obvious amount.
But if there is no pump at all then should be hot in and out. So maybe the rad is plugged?

Don't forget though heat rises.
Either way sounds like the AIO needs to be replaced. It doesn't work on any fan/pump header so it's not likely the mobo is the issue. Even if it is "plugged" it's within warranty and should be returned. No sense voiding warranty by opening it up.

Johan45, just to set the record straight, heat does not rise in a vacuum. It is evenly distributed in all directions. In a container with no fans that has air, the heat rises because the air molecules gain heat energy and become lighter, rising to the top, causing the cooler molecules to drop to the bottom, and you do get some natural airflow. You add fans it completely tosses the above basic physic principals out the window.

Heat does not always rise. You add fans, the heated or cooled air goes wherever the fans point.............................

You're right, I just took the easy answer. In a closed system( not a vacuum) the heat is being transferred to the water in the block . Since the pump isn't working the heat can only go in one direction ( assuming the impeller is blocking passage) since water transfers heat much better than the plastics used in the pump so as the heat makes it's way out of the block and into the tubing it's transferring heat to the tube and the water trapped in that tube.

Last edited:
I have this same problem daily, my problem might be because my cores are all running at 42.00 whereas originally they were 41/42/41/42 or something of the sort. I think i made them all 4200 through AI Suite 3, i had a thread on here a while back about the same issue. OP might have the same problem but a different reason for it.

My MB is Asus x-99 A ii. It comes with software called Fanexpert to coordinate the fans and pump.
Fanexpert is showing my pump running constantly at 2460rpm, which seems really fast, but its very quiet.
It this a reasonable speed?
Second, I assume one day the pump will fail and either my core will overheat and shut down or I will get a warning, correct?
Nowhere in the manual did it say that it will do this, so can I trust that it will, or can the pump just fail and fry the CPU cores?

I guess my real question is, what do you have to do to actually wreck your CPU?

My MB is Asus x-99 A ii. It comes with software called Fanexpert to coordinate the fans and pump.
Fanexpert is showing my pump running constantly at 2460rpm, which seems really fast, but its very quiet.
It this a reasonable speed?
Second, I assume one day the pump will fail and either my core will overheat and shut down or I will get a warning, correct?
Nowhere in the manual did it say that it will do this, so can I trust that it will, or can the pump just fail and fry the CPU cores?

I guess my real question is, what do you have to do to actually wreck your CPU?

You should be ok. Most modern day setups have safety protocals in place. Once your CPU reaches a certain high threshold, the system will eventually shut itself off or you can plug in the pump's header to the CPU fan header and if it ever should fail, the PC should shut itself down since it doesn't recognize a cooler anymore.

The pumps RPMs are fine. You can even go higher than 4k on some of the premium pumps. Nothing alarming there. It's different than the fan RPM. In some BIOS's or 3rd party software, you can specify certain thresholds if you'd like before the default one from the MB kicks in.

Thanks for the info on pump speeds. My MB has a dedicated pump header so I'm sure my system is keeping tabs on it.
At least it was able to set up the speed profile automatically.

Hey guys, im back for some news.
if they can help anybody with that problem

for my hight temp when i go into the bios, after change my watercooling now it work good
and for the error message, go into bios>boot setting>waiting for f1 error>disabled

thanks for the help guys!

Glad to hear.

The only downfall is not having that feature enabled for a system shutdown if say a pump failed, before overheating does it for you.

Back